986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Dealer Service... Ouch (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/43627-dealer-service-ouch.html)

Mark_T 03-20-2013 06:33 AM

The one that got me was "clean rim barrels - $72.50. Please excuse my ignorance, but did he pay someone to clean the inside of his wheels? Is that what that means? Really? How much did they charge to empty the ashtray?

com3dorm3 03-20-2013 08:09 AM

"Rich Guy" (RG) is hungry for some snacks and find himself in a store. He buys:
- 1 Can of soda $6.00
- 1 Bag of chips $7.00
- 1 Pack of gum $5.00
Total $18.00

RG goes to the 986snacks.com and start a thread titled "Snack Prices... Ouch" and post his experience saying the prices were steep. Responses come in:
- "$5 for 1 pack of gum. You got screwed..."
- "Dude, you could have looked for a gas station, or a big mart "
- "I make own chips. Potatoes are a fraction of that price. They raped you"
RG tells them that in the end the money spent was no big deal, but the "love" keeps coming.

What is pocket change for you? Suckas! :D
Disclaimer: I "make my own chips" -LOL- and actually enjoy it, but I aim to be just like RG and spend $4000 like it is $18.

husker boxster 03-20-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectM96 (Post 332479)
You paid for battery installation? And you paid $100+ in labor for that 3 minute job? Most shops install the battery for free and you just have to pay the typical $80 charge for the cost of an interstate battery and you get $10 back in core charge.

In this day and age of bean counters, there aren't a lot of freebies anymore. The bean counters probably charge for a full hr if a job takes less than an hr to complete. "Standard procedure." If a battery replacement is on the bill, the mechanic probably isn't allowed to install it for free. And you get the 1 hr charge for each 10 min job - no way to change the computer pgm to combine all the 10 min jobs.

And I didn't own my 01S long enough to replace the battery, but an Interstate battery for a 987 costs $175.

coreseller 03-20-2013 12:50 PM

Here we go.................

I figured it was just a matter of time before some latched onto the OP'ers comment "Lol. I have a lot of money. Not a lot of time. " I doubt he meant it the way some have taken it, or maybe he did lol.

BTW......The guys I know of that are truly wealthy NEVER mention nor allude to it, except on occasion in anger when someone's unjustly trying to get into their pocket.

Crono0001 03-20-2013 01:03 PM

Not to start any arguments here, but why do you still drive an early '00 Boxster if you have a lot of money?

Have you SEEN the 981?!

Mark_T 03-20-2013 03:21 PM

So how much money do you have, exactly? I only ask because I have a daughter coming up for marrying age and I'm always looking to interview potential prospects. I don't need a lot of detail, but a summarized list of your current holdings would be helpful in determining your suitability.

husker boxster 03-20-2013 03:26 PM

Or would you adopt? :dance:

Perfectlap 03-20-2013 07:34 PM

To the OP,
did the service manager provide you with an estimate for over $4,000 in charges before they began work?

I think its plainly obvious that when a customer is charged $75 to "wipe" his wheels that they are simply trying pad the invoice. Since when does a 100k service include detailing at mechanic rates?

These guys get so used to billing customers who never bother to look over the bill that they become brazen in throwing every charge possible onto the bill. It shows that they think their wealthy customers are worthy of being taken an advantage of.

SF-Rockster 03-20-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 332471)
Hey, why don't we (you) back off a bit here, guys. Few of us on this board are in the poor house (though many of us---me included---are far from being "RICH guys"). That being the case, by and large we have the option of wrenching our own cars or having someone else do it. I had done NO wrenching when I got my Box (7 years back), but with all the DIY stuff online I decided I'd defray costs as much as I could by learning to work on as many things as I could. I've done oil changes, an alternator, water pump/thermostat, front motor mount, brakes, a wheel bearing, and a few other less involved items.

But when I discovered torn axle boots a couple years ago, I made the decision to have the folks at a trusted shop work on it instead of doing it myself. (I had previously made the mistake M1Ark made, getting screwed by a dealorship with their ridiculously inflated rates. I'd bet many if not most people here have as well! Live and learn.) Could I have done this job at home? Yeah, given enough time I'm sure I probably could have, despite my limited experience. But, at the time I made the decision that my time was better spent elsewhere and, yes, though not a "RICH guy" I could afford to pay someone else to do this. Most of us have this option with most projects that need to be done on our cars. Just because someone makes the decision to go this route shouldn't make him a target here. Lighten up...

Haha he started it! :dance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by com3dorm3 (Post 332529)
"Rich Guy" (RG) is hungry for some snacks and find himself in a store. He buys:
- 1 Can of soda $6.00
- 1 Bag of chips $7.00
- 1 Pack of gum $5.00
Total $18.00

RG goes to the 986snacks.com and start a thread titled "Snack Prices... Ouch" and post his experience saying the prices were steep. Responses come in:
- "$5 for 1 pack of gum. You got screwed..."
- "Dude, you could have looked for a gas station, or a big mart "
- "I make own chips. Potatoes are a fraction of that price. They raped you"
RG tells them that in the end the money spent was no big deal, but the "love" keeps coming.

What is pocket change for you? Suckas! :D
Disclaimer: I "make my own chips" -LOL- and actually enjoy it, but I aim to be just like RG and spend $4000 like it is $18.

^what he said :D

shadrach74 03-20-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1Ark (Post 332450)
They actually did other work for free that I did not list.

I assure you, they did nothing for free... You have a lot of money so it may feel good not to worry have to worry about it, but you got Ned Beatty'd on this one, even if you value your 8 day Cayman rental at $100 a day.

Oh and next time you need a key come here first, I'm sure someone would have pointed you here.

Most Indy garages would have been $2000 or less for the services you posted.
:cheers:

Perfectlap 03-20-2013 09:20 PM

^ no way does my Indy charge me $2000 for that service.

Nor does he even think about insulting me with a $100 test drive or battery change.
And $75 to wipe a wheel? Here in Jersey putting that on the bill is like telling a guy to go fark himself.

Steve Tinker 03-21-2013 12:32 AM

After this battering (deservedly or not) I doubt that we will ever hear from the OP ever again....

stateofidleness 03-21-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 332640)
After this battering (deservedly or not) I doubt that we will ever hear from the OP ever again....

He probably won't have enough time any way. Could pay someone to post for him. :D