Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Hail Damage from Today's Sudden Storm

Damn, took my Boxster to work today because I have enjoyed the weather this week (after having purchased it in November just as the bad weather got here) and a sudden hail storm swept in this morning and left little dents all over the trunk, hood, and tops of the door. Only in Ohio can it be 80 degrees outside and hail.

The dents are not super obvious, but on a black car like mine they glow as you glance over the paint.

Oh well, that's what I have insurance for. Allstate drive in appointment scheduled for Sunday morning.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about that.

Is paintless dent repair an option?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Possible, although I wouldn't mind a respray. The previous owner got a little rough with the polisher and there are a couple of very light burn marks from his overzealous work.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #4

Garage
I have Allstate also. They should pay for this if you have comprehensive. Darn weather.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

How do insurances survive if they have to keep repainting cars due to bad weather? Maybe this is why insurance is so damn $$ in California and I never once had an act of god damage my car.
My brother lives in Wisconsin, and since he moved there he has had 2 deer collisions with major damage and a MiniVan that was freakin totaled due to hail damage!
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #6

I got caught out in a brief hail storm last summer (also a black car) and took about 12 hits on the hood and front fenders. The Miracle Dent guy fixed me up for about $150 iirc and he did a flawless job.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim1ock77 View Post
Damn, took my Boxster to work today because I have enjoyed the weather this week (after having purchased it in November just as the bad weather got here) and a sudden hail storm swept in this morning and left little dents all over the trunk, hood, and tops of the door. Only in Ohio can it be 80 degrees outside and hail.

The dents are not super obvious, but on a black car like mine they glow as you glance over the paint.

Oh well, that's what I have insurance for. Allstate drive in appointment scheduled for Sunday morning.
My condolences on the damage...from what little I've heard on this issue, I think the paintless dent repair approach is often highly successful. One correction: We lived in Kansas for 16 years---we saw PLENTY of occasions where it was 80 or better outside and we got hail. (It's not the temp down here, but the temp tens of thousands of feet up, where hail is formed, that counts!)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #8

Garage
Frodo, where in KS did you live? I've seen hail, hot temps, tornados and freezing cold all in one day many, many times! In '11 we had a hail storm so bad it completely destroyed my truck. I saved some of the hail balls in my freezer. They were baseball sized. We had hail here Tues. It was pee sized and nobody really notices it at that.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

I have a paintless dent removal guy that travels the east coast every two months then out to "tornado alley" for their season. He does mostly insurance and dealer jobs. As with anything there are some good ones and some that are not so good. The guy I use is amazing. He pulled out what looked like an impact from a golf ball on my fender along with a few door dings. I've even had him work on my wife's Mini Cooper and he pulled out a dent that had a small crease in it along with all the door dings from inconsiderate ash-holes. Not sure if I am permitted to put his contact info on here but if anyone is interested you can PM me for his number He's based in N. Carolina but comes down the east coast to Key West then up the west coast of FL about every 2 months or so.

Keys Guy
keysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
Frodo, where in KS did you live? I've seen hail, hot temps, tornados and freezing cold all in one day many, many times! In '11 we had a hail storm so bad it completely destroyed my truck. I saved some of the hail balls in my freezer. They were baseball sized. We had hail here Tues. It was pee sized and nobody really notices it at that.
Home of Ft Riley and Willie the Wildcat...Manhattan. So many people think KS is flat as a pancake, and it's true for parts of the state west of us . But we had the Flint Hills, including a place called the Top of the World where you could watch storms rolling in from like 40 or 50 miles away. I used to drive up there and watch 'em approach (had an old, semi-beat up Honda at the time---wasn't worried about hail damage in the least!) The weather out there was absolutely fascinating, truly a Force of Nature. Kinda miss it, though actual tornado warnings were kinda scary---we lived in a rancher, on a slab: NO basement!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #11

Hail here Tue night. Came up all of a sudden. Not very big - marble sized - but it was coming down with such force it seemed like it was shot out of a rifle. Lots of it. And it was cold enough the hail was still in the yard the next day. Never seen that before.

But all the P-Cars were tucked safely in garages.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #12

The hail came down with great force causing huge damages. Here is where the insurance company play the imp role serving their customers after they incurred huge losses. mold Florida

Last edited by aenonsmith; 09-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
aenonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenonsmith View Post
The hail came down with great force causing huge damages. Here is where the insurance company play the imp role serving their customers after they incurred huge losses.
WTF??? Troll alert! :troll:
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim1ock77 View Post

Lets see some pics of this huge hail damage ?
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #15

Have a word with your local dealer and a few high end retailers and bodyshops .
They will all have a favourite Pdr guy , and if the same name keeps cropping up he's your man !!
That's how I found my Pdr guy and he works wonders .
I wish I took better "before" pics for that "3 months" thread , but the boxster really was beat up before be came to fix it .
I went to visit a Pdr place the guy who painted the bumpers recommended and their price was 5x what my usual guy ended up charging me !!!
If you have any kind of deductible or expect premium increases due to a claim then you're better off just paying cash to a good Pdr guy .

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote