Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Kaili <3

Garage
Car won't start :(

So I got in Sunday, cleaned the snow off and moved it into the sun so the snow would melt off. I went out Monday morning for work and it wouldn't start. It didn't even sound like it was trying. A few times It almost turned over. I smell fuel from the tail pipe and I hear the pump humming, so I have fuel. Battery is brand new last year, I had it changed anyway because it was a little weak. I didn't have the means to check for spark. Not to mention I'm super weak, that battery felt like it was 100 pounds! I'm so sore from lifting it out.

Anyway had to have it towed to my indie Porsche shop today. I'm worried it's going to be something really really bad.

Extended info:
The oil meter was good Sunday, and wasn't today, like 4 bars, I know that cranking the starter made it drop down to 2 bars yesterday but I figured letting it sit would have let the oil meter to work properly.

No codes from my ODB2 adapter, no check engine light.

The starter was making the whirring sound after start up which as I have read is the bendix not disengaging from the flywheel.

Guys have any ideas before the shop calls back with the diagnosis?

Oh car info lol:
03 Boxster S
Tiptronic trans
~64k miles, I was just about to get it in for my 60k maintenance and oil change.
Car has been running brilliant since I got it in August. with about 58k miles.
It's my daily driver

Last edited by shadowprincess25; 03-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.
shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #2

Garage
If it was running fine before it was parked for winter no reason to expect any problems other than caused by sitting unused. No worries with the oil level gauge. Not sure if you did get it started or not but I wouldn't worry it's probably simple issue related to lack of use might as well get the 60K service while it's there.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Is the starter actually turning the motor? From your "whirring" description, may be the starter solenoid...
Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Is the starter actually turning the motor? From your "whirring" description, may be the starter solenoid...
I thought that too when I first bought my car 10 years ago so dealer replaced starter under warranty. Had no effect on the noise. I later discovered it was slow chain tensioners allowing chain to flap on cold startups.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Kaili <3

Garage
It hasn't been sitting all winter lol. It's my daily. I am not sure if the starter is turning the motor, I don't think it is. I hear the starter moving, but I don't think it's turning the flywheel over.
shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 View Post
It hasn't been sitting all winter lol. It's my daily. I am not sure if the starter is turning the motor, I don't think it is. I hear the starter moving, but I don't think it's turning the flywheel over.
If the car has not been started in 4+ days the battery can discharge enough to not be able to turn the engine over even if the starter is engaging, especially when the weather is cold.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Unfortunately, it's already at the shop so any opportunities for troubleshooting before the shop rate counter starts ticking are lost. Without hearing the sound ur describing, it could be either one of the things mentioned... a discharged battery could def give u this condition in which case its as simple as a charge and out the door. However, if the noise ur describing is the starter spooling up but the engine not turning over then it sounds like ur starter solenoid.

**just reread ur post. "A few times it almost turned over." If that means it almost started but was struggling to get the engine to spin then I'd say it sounds like ur battery. Too bad u couldn't have gotten ur hands on a jumper box or something before having it towed just to make sure it wasn't the battery.

Last edited by sam c.; 03-12-2013 at 09:18 PM.
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #8

Garage
Just question really, if it was left out in the sun to let the snow melt, hasn't there been posts about plugged drain holes that render the Boxster dead, due to water in the vehicle?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAUSIDMT View Post
Just question really, if it was left out in the sun to let the snow melt, hasn't there been posts about plugged drain holes that render the Boxster dead, due to water in the vehicle?
That won't affect the battery or starter, just the immobilizer which prevents the car from starting even though the engine is turning over.