986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Ahhh! My car was hit bad today! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43878-ahhh-my-car-hit-bad-today.html)

thstone 03-29-2013 05:51 PM

Ahhh! My car was hit bad today!

I parked the 986 in front of my house at lunch and this afternoon an older lady in a Lexus ES300 rear ended it. It appears that she never braked, hit my parked car sending it into the middle of the street and then she proceeded to hit a light pole - moving the pole about 8 inches in the ground. The electric company is here now replacing the light pole.

Police, fire, and paramedics responded to the 911 call. Driver of the Lexus was awake but in shock and couldn't speak for five mins and then said that she had no idea what had happened. The paramedics took her to the hospital.

Most of the damage appears to be in the trunk and rear fenders area but the rear fenders are pushed forward enough that they are hitting the doors. The top is also pushed forward so its slightly bowed up. Surprisingly, the engine started and I was able to drive it into the driveway but it seemed to crab and not track straight.

I called her insurance company this evening and expect to hear from them on Monday.

Friends, cheer me up. I am pretty bummed out. I think that I'll go watch some Johnny Danger Workout videos to cheer myself up.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9808ea14.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6aff6ff1.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps47b67f6f.jpg

Timco 03-29-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 334114)
I parked the 986 in front of my house at lunch and this afternoon an older lady in a Lexus ES300 rear ended it. It appears that she never braked, hit my parked car sending it into the middle of the street and then she proceeded to hit a light pole - moving the pole about 8 inches in the ground. The electric company is here now replacing the light pole.

Police, fire, and paramedics responded to the 911 call. Driver of the Lexus was awake but in shock and couldn't speak for five mins and then said that she had no idea what had happened. The paramedics took her to the hospital.

Most of the damage appears to be in the trunk and rear fenders area but the rear fenders are pushed forward enough that they are hitting the doors. The top is also pushed forward so its slightly bowed up. Surprisingly, the engine started and I was able to drive it into the driveway but it seemed to crab and not track straight.

I called her insurance company this evening and expect to hear from them on Monday.

Friends, cheer me up. I am pretty bummed out. I think that I'll go watch some Johnny Danger Workout videos to cheer myself up.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9808ea14.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6aff6ff1.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps47b67f6f.jpg

Toast. :( So sorry for your loss....

dghii 03-29-2013 06:01 PM

Sorry to say but I hope insurance totals the car for you to give you some options...

Best of luck.

rp17 03-29-2013 06:02 PM

Wow that sucks. We all will mourn your loss. After your stomach settles, its time for a boxster search! Enjoy the test rides!

BoxsterSteve 03-29-2013 06:18 PM

So sorry for your loss.
You probably don't want that repaired, as things likely won't be the same (mechanically and emotionally) when all is said and done.
I hope you get a decent payout and can replace it with something at least as nice as it was.
Best of luck.

kjc2050 03-29-2013 06:22 PM

Wow. So sorry to see that happen to your beautiful ride. As others have mentioned, hope you get a great settlement from your insurance company so you can spend some time finding something perfect. Good luck!

shadrach74 03-29-2013 06:26 PM

RIP...so sorry for your loss.:(

fellas, I'm pretty sure he knows it's totaled. It's just a matter of settling on value.

Topless 03-29-2013 06:37 PM

Dang! Sorry man. :(

Meat Head 03-29-2013 06:38 PM

Man, that sucks! Sorry for your loss. Sometimes after it is all said and done you come out on top with these sort of things. Stick to your guns and make sure the insurance co treats you right. Trying to look on the bright side, sometimes it's fun to car shop. Good luck with your search.

litespeedp 03-29-2013 07:55 PM

This is horrible.I'm so sorry 4 u.What the Hell was she thinking!!!!!!!!!

WhipE350 03-29-2013 07:58 PM

thstone - Hope it all works out. Sorry for your lose.

Johnny Danger 03-29-2013 08:11 PM

Geebez, that's awful. Find out who the old lady is and I'll send The Mantis after her ! In the meantime, if you'd like I cans end Eneida nu Bra over to console you.

Deserion 03-29-2013 08:26 PM

Damn hell, that sucks man. :(

Barteur 03-29-2013 08:39 PM

Sorry to see this, I hope it turns out good for you!

Idaho Red Rocket 3 03-29-2013 08:59 PM

Time for a new 2013.

Crono0001 03-29-2013 09:10 PM

Hopefully insurance does good. 987 or 981, I guess

986_c6 03-29-2013 10:30 PM

Say it isn't so Thstone!!!! Sorry and as always, at least you weren't anywhere near the car when the tornado struck.

coreseller 03-30-2013 01:14 AM

Sorry bout your situation thstone, but as others have stated, at least you weren't in the car when it happened. Hopefully the lady will be ok also.

Make the best of the situation, use the insurance money and shop wisely for a replacement taking into account what you now know regarding Boxsters vs. before buying the last one.

Flavor 987S 03-30-2013 04:38 AM

Very sorry, that sucks. Good thing no one got injured. Look on the bright side, Porsche shopping is SO fun.

NoGaBiker 03-30-2013 04:45 AM

Oh my! That's deflating. You'd put so much work into it. Best of luck with the settlement or abrogation.

Three years ago I parked where I always do when working out in the morning with a friend: on the curb in front of his subdivision street. Thankfully I had driven the Element that morning. You know, the bright green six-and-a-half-foot tall Element. A 16YO driver in a CR-V ran slap into the back of it with no sign of a brake ever touched. Said the sun blinded her. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it drove my car up over the curbing, across the yard about 20 feet, and destroyed my friend's huge brick mailbox, causing both the front and rear of the Element to be totalled! :)

Good news? I had put 3 years and 23,000 miles on the car and they paid me $1100 less than I had paid for it. I was quite happy with the financials -- just didn't want the hassle of replacing a perfectly good Element with another one.

Timco 03-30-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker (Post 334178)
Oh my! That's deflating. You'd put so much work into it. Best of luck with the settlement or abrogation.

Three years ago I parked where I always do when working out in the morning with a friend: on the curb in front of his subdivision street. Thankfully I had driven the Element that morning. You know, the bright green six-and-a-half-foot tall Element. A 16YO driver in a CR-V ran slap into the back of it with no sign of a brake ever touched. Said the sun blinded her. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it drove my car up over the curbing, across the yard about 20 feet, and destroyed my friend's huge brick mailbox, causing both the front and rear of the Element to be totalled! :)

Good news? I had put 3 years and 23,000 miles on the car and they paid me $1100 less than I had paid for it. I was quite happy with the financials -- just didn't want the hassle of replacing a perfectly good Element with another one.

Nice sig line!

Homeboy981 03-30-2013 05:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss @thstone….just when you got it the way you wanted too. Funny that the bumper plugs are almost unscathed. How do you go about determining an amount for a car with so much of your time, sweat and blood into? And, as someone said, at least you were not in the car!

Hopefully, you will get a good settlement and find another. Knew the Lexus crowd had it in for us! :D

thstone 03-30-2013 06:46 AM

Thanks for all of the posts! Walked out and took at look at the car this morning and felt sick to my stomach.

I plan to spend part of the day making a list of all of the upgrades and finding receipts. I figure that the more documentation that I can put on the table, the better. I really don't want to know how much I've put into this car over the past 3 years!

Like many others, I bought the 986 because I liked the handling and could extensively track the car at a "reasonable" cost, not because I couldn't afford a 911. So, of course, I spent the night tossing and turning wondering where to go from here... Boxster? 996? Air cooled 911? Ferrari?

BruceH 03-30-2013 07:28 AM

The toughest part is all of the time and effort you put into the car. It's not like some generic econobox that's used to get from A to B. Hopefully you will come out on the plus side with the insurance company. Since she was driving a Lexus she should at least have decent coverage. Good luck! Hope you have a great Easter weekend regardless!

Perfectlap 03-30-2013 08:22 AM

Man she could have killed someone. that's no parking incident type damage, she was fully on the throttle. Last summer I was exiting the car in a similar spot and as soon as I opened the door an old lady drove right into the barely open door. That's how close she was. no real damage but had I stepped out two seconds sooner I'd be in the back of ambulance with a shredded knee.

My father turned in his license when he hit 70. He was honest with himself and knew his vision and reaction time was not nearly what it was just a few year earlier.

cars can be replaced... good thing you weren't in the car and now dealing with a life long neck injury.

Highlow 03-30-2013 08:25 AM

Glad to hear you weren't in the car. Same thing happened to me a month ago (to a lesser extent). Fortunately, I get to drive a g37 while it's in the shop.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/Box1364660696.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 334196)
Ferrari?

See you over at FerrariChat. :)

BYprodriver 03-30-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 334196)
Thanks for all of the posts! Walked out and took at look at the car this morning and felt sick to my stomach.

I plan to spend part of the day making a list of all of the upgrades and finding receipts. I figure that the more documentation that I can put on the table, the better. I really don't want to know how much I've put into this car over the past 3 years!

Like many others, I bought the 986 because I liked the handling and could extensively track the car at a "reasonable" cost, not because I couldn't afford a 911. So, of course, I spent the night tossing and turning wondering where to go from here... Boxster? 996? Air cooled 911? Ferrari?

I suggest you test drive a 996 ASAP to see if you prefer it over another Boxster.
If you prefer the Boxster which many people do, formulate your strategy for buying your Box back from the Ins Co so you keep all your upgrades to install into the next car. I thinking Ins Co gives you $10K for your car & you buy it back for $1,K. :cool:

coreseller 03-30-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 334208)
I suggest you test drive a 996 ASAP to see if you prefer it over another Boxster.
If you prefer the Boxster which many people do, formulate your strategy for buying your Box back from the Ins Co so you keep all your upgrades to install into the next car. I thinking Ins Co gives you $10K for your car & you buy it back for $1,K. :cool:

That's good advice. If you enjoy tracking the car it would be a no brainer IMO, Boxster, especially if you could pull / transfer any upgraded parts. If you want a little more cache, much more GT in nature, water cooled 911. If you want something relatively easy to work on, still track capable and likely to hold it's value, air cooled 911.

Like I said before, make the best of the situation and enjoy the hunt.......:cheers:

Perfectlap 03-30-2013 09:42 AM

p.s.
post a pic from underneath if you can. Curious to see how the car fared with a full rear end impact.

CoBeerToad 03-30-2013 09:48 AM

Not what I wanted to see this morning. Sorry for your loss. Just like everybody else said, cry, cry a little bit more, then start making plans for the next ride.

recycledsixtie 03-30-2013 10:01 AM

Sorry for your loss. A few months from now looking back on it it should seem like a bump in the road. Hope you get a good insurance settlement.Look forward to seeing you on this forum again. You are a good contributor to the forum.:):)

pompous 03-30-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. How cool would it be if you really could get it back for ~$1k??

DFW02S 03-30-2013 01:48 PM

That really stinks, but I'm glad there were no significant injuries.
Surely they'll total it and I hope you can buy it back for a song and make a tidy sum selling the parts - or maybe repair it.

husker boxster 03-30-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

The heck with buying it back. The car's in his driveway. He can swap out the mods right now and let the remains RIP.

BTW thstone, sorry for your loss.

NoGaBiker 03-30-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 334180)
Nice sig line!

You have to admit it's true! :)

Kenny Boxster 03-30-2013 06:35 PM

Damn shame. Glad to see you weren't hurt though. Keep us updated, and do get some rest.

dbear61 03-30-2013 08:15 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1364703314.jpg

That really, really sucks.

mikefocke 03-31-2013 02:37 PM

Been there, totaled a '99, got the insurance settlement and bought an '01S.

What flashed through my mind was "Oh s..., I pranged a Porsche". And the new one was rear ended not 6 months later but not nearly as badly as yours.

No one hurt, you are gonna be OK.

Start shopping. Its fun.

Bruce Wayne 04-01-2013 04:37 AM

thstone, bad news !! but glad you're OK.. i'm sure the forum members will keep thier eyes and ears open for your new and due toy !

NoGaBiker 04-01-2013 06:08 AM

That silver over cocoa 2012 Spyder on eBay right now that I've been drooling over for three weeks (it keeps getting relisted) would certainly be in my garage if I suddenly had an excuse. 6mt, mileage not bad, lots of options...