986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do you ever feel like the Boxster is better....with the top up? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43892-do-you-ever-feel-like-boxster-better-top-up.html)

rondocap 03-30-2013 06:07 PM

Do you ever feel like the Boxster is better....with the top up?

Ok, it's fun with the top down on a nice day, but for me the boxster isn't a cruiser, but a redlining, winding road carver.

So I had the top down today, and then I put it up.

Car felt much more intimate, and I could hear the engine and exhaust better over 30mph speeds.

With the top down, you sort of lose the exhaust to wind noise over a certain speed.

Anyone else agree? So when you want to feel the air, top down...but for performance driving and to feel the car, top up like a cayman.

Thoughts?

Spidey 03-30-2013 06:35 PM

That's the beauty of the Boxster. The car is fantastic both ways. I do find that I drive more enthusiastically with the top up though. I like to be somewhat discreet at times.

Ckrikos 03-30-2013 07:05 PM

I have had my hard top on for two years. I miss driving a little with the top down.

l3m 03-30-2013 07:19 PM

I have an aftermarket exhaust and bypass pipes and desnorkled. With the top up, the exhaust sound is a bit muffled. I hear it better with the top down. Also, when the top's down, I don't raise the windows like most people do.

DFW02S 03-30-2013 07:33 PM

Sorry Rondo, but I t think you have the wrong exhaust.
Having the top up just muffles the incredible sound of the Top Speed bypass pipes and race muffler.

paintboy 03-31-2013 06:37 AM

Top down and windows down from April to October.

Beelzy 03-31-2013 06:39 AM

Nope.....top down FTW!

Speed Racer's Mach5 ran with no top, that's how I roll too.

Timco 03-31-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintboy (Post 334308)

This. Anything over 40* and top down!!

Windows down over 50*.

Allen K. Littlefield 03-31-2013 07:08 AM

I love the away it looks top up or down. Prefer top down weather permitting. Top up reminds me of early custom cars in CA. I think the first generation 986 with the clear headlights is the most classic good looking Boxster made. This is why I will probably replace the engine if it ever goes rather than buy a new car. Both of us love the look.

AKL:cheers:

Topless 03-31-2013 07:18 AM

The car is nearly always better top-up when it's raining. :D

BruceH 03-31-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrikos (Post 334271)
I have had my hard top on for two years. I miss driving a little with the top down.

:eek:

Top down is waaaaaay better!

MN 986 03-31-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintboy (Post 334308)

This sums up my thoughts exactly, although I do also enjoy top down driving with the windows up and the seat heaters on in March and November if the weather permits (unfortunately not this March :mad:)

recycledsixtie 03-31-2013 09:42 AM

Good thread. Yes my next P car might be the Cayman. Hardly ever put the top down. But I must say the Box has classic lines top up or down. It has been a great experience having a convertible that feels so solid and relatively rattle free.....
Just need some good weather now for a spirited drive....:)

BYprodriver 03-31-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondocap (Post 334261)
Ok, it's fun with the top down on a nice day, but for me the boxster isn't a cruiser, but a redlining, winding road carver.

So I had the top down today, and then I put it up.

Car felt much more intimate, and I could hear the engine and exhaust better over 30mph speeds.

With the top down, you sort of lose the exhaust to wind noise over a certain speed.

Anyone else agree? So when you want to feel the air, top down...but for performance driving and to feel the car, top up like a cayman.

Thoughts?

I totally agree with you. Exception to the rule is driving LA "free"ways with top down enhances rear vision & lane change quickness. :cool:

don330 03-31-2013 11:01 AM

When I bought mine I was even happier with my purchase because it came with a hardtop and I really liked the looks of it with the hardtop on. Now the soft top has really grown on me and I actually like the looks of it better. I've only drove with the top down a few times because I'm not a fan of the added attention. I usually find myself trying to shield myself with a hat and sunglasses, but it's definitely a nice option to have.

rondocap 03-31-2013 12:01 PM

I think that someone summarized it well - it can be both.

I drove a few Caymans, and they feel almost exactly like the Boxster with the top up. I was not able to tell too much of a difference - so why not just get a Boxster? :D

Spidey 03-31-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondocap (Post 334355)
I think that someone summarized it well - it can be both.

I drove a few Caymans, and they feel almost exactly like the Boxster with the top up. I was not able to tell too much of a difference - so why not just get a Boxster? :D

Just had mine out for the first time this season. It is such a great little car. The 986 really fits like a worn first basemen's glove. I've tried and struggled to get the same feeling in the newer models.

Haven't driven a Cayman, but I would surmise that having the extra airspace inside is really nice in comparison with a top up Boxster. The clear engine cover would be cool as well. I wouldn't mind adding the new Cayman S to the stable. The wife would absolutely love the Boxster for a daily driver, 6-speed and all.

Having said that, the Boxster satisfies the motorcycle enthusiast in me which I never thought could be replaced. Go figure, go Boxster.

Skrapmot 03-31-2013 07:01 PM

I like the top down, as I've gotten older , my hair is less forgiving and I end up looking like Nick Nolte by the time I get to work.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/01/ruqehaqe.jpg
By the time I get off from work the sun has set and it can get a bit too chilly at night in the Bay Area for top downing.

That being said I like the top down when I can, but will probably change to a sunroofed Cayman or 911 sometime in the next few years.

KRAM36 03-31-2013 07:01 PM

Finally had a good weekend day to run the Box around with the top down. What a joy this car is, top down definitely wins in my book. I like the way people gawk at the car with the top down too.

Johnny Danger 03-31-2013 07:17 PM

The sunroof is nice too.

Spidey 03-31-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 334419)
I like the top down, as I've gotten older , my hair is less forgiving and I end up looking like Nick Nolte by the time I get to work.
By the time I get off from work the sun has set and it can get a bit too chilly at night in the Bay Area for top downing.

That being said I like the top down when I can, but will probably change to a sunroofed Cayman or 911 sometime in the next few years.

What exactly was he driving?

DFW02S 03-31-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 334419)

The chicks LOVE that look!
It's really cool when you park the car and ask them for gas money.

WhipE350 03-31-2013 07:50 PM

No question top down. I actually don't enjoy it with the top up at all. Too much engine whining. With the top down the desnorkle and fabspeed sing wonderful music. I actually avoid driving with the top up, keep a ski hat ready and the heat cranked.

Perfectlap 03-31-2013 08:19 PM

The Boxster with the top up is like going out on a date with a swimsuit model in flannel and sweat pants. It's like you're being punished for no reason.

Timco 03-31-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 334427)
What exactly was he driving?

A straw......

ccstud17 04-01-2013 08:29 AM

sometimes the top up is fun, kind of reminds you how small and agile the car is, then you go to make a lane change, and look over your left shoulder and see..... nothing... WORST BLINDSPOT EVER! heck its even worse than a 59 chevy small window!

pothole 04-01-2013 08:41 AM

Yes.

Everyone goes for shouty exhausts these days. But top up allows you a more complex range of engine noises - mechanical, induction, exhaust. Like the more intimate feel you get with the top up.

But like someone says, the beauty is that you can decide. These days, I usually prefer up. But when the weather is just right on a summer's evening, top down is very, very sweet.

Johnny Danger 04-01-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 334437)
The Boxster with the top up is like going out on a date with a swimsuit model in flannel and sweat pants. It's like you're being punished for no reason.

Try it in a leather jumpsuit !:cool:

jdiba 04-01-2013 12:00 PM

I love the look either way. Looks fantastic with top up or down. The thing to remember is these
cars were designed after the 550 spyder and 718 rsk. They are built from ground up as open-air
cars. The top makes them more practical to own. Driving a car like this with the top down on a
summer evening should be something everyone gets to experience.