Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Lodging recommendations @ the Dragon?

I'll be in Charlotte May 11th, so I'm making a detour to run the TOD Monday. Any ideas on where to stay? It doesn't have to be AT the Dragon, but near enough I can get right to it, and nearby roads, in the morning. I will also need a place to layover a couple hours drive North, on my way back to NJ. I did search, and only found, The 2-wheel Inn, Fontana Village, and The Blue Bear Inn.
Thanks,

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #2

Garage
Stephen, I live just off the blue ridge parkway, 2 hours from charlotte and about 2 1/2 hours from the dragon. Always up for a trip to the dragon and can show you some great roads in our area equal to or better than the dragon without the congestion and cops on the dragon. You do not want to do the dragon on a weekend. Only time to run it is 6 or 7 am on a weekday before law enforcement and the crowds of bikes arrive. You will want to also do the cherohala skyway at the same time. If you need it we have a spare bedroom and our local PCA is doing a drive/dine/brewery tasting on the 11th that you would be welcome to join. I also have a pretty well stocked garage and lift if you have need. Call me anytime at 828 385 3100 if any of this is of interest.
Fontana resort is the best place to stay near the dragon, but a bit pricy. Next best option is robbinsville, nc or tellico plains. My wife and I plan a lot of drives for different groups all around the area and we can show you some great roads. bob

Last edited by mountainman; 04-05-2013 at 08:55 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

I'll have to remember your info, I'm moving to Winston-Salem later this year to be closer to family (old fort)
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Stephen, I live just off the blue ridge parkway, 2 hours from charlotte and about 2 1/2 hours from the dragon. Always up for a trip to the dragon and can show you some great roads in our area equal to or better than the dragon without the congestion and cops on the dragon. You do not want to do the dragon on a weekend. Only time to run it is 6 or 7 am on a weekday before law enforcement and the crowds of bikes arrive. You will want to also do the cherohala skyway at the same time. If you need it we have a spare bedroom and our local PCA is doing a drive/dine/brewery tasting on the 11th that you would be welcome to join. I also have a pretty well stocked garage and lift if you have need. Call me anytime at 828 385 3100 if any of this is of interest.
Fontana resort is the best place to stay near the dragon, but a bit pricy. Next best option is robbinsville, nc or tellico plains. My wife and I plan a lot of drives for different groups all around the area and we can show you some great roads. bob
Bob,
I live in Hickory, think I spoken to you before. (I believe we use the same mechanic) A couple of months back, my wife and I came down a curvy road from the Parkway, to Marion, Think it was Hwy. 80, through Bucks Creek. I took it easy, since it was a Sunday, besides, the motorcycle guys had the speed taken care of that day.

I'm going back to that road sometime soon with my pal, on a weekday, so there won't be much traffic.

I know quite a bit about the mountain area, and was wondering if you had a list of some great roads you have experienced up there with your Boxster, that aren't crowded like the Parkway? Haven't had my Boxster very long, got it last August, so I'm anxious to run some nice roads, without a lot of traffic. (If this is even possible)
Bruce
Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks Bob, I'll give you a call, though it may not be until next week. I have a busy weekend instructing at NJMP for an SCCA school.

I'll be arriving in the area Sunday night, spending Monday doing some driving, so at least it won't be the weekend.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Garage
Bruce, give me a call when you want to drive and I will meet you in blowing rock and show you some great roads. Weekdays are best for low traffic volume and sunday is next. We are headed up that way wednesday to plan a drive for the following wednesday for a group.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #7

Charlotte here. I need tofindsome nice roads also and I am on vacation starting today!!!!
sixpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #8

Garage
call me anytime you want to drive. I am retired and can go most anytime, and do. bob 828 385 3100
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Bruce, give me a call when you want to drive and I will meet you in blowing rock and show you some great roads. Weekdays are best for low traffic volume and sunday is next. We are headed up that way wednesday to plan a drive for the following wednesday for a group.
Will do.
Thanks Bob.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #10

Mountain Man, I'm from Florida and thinking about coming up for the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit the last week of May. I've got to register and find a place to stay, unless you have some ideas? Little Switzerland is ground zero, and that's sold out, as are likely most of the other locales they recommend - such as Blue Lynn Lodge and Spruce Pine. I'll be there for probably 3 or 4 nights, and looking forward to driving the roads and seeing the area.
Thanks, Pat
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto Pat View Post
Mountain Man, I'm from Florida and thinking about coming up for the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit the last week of May. I've got to register and find a place to stay, unless you have some ideas? Little Switzerland is ground zero, and that's sold out, as are likely most of the other locales they recommend - such as Blue Lynn Lodge and Spruce Pine. I'll be there for probably 3 or 4 nights, and looking forward to driving the roads and seeing the area.
Thanks, Pat
Pat, Try the Mountain View motel 828 766 9670. It is very close and may still have something available. If not let me know and I will check further. My wife and I have vacation rental cabins, but they have been reserved since last year for the event. Call me at 828 385 3100 if the mountain view doesn't work
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #12

Blue Ridge Boxster Summit

Thanks so much for the response - sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I've been working like crazy to finish up projects so I can get away for a week of vacation. I'll likely register tomorrow and start looking for lodging, so I may give you a call.

Pat

Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote