Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Wheeler dealers profiles a Boxster on the show

Hi guys, you gotta watch the latest episode of wheeler dealers (uk tv show), they fix up a boxster s bought for about $2,000. I don't have a link, I download from torrents.

juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicepro View Post
Hi guys, you gotta watch the latest episode of wheeler dealers (uk tv show), they fix up a boxster s bought for about $2,000. I don't have a link, I download from torrents.
love that show.
always wondered how come they didn't do a box.
if anyone find a link, please post.
will do the same.

edit: found the promo.
http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/wheeler-dealers/videos/?video=wheeler-dealers-sneak-peek
looks promising.

Last edited by Meir; 03-14-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Wheeler.Dealers.S12E04.Porsche.Boxster.480p.PDTV.x 264-SM.mkv (download torrent) - TPB
Sunsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #4

The Wheeler Dealer YouTube channel has several short clips from this episode. I enjoy watching the show but always come away feeling some of the repair shortcuts were questionable. I hope they prove me wrong with the Boxster.

WheelerDealersTV - YouTube
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Great show.

My only complaint is that they never include the cost of Ed's labor - we could all flip car's profitably if we had a mechanic that worked for free!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I enjoy watching the show but always come away feeling some of the repair shortcuts were questionable.
Agree. In the last episode I watched, the mechanic was talking about a major dent in the door and said the right way to fix it is to use a hammer & dolly to straighten the metal....when he couldn't get the door panel off after 5 minutes he slapped a half gallon of bondo into the dent. That was it for me.

Also, it's funny that they seem to average ~200 pounds per car they fix, not including labor & overhead.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

I love the show and it inspired me to flip 2 Audi TTs and a Cayman in the last 2 yrs.

I always got a kick out of how Edd could spray paint from a can and get such a good match. Hmmm

And always hate how they show the car all cleaned up and then Mike takes it out and gets it filthy.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Great show.

My only complaint is that they never include the cost of Ed's labor - we could all flip car's profitably if we had a mechanic that worked for free!
Been saying that exact same thing since I saw the first episode years back.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Ady

Great show, watched it tuesday night, 3.2 boxster S, bought £1,000.
Ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #10

They got VERY lucky a fluid change fixed that tip trans. I think the 986 community would be surprised at the failure rate when confronted with the numbers.

*They didn't account for the cost of the extensive detailing on the car.

Last edited by tightbox; 03-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Carnut

Guys! This show is great! Forget the costs thing, it is more about entertainment and giving cars a 2nd life. And Edd is such a cool guy with serious skills. Good to watch, lots to learn, get inspired. Mike is fun as well!

I watched every show since it came out. They started with 1,000 quid cars. Very cool.

TALA!

BTW Edd China is in the Guiness book...... Look him up!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
Guys! This show is great! Forget the costs thing, it is more about entertainment and giving cars a 2nd life. And Edd is such a cool guy with serious skills. Good to watch, lots to learn, get inspired. Mike is fun as well!
Yeah, Edd China is my hero, this guy has some SERIOUS skills.
My theory is that these guys actually flip cars for real. So let's say they want to sell you a car that was NOT on the show, your thought process would be that
a) they did a pristine job in fixing the car
b) they don't make a lot of profit, meaning you get a really good price
And my thought is that THESE are the cars on which they REALLY make a profit.

There were some cars on the show where I felt they were seriously under priced, like for example the Bentley.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

Garage
Love the show.
Love Ed, great mechanic.
Hate that they never include the cost of labor, tools, etc.

If you add everything up then what Ed is doing will be at least $100/h.
If you would be doing this yourself you would need to have to buy the tools, would work many times slower and would end up with still spending the same total amount of money for labor.

Still, I ove that they inspire people to keep older cars on the road. I hate waste and I hate our disposable society. Keep 'em rolling!
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #14

I get that Edd's labor (or is it labour?) isn't free, but the premise of the show is to prove that car enthusiats can find cars, fix them up, and sell them. I don't count my labor when estimating a profit on a car I've flipped. As far as needing lots of tools, I don't have a vast assortment but have what I need to do most jobs. And it isn't a project unless you have to buy a tool.

And yes, Mike is a used car dealer. Velocity had a 2nd show on a few yrs back with Mike and Edd where a customer would come to Mike's used car lot with some specs on what he / she wanted to buy. Then Mike would pull out 3 cars from his lot and the person would drive and critique them. By the end of the show, Mike always made a sale. As part of the side show, Edd would be in the back working on something and would point out some pearl of wisdom to the viewers. I don't remember the name of this show and it was only on for 1 or 2 seasons in the US. It wasn't as entertaining to me at Wheeler Dealer but a car show is more enjoyable than some dumb reality show.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #15

Downloaded (thanks for the link) and streamed the episode to my Roku last night. Very enjoyable as their car was year newer than my own. Many of the visual upgrades are the same I am looking to do on my own car.

My buddy (who owns a tuning shop) and I have always enjoyed what they do - even though the profit is obviously in the show as Ed would be making peanuts on his hours if he and Mike split the profits evenly.

But for entertainment's sake, I enjoy the show and look forward to new episodes as they air.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I get that Edd's labor (or is it labour?) isn't free, but the premise of the show is to prove that car enthusiats can find cars, fix them up, and sell them. I don't count my labor when estimating a profit on a car I've flipped. As far as needing lots of tools, I don't have a vast assortment but have what I need to do most jobs. And it isn't a project unless you have to buy a tool.

And yes, Mike is a used car dealer. Velocity had a 2nd show on a few yrs back with Mike and Edd where a customer would come to Mike's used car lot with some specs on what he / she wanted to buy. Then Mike would pull out 3 cars from his lot and the person would drive and critique them. By the end of the show, Mike always made a sale. As part of the side show, Edd would be in the back working on something and would point out some pearl of wisdom to the viewers. I don't remember the name of this show and it was only on for 1 or 2 seasons in the US. It wasn't as entertaining to me at Wheeler Dealer but a car show is more enjoyable than some dumb reality show.
I remember that show! It was named Auto Trader and it took place in Mike's Motors (Mike's fictitious garage). The show originally aired on the Discovery Channel back around 2006-2007.

Auto Trader - Part 2 of 4 - YouTube

It was OK but I agree Wheeler Dealers is a better show.
Marburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Carnut

It is on streetfire.net for you guys who might be interested to watch.

Search wheeler dealers boxster and it'll pop right up.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #18

Just watched it. They really got lucky with a $1600 car that only needed a tranny service. Oddly, they said the sausage aftermarket muffler they put on it wasn't loud. NOT. I bet it has tons of cabin resonance at 2500 rpm.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #19

I love Wheeler Dealers. Ed is a real inspiration as he does things the way a "real" mechanic would do things.. none of this "order from a catalog and bolt it on" crap that's flooded the television these days. He teaches you tips and tricks that everyday "home" mechanics can use.

It used to bug me at first too that they turn such a small profit and clearly Ed puts a lot of labor into some of them, but I chock it up to being a TV show, so the "profit" part of it is probably not that big of a deal in the long run.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
2000 Boxster S

Garage
Here's the full episode. Enjoy!

Wheeler Dealers - Porsche Boxster S by carvideoseu - Car Videos on StreetFire