Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Pull the sump plate and post pics. I have seen this one before.

Email me the pics to jake@flat6innovations.com.com as well since I am seldom on these forums these days.
Will do Jake, and I appreciate you willingness to have a look at it.

broken2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Babbitt is primarily tin (I believe) and is non ferrous. It is used in sleeve bearings, not ball bearings. If you have babbitt material in your, oil the source is likely a rod or main bearing...The IMS is a ball bearing.
I hope its not a rod bearing.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #23

Garage
If I have to pull this engine, it will quickly become for sell. I wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars on rebuilding a motor I want to replace anyway. I think for me that money is better spent on an hv warp 11.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Pull the sump plate and post pics. I have seen this one before.

Email me the pics to jake@flat6innovations.com.com as well since I am seldom on these forums these days.
Here you go Jake.
pics of sump cover. Some bits of trash in center. Then a close up of the trash. again nothing magnetic
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #25

Garage
close up of trach

nothing that will stick to a magnet
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #26

Garage
sump screen

Sump screen.
Obviously someone has been in here poking around before me. they used silicone for a gasket, and quite a lot of it. I was very suprised not to see the material from the filter litter thruout.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken2bfree View Post
If I have to pull this engine, it will quickly become for sell. I wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars on rebuilding a motor I want to replace anyway. I think for me that money is better spent on an hv warp 11.
Well I got into M96 engines because I was going to build an electric boxster :-)

silicone in the sump is not unusual.

is the pieces hard or soft? hard brownish, dark brownish is usually an indicator
of the tensioner paddles.

It's not likely your waterpump as it would have to find a way to your oil without turning into a milkshake :-)

There's a chance it could be a lifter that's managed to chew up the lifter carrier (sorry I'm not really a motor head -- so I don't know the terminology)

the lifters sit in a tray that almost looks like an egg carton.

you can always ping me at mike@lonestarrpm.com
I've got a little EV knowledge as well as M96 experience,
I'm also in the Texas hood -- down in Austin

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #28

Garage
Well because I need this motor to run reliably for another 24k miles or the next 2 years...I am going to drop the engine and go after the tensioner. I just hope I dont find anything else when I get into it. I found the guide to tensioner and cam replacement with engine in the car, but just don't see myself working in that tight of space. I plan to replace the ims bearing as well. new plugs and recommended replacements of hoses and seals. hopefully I will have it back on the road before winter. Thanks for all your input.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #29

Garage
OK. Started work on engine today by pulling camshaft plugs and locking crank at TDC for bank 2, this is where I heard a slight ticking. As I locked at TDC I noticed aluminum shavings all over the front of the motor. This is exactly what I had in my oil filter. WTH! Has anyone seen this before? Something not rite about this... I do know the lot where I purchased the boxster replaced AC compressor, but cant see how the 2 are tied together.