986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do you ever feel like the Boxster is better....with the top up? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43892-do-you-ever-feel-like-boxster-better-top-up.html)

rondocap 03-30-2013 06:07 PM

Do you ever feel like the Boxster is better....with the top up?

Ok, it's fun with the top down on a nice day, but for me the boxster isn't a cruiser, but a redlining, winding road carver.

So I had the top down today, and then I put it up.

Car felt much more intimate, and I could hear the engine and exhaust better over 30mph speeds.

With the top down, you sort of lose the exhaust to wind noise over a certain speed.

Anyone else agree? So when you want to feel the air, top down...but for performance driving and to feel the car, top up like a cayman.

Thoughts?

Spidey 03-30-2013 06:35 PM

That's the beauty of the Boxster. The car is fantastic both ways. I do find that I drive more enthusiastically with the top up though. I like to be somewhat discreet at times.

Ckrikos 03-30-2013 07:05 PM

I have had my hard top on for two years. I miss driving a little with the top down.

l3m 03-30-2013 07:19 PM

I have an aftermarket exhaust and bypass pipes and desnorkled. With the top up, the exhaust sound is a bit muffled. I hear it better with the top down. Also, when the top's down, I don't raise the windows like most people do.

DFW02S 03-30-2013 07:33 PM

Sorry Rondo, but I t think you have the wrong exhaust.
Having the top up just muffles the incredible sound of the Top Speed bypass pipes and race muffler.

paintboy 03-31-2013 06:37 AM

Top down and windows down from April to October.

Beelzy 03-31-2013 06:39 AM

Nope.....top down FTW!

Speed Racer's Mach5 ran with no top, that's how I roll too.

Timco 03-31-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintboy (Post 334308)

This. Anything over 40* and top down!!

Windows down over 50*.

Allen K. Littlefield 03-31-2013 07:08 AM

I love the away it looks top up or down. Prefer top down weather permitting. Top up reminds me of early custom cars in CA. I think the first generation 986 with the clear headlights is the most classic good looking Boxster made. This is why I will probably replace the engine if it ever goes rather than buy a new car. Both of us love the look.

AKL:cheers:

Topless 03-31-2013 07:18 AM

The car is nearly always better top-up when it's raining. :D

BruceH 03-31-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrikos (Post 334271)
I have had my hard top on for two years. I miss driving a little with the top down.

:eek:

Top down is waaaaaay better!

MN 986 03-31-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintboy (Post 334308)

This sums up my thoughts exactly, although I do also enjoy top down driving with the windows up and the seat heaters on in March and November if the weather permits (unfortunately not this March :mad:)

recycledsixtie 03-31-2013 09:42 AM

Good thread. Yes my next P car might be the Cayman. Hardly ever put the top down. But I must say the Box has classic lines top up or down. It has been a great experience having a convertible that feels so solid and relatively rattle free.....
Just need some good weather now for a spirited drive....:)

BYprodriver 03-31-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondocap (Post 334261)
Ok, it's fun with the top down on a nice day, but for me the boxster isn't a cruiser, but a redlining, winding road carver.

So I had the top down today, and then I put it up.

Car felt much more intimate, and I could hear the engine and exhaust better over 30mph speeds.

With the top down, you sort of lose the exhaust to wind noise over a certain speed.

Anyone else agree? So when you want to feel the air, top down...but for performance driving and to feel the car, top up like a cayman.

Thoughts?

I totally agree with you. Exception to the rule is driving LA "free"ways with top down enhances rear vision & lane change quickness. :cool:

don330 03-31-2013 11:01 AM

When I bought mine I was even happier with my purchase because it came with a hardtop and I really liked the looks of it with the hardtop on. Now the soft top has really grown on me and I actually like the looks of it better. I've only drove with the top down a few times because I'm not a fan of the added attention. I usually find myself trying to shield myself with a hat and sunglasses, but it's definitely a nice option to have.

rondocap 03-31-2013 12:01 PM

I think that someone summarized it well - it can be both.

I drove a few Caymans, and they feel almost exactly like the Boxster with the top up. I was not able to tell too much of a difference - so why not just get a Boxster? :D

Spidey 03-31-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondocap (Post 334355)
I think that someone summarized it well - it can be both.

I drove a few Caymans, and they feel almost exactly like the Boxster with the top up. I was not able to tell too much of a difference - so why not just get a Boxster? :D

Just had mine out for the first time this season. It is such a great little car. The 986 really fits like a worn first basemen's glove. I've tried and struggled to get the same feeling in the newer models.

Haven't driven a Cayman, but I would surmise that having the extra airspace inside is really nice in comparison with a top up Boxster. The clear engine cover would be cool as well. I wouldn't mind adding the new Cayman S to the stable. The wife would absolutely love the Boxster for a daily driver, 6-speed and all.

Having said that, the Boxster satisfies the motorcycle enthusiast in me which I never thought could be replaced. Go figure, go Boxster.

Skrapmot 03-31-2013 07:01 PM

I like the top down, as I've gotten older , my hair is less forgiving and I end up looking like Nick Nolte by the time I get to work.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/01/ruqehaqe.jpg
By the time I get off from work the sun has set and it can get a bit too chilly at night in the Bay Area for top downing.

That being said I like the top down when I can, but will probably change to a sunroofed Cayman or 911 sometime in the next few years.

KRAM36 03-31-2013 07:01 PM

Finally had a good weekend day to run the Box around with the top down. What a joy this car is, top down definitely wins in my book. I like the way people gawk at the car with the top down too.

Johnny Danger 03-31-2013 07:17 PM

The sunroof is nice too.