986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Convertible Top Tension Cable (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/44151-convertible-top-tension-cable.html)

Coffinhunter 04-10-2013 03:18 AM

Convertible Top Tension Cable

1) I gotta say I love this forum. Never would have been able to figure out what was going on with my top on my own and would have probably paid WAY too much to get the same info I got here for free!

2) After a year of ownership I am now having to do the first repair on Sancha. Gotta say this has been a hassle free car.

3) This is the most important thing. I need to order the Convertible Top Tension Cables (Pelican Parts for about $70.00), but before I do, I want to know how difficult this is to mess with. I am sure it is pretty simple, but I do not want to do anything that would screw up the top. I searched the site but couldn't find a write up on the install.

Thanks everyone

Crono0001 04-10-2013 04:26 AM

My cord (the one that holds the top) ripped as well. I just left it that way, as it didn't seem really necessary to replace. Might as well get a whole new top when I get the money for it.

lifeisgood 04-10-2013 04:37 AM

Just got mine done, and it was 1 week out of CPO warranty. I paid Porsche dealer $400 to it. Come to find out that they subcontract to the guy down the street to put it in for them.

Deserion 04-10-2013 04:38 AM

If I had access to my Boxster right now I'd do a quick photo how-to. However, if I can get over to my dad's garage this week (if you don't have the parts by then) I'll make one. :)

The hard part is the upper portion. A small wire clip pivots on the top end of the cable to keep it secure to the socket on the bottom roof bow. Using needle-nose pliers makes quicker work of this. It can be a little difficult since the roof has to be pulled up into service mode a bit to get enough vision and room to work. Once the new one is on and secured, feed it through the pocket on the weather flap and pop the bottom end onto the lower socket.

Coffinhunter 04-10-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 336190)
If I had access to my Boxster right now I'd do a quick photo how-to. However, if I can get over to my dad's garage this week (if you don't have the parts by then) I'll make one. :)

The hard part is the upper portion. A small wire clip pivots on the top end of the cable to keep it secure to the socket on the bottom roof bow. Using needle-nose pliers makes quicker work of this. It can be a little difficult since the roof has to be pulled up into service mode a bit to get enough vision and room to work. Once the new one is on and secured, feed it through the pocket on the weather flap and pop the bottom end onto the lower socket.

If you feel like making a trip to Spring Hill, you can do a photo how to on mine!!! :D I am ordering the parts today:cheers:

NoGaBiker 04-10-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisgood (Post 336189)
Just got mine done, and it was 1 week out of CPO warranty. I paid Porsche dealer $400 to it. Come to find out that they subcontract to the guy down the street to put it in for them.

Hah, had mine done today. $405. :) It was in for the 45k and I had noticed a little looseness on the driver's side, right behind the back upper edge of the side window. Hated to pay that much but got a lot going on right now, and when it's done it will just be done. I have to take this car in so rarely for so few things that I just use the dealer and let them give it a once over. (They also found that one of my horns isn't working. Who knew? I told them I'd wait till both of them aren't working. :))

lifeisgood 04-11-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 336275)
Hah, had mine done today. $405. :) It was in for the 45k and I had noticed a little looseness on the driver's side, right behind the back upper edge of the side window. Hated to pay that much but got a lot going on right now, and when it's done it will just be done. I have to take this car in so rarely for so few things that I just use the dealer and let them give it a once over. (They also found that one of my horns isn't working. Who knew? I told them I'd wait till both of them aren't working. :))

Is it Hennessy or Jim Ellis?

Deserion 04-13-2013 06:28 AM

Here's s quick run-down on installing these.

1. Begin to move top into service position. On each side, release the lower portion of the cable from the socket. Note that the cable passes through the flap on the weather partition.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p...hoto%25201.JPG

2. The upper connection. Here is where it gets tricky. If you look closely at the top socket on the cable, you will note a circlip just underneath the ball. This will lift up/away on the side with the loop as it pivots on the opposite side. Use needle-nose pliers to move the end of the clip perpendicular to the cable.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r...hoto%25203.JPG

3. A close-up of the cable. Note that it may be difficult to remove the cable with the circlip still in place, so you may need to pull it out in order to get the cable off. Be careful not to drop this down one of the drains in the car! Installation is the reverse of removal. Just be patient and careful and you can get the clip back in the pivot holes, then close it once the upper is connected to the roof.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...hoto%25205.JPG

Coffinhunter 04-13-2013 09:29 AM

New issue

Looks like the top came "unglued". Any ideas?http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1365874157.jpg

evo-r 04-14-2013 06:14 PM

While changing the air filter yesterday, I noticed my passenger side tension cable is broken also. I will get it replaced but what will be the adverse effect if I delay this repair?

Coffinhunter 04-16-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo-r (Post 337269)
While changing the air filter yesterday, I noticed my passenger side tension cable is broken also. I will get it replaced but what will be the adverse effect if I delay this repair?

Doesn't seem to be a major issue. The fix is really easy. Order the parts, 10 minutes later the install/repair is done. Don't bother paying someone $400 to do it.

SC-986 04-18-2013 12:37 PM

I discovered that my tension cable was broken while diagnosing a water leak. Looks like the cable provides the tension for the back part of the roof to create a seal with the underside to the clam shell.

Ciao 09-17-2017 05:20 AM

Deserion,

Thank you for your write-up & Pics repairing the Tension Cable. I had to replace my right side Tension Cable and your feedback & tips were valuable in saving me hundreds of dollars based on a DIY

Cheers!

markguid 05-04-2019 08:14 AM

Nice pictures of the tension cable replacement. Why pay $400 for something you can do in 10 minutes. God only knows that are somethings you can’t fix and dealers are going to have to fix it. Thanks again. For those of you who are missing the locking clip, I used a paper clip. It is the same diameter. All you need to do is bend around so it is not sticking out. Recently ordered this part from pelican parts. They came to me corroded. Pelican parts states they will replace them with new ones when they come in. I will update this post when the new cables come in hopefully uncorroded.New cable from pelican parts was corroded I will be sending it back.

robdelorenzo 05-04-2019 08:22 AM

Thanks for this. Fixing the broken cable is now on my list of "once it gets warmer I'll fix it" For some reason the list seems like a Moebius strip (one continuous list that never shortens) But once I start driving the car, I am reminded why they are not a big deal.

Redcrisis 07-02-2019 03:10 PM

Simple fix for cable

I purchased two used cables on eBay for $300 delivered and it took less than ten minutes to do it. It was hard to get the upper post out but it was not difficult. No circle clips on mine but clips inside the cup of the cable that popped on the post. I am not sure what broke my cable. Perhaps from repeated flexing or perhaps traped between the folded roof frame and the body. It did not seem to be an issue being broken, but striving for perfection (or best I can) makes me want to fix everything in need of repair.

911monty 07-02-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcrisis (Post 598645)
I purchased two used cables on eBay for $300 delivered and it took less than ten minutes to do it. It was hard to get the upper post out but it was not difficult. No circle clips on mine but clips inside the cup of the cable that popped on the post. I am not sure what broke my cable. Perhaps from repeated flexing or perhaps traped between the folded roof frame and the body. It did not seem to be an issue being broken, but striving for perfection (or best I can) makes me want to fix everything in need of repair.

Please don't let the Forum sponsor know what you paid. They sell for a lot less.

steve richards 08-23-2020 04:33 PM

Whats the name of the round head bolt that the top tension cable clips too? 2003 Boxster base.

rexcramer 08-23-2020 05:02 PM

You need this link to the factory parts catalog. It will help you identify parts. It can also help figure out how things come apart.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gUVtQYvav64U4tp_d9kATIHx0QWRfUAw/view

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve richards (Post 623111)
Whats the name of the round head bolt that the top tension cable clips too? 2003 Boxster base.