Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

Garage
Exterior light issues

I'm having some exterior light issues. I have tested or replaced every bulb, but the following lights don't turn on:

Driver side front parking light
Driver side high beam
Passenger side rear fog light

Additionally, the driver side front fog light comes on but is very dim. Every other light functions normally.

What could the issue be? Headlight switch? If so, why doesn't the driver side high beam work?

Thanks!

desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Passenger side fog light isn't supposed to work. They come this way from the factory. Strange, but true.

The driver side headlight issue is probably just a bad connection as this is fairly common. Try removing the light and make sure that the car side connector is not loose in the frame and reinstall headlight, making sure that it seats well.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Passenger side fog light isn't supposed to work. They come this way from the factory. Strange, but true.

The driver side headlight issue is probably just a bad connection as this is fairly common. Try removing the light and make sure that the car side connector is not loose in the frame and reinstall headlight, making sure that it seats well.
You're right. Car side connector is very loose. I can't quite figure out what the issue is; will respond if I can't figure it out.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

If you can't get it to connect right, one option is to remove the wheel liner which gives you access to the connector from the inside
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
If you can't get it to connect right, one option is to remove the wheel liner which gives you access to the connector from the inside
Thanks for the suggestion.

That car-side connector is a poor design, IMO. It's held in place with flimsy plastic struts, which I of course broke trying to figure out why it was loose to begin with. Oops. So, looks like the only way to firmly attach is to remove the front wheel liner. I take the wheel off and go to remove the first plastic rivet...and snap it in two.

Oh well. Such is life. I'm going to order a few dozen plastic rivets from Pellican, take a few days off of car maintainence to regain my patience, and try again