Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

Anyone have experience adjusting cables after short shift installation?

I installed a short-shift kit over the weekend. I observed before getting everything back together that it was difficult to shift into reverse. The cable responsible for transferring the side to side motion was already at the full extension of adjustment (rearward) and more extension is needed. Before I hack the cable end to get more, I was wondering if the end-play set screws could be used to move the whole thing rearward, or is their only purpose to keep the shifter movement tight.

Here's the cable I'm talking about. The one in photo "C". See where they have the cable marked with what looks like an inch of adjustment space? Mine had no adjustment room when I took it apart.

Last edited by Wret; 03-18-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
What you may be failing to account for in this post is the relative position of the shift lever at that setting.

I had the same problem you did. I had to go back to disconnecting everything and setting the shifter lever in "as close to dead center" as I could. Set the cable in the channel and from there go one thread at a time until the gears 'feel' right shifting them without the engine on. Once you are in the ballpark, test by starting it up and trying the "bite" of the gears in each. Rinse and repeat.

It was not hard, just time consuming.

TIP: Leave the console off for a week (or determine to do so in your mind) and then try and make it better each time you go out. It took me a couple shots to get it zeroed in!

Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

Good advice about leaving the console off for a while. I wish I had.

I'm going to play with the bushing set screws and see if I can push the whole assembly back a bit. This should help to push the blue cable further in for reverse gear. That may necessitate adajusting the other cable but I think I can handle that.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post
I installed a short-shift kit over the weekend. I observed before getting everything back together that it was difficult to shift into reverse. The cable responsible for transferring the side to side motion was already at the full extension of adjustment (rearward) and more extension is needed. Before I hack the cable end to get more, I was wondering if the end-play set screws could be used to move the whole thing rearward, or is their only purpose to keep the shifter movement tight.

Here's the cable I'm talking about. The one in photo "C". See where they have the cable marked with what looks like an inch of adjustment space? Mine had no adjustment room when I took it apart.

Try removing the bright green piece of plastic under the cable.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Knowing what vehicle, transmission and what SSK would help. I've installed 4 of different varieties and though all similar, some had minor nuances.

B&M SSK in a 5spd 9x6 - clean fit, no issues once appendix removed (green plastic part under right cable)
B&M SSK in a 6spd 9x7 - clean w/ no fit or cable issues
OE 9x7 SSK in a 6spd 9x7 - clean w/ no fit or cable issues
OE 9x7 shifter in a 5sp 9x6 - issues w/ left cable being a tad tight w/ no adjustment room. Had to put it in very last threads (which was technically out of alignment w/ markings before install)*

*Technically the 9x7 OEM shifter is not a SSK but relatively speaking it provides much shorter shifts than OEM 9x6 shifter. Assume results would be same if using a 9x7 SSK in a 9x6 vehicle.

Are you fitting a 9x7 shifter (either OEM or SSK) into a 9x6?
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post

The SSK will have a longer cable actuation end and it can contact the inside of the shifter housing when trying to go for reverse. I distinctly remember have to do my own adjustment with the cable to get reverse. Wish I could remember the exact steps
....didn't cut anything though. I have done a B+M and 997 SSK

Last edited by jaykay; 03-18-2013 at 12:18 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

I wouldn't necessarily mind it being LITTLE harder to get into reverse. Might save an occassional, embarrassing stoplight mis-shift, but the whole shift pattern is moved to the left.