Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

What type of brake fluid?

About ready to flush my brake fluid but confused on what type to get. All the searches talk about ATE Super Blue. I've got blue fluid now so I will flush with amber. Will the ATE SL.6 work? Or am I making too big a deal about this. None of my local stores carry ATE so I'll have to order it. Or will any DOT Type 4 fluid work? Car is not driven hard and up here, the weather neither gets too hot or cold, if that matters. I supposed I can get the fluid from the dealer but I'll probably pay an arm and leg (paid $30 for a gallon of Porsche coolant at the dealer a while back).

Edit: The SL.6 is a low viscosity fluid if that makes any difference.

Edit #2: Or should I use this: ATE TYPE 200 Amber Brake Fluid is designed to excel within the extreme demands made on a race vehicle or by high performance drivers and exceeds all DOT4 standards. It is compatible with and will mix well with most DOT3, DOT4 or DOT 5.1 fluids.

Last edited by Gforrest2; 03-24-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

If you are not taking it to a race track, any name brand standard DOT 3/4 fluid will do you fine. Even at that, I have used Valvoline DOT 4 fluid from a local parts store before going to the track, and it was just fine.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
If you are not taking it to a race track, any name brand standard DOT 3/4 fluid will do you fine. Even at that, I have used Valvoline DOT 4 fluid from a local parts store before going to the track, and it was just fine.
Says right on the resivouir DOT 4 ONLY.

I just used Napa heavy duty dot 4. Flushed in great.

Made a HUGE difference. Bought the car in October. No idea when or if the fluid was flushed. My pedal is now solid as a rock compared. RR caliper had air in the inside chamber. Glad I finally did this!!!!!!!!!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #4

I have used ATE Blue for as long as I have owned my car since new, and have some serious track miles on mine. Never a problem.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

I alternate ATE Blue and Silver. Makes it easy to tell when the new fluid has reached the bleeders.

'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote