Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Garage
Clutch help - Transmission removal

Would have made more progress today if it didn't take 4 hours to track down a 10mm triplesquare thingy.
1st question: Was I supposed to disconnect my shift linkage in this manner?

It's too late now, but was just curious.

Next question and more important because I haven't broken this yet. I think I'm missing some bolts. I've found 5 out of 6 of the regular bolts and the triple head thingy. According to the 101 projects book, there is a hex head bolt somewhere on the bottom passenger side.

Not only does it appear I am missing that bolt, but I appear to be missing the 6th bolt. The picture above is taken from the rear and it shows the passenger side of the transmission.

I'm done for the day so tomorrow I'll be starting the removal of these bolts and I guess if I'm just not seeing one (or two) I'll find out quickly, but hopefully someone could give me some guidance before I attack this tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #2

Garage
OK. Skip all those other questions. Ran into a problem with the triple square bolt on the transmission. How do you get that bolt out?

I bought a 3/8" drive socket. Shortest one they have. Because of the final drive on the passenger side, I can't get a universal joint on the end of it. Also, because it is so tight against the trans case, I can't get my ratchet or breaker bar on it. Looking to see what the pros have used. Only things I can come up with are:

1. Maybe a 1/4" drive socket may work better. Hate to buy it and find out that don't work either.
2. Try and find one of those super flexible extensions. I have my doubts whether that would work on a mounting bolt though without snapping.
3. Bring the socket to my work where they have welding stuff and weld something to the end of the socket to turn it into a type of wrench.

Somebody please help. There's got to be something I am missing.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #3

No, you're not missing anything. That is a tight area.
I used a 12 or 13 mm box-end wrench, I don't remember which is the right size, in combination with the triple-square bit.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

I had to take a cutoff wheel to shorten my triple square.

Thanks Porsche, you're awesome!

On the plus side, I'm probably pretty safe from thieves stealing my transmission when I run into Walmart. None of those shady SOB's carry short little triple squares around with them.
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c. View Post

On the plus side, I'm probably pretty safe from thieves stealing my transmission when I run into Walmart. None of those shady SOB's carry short little triple squares around with them.
Trust me, no sane person is going to steal your transmission. Especially the common five speed that is used by the vw audi passat/a4. It would be more conducive to be off with the whole car. As for the missing bolts on the transmission housing to the engine, it is normal like that from the factory.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c. View Post

That was my thought as well!

I'm going to try and track down the Snap-On guy today after work. I'm going to see if he has an Hex style (Allen L-shaped) wrench. Hopefully he does. If not then I'll check to see if he as a 1/4" drive socket. I think either should work.

Option C will be either welding an arm onto the socket or welding some type of breaker bar that will fit into the socket and hope it don't take too much ass to break the bolt loose.

Got a Golden Tee tournament in St. Louis the weekend of the April 20th and this is my transportation. I thought I would have had plenty of time, but I don't even have the transmission out yet. Still taking my time though. Don't want to get stuck in East St. Louis.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Garage
I use a Snap-On triple-square bit, it's 2 inches long so it fit's in place & then use a 11mm wrench from the side to loosen or tighten. I think it was less than $10.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Homeboy981

Garage
Replacing the bolt itself is…$2.50. Just make sure to get a small head or allen-type Grade 8 or better!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #9

Garage
Think I need a different socket.

And perhaps a different method of sharing pictures
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #10

Garage
Let me try this...

Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #11

Garage
I gave up. Well not completely, but kind of. $60 for these. 1/4" drive. These have to do the trick.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Let me try this...

That tool should work. Finger thread it until tight and then you should have enough room to put a torque on it.

PM me if you are still have probs.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #13

Garage
I just can't get anything to fit in that space using a 3/8" drive socket.

I'm pretty sure this socket set will do the trick. I'm not going to try and rig something or over exert my body or mind to get this done. I'm in no hurry. Thanks though.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #14

I just pulled my 6-speed and I put the socket in the bolt head first, then inserted an extension (short or long- can t recall) and finally the ratchet. The said pieces may not snap together tightly yet and they ll be on an angle, out past what prevents the ratchet and socket alone from fitting, but you may be able to start removal anyways. Hope this works for you.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #15

Garage
Finally got that stupid triple square bolt!

Ended up using a hex bit (I guess that is what you would call it). About 3 inches long. I put a 7/16" box end around it and jammed the bit in the bolt. Then I took a large broken screwdriver and put that between the bit and the final drive and hammered it in there wedging the bit in the bolt so it could not slide out and strip it. I had enough room on the front side to rotate the box end wrench.

Probably wasn't the "correct" way, but after taking this long and my level of aggravation, I didn't care anymore. Heading to the hardware store to find a replacement bolt as there is no way I am putting that stupid bolt back in there.

I think that should add at least $500 to the value of the car also!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #16

I have the feeling your working on a 5-speed. Anyways you won in the end -damn Porsche!
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi @CoBeerToad,

Try finding a nut to fit. Take out your tack welder or take it to a welding shop and have them "put a stem" on it for ya.

Viola! New Porsche tool!
(the 'stick out tongue' thing was intended for the Pcar engineer that designed that darn fitting)

Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
1st question: Was I supposed to disconnect my shift linkage in this manner?

It's too late now, but was just curious.
New shift cables from Porsche are $700.00, I have been working on replacement ends to be made from brass.

The short linkage that you have is $189. from Pelicans, or can be made from brass stock for $10.00

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote