Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 10:33 PM   #1

Question Where can I get a 1997 manual?

This would be for a Boxster, of course! Is it best to go through dealer or can I find one on ebay or maybe on this forum? Do I need a specific 1997 manual or will any manual up to say 2003 work?

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Which manual are you looking for? Bentley manual or the general manual that came with the car. Whatever you do make sure you buy something for the 2.5L engine which was up to '99.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #3

General manual

Looking for the original owner's manual. Thanks for the tip. So if I can find one between 1997 and 1999, would I be okay?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:44 AM   #4

I would order one at the dealer, as they are not that expensive.

Year specific would be better.

Good luck
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:01 AM   #5

Thumbs up Thanks Brucelee...

Since you're in CA too, do you know a place or resouce where I can find a great independant Boxster mechanic up here in Fresno? Since a 1997 is out of warranty, I'd like to find an indendent shop to help with work. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #6

Sorry, I don't.

I have mixed feelings on the ind. mechanics. Usually, a lower rate per hour but frankly, I have seen many Porsches coming into the service dept at my dealer due to the fact that the ind. could not repair the car.

Fact is, the dealers have many tools/resources not available to the local Hans or Deiter.

IMHO.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:03 AM   #7

Brucelee is on the money about the current general state of competence of independant Porsche shops to truly maintain and repair late-model Porsches, Box and Carrera both.
As time goes on, we will begin to see 986/996-trained Porsche techs migrating into the independant shops, but not a lot of that has happened as yet. Plus the independants usually will not have the diagnostic computer eqpt the dealers have to invest in. The $4,500 one the dealers have is NOT the same as the $80 one you can buy from Auto Zone.
I took my car to an indie for it's yearly oil change and check-over a month or so ago. The shop is well-respected in the area, in business for 20-plus years, works on everything from 550 Spyders to, well, Boxsters. Their bread-and-butter business is of course the '70s and '80s 911s. While they did as far as I could tell a decent enough job of that simple operation, I did not come away with a lot of confidence that they did, or could do, much more than look to see that nothing was falling off the car. While the cost of $135 was about half the cost quoted to me by the dealer, I think I got about half the job, too.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #8

Yes, Ronzi is accurate.

I have a local guy who does routine service for me, oil changes, plugs, belts etc.

But, if I have a serious issue, it is off to the Porsche service dept. Since they have ALL the right tools, diagnostics, and train the daylights out of their staff, they really do have a let up on the later model year cars.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #9

I guess I'm lucky. Hans has the $4000 PST tool and works at the dealership all day and on my car evenings and weekends. He also has every tool imaginable, or borrows it from the shop while working on my car.

You Houston and near-Houston boxster owners really need to contact me for Hans' phone number! What a great guy to know.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote