Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #21
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
Been running Philips Extremes now for over two years with NO issues. Casts light down the road where it belongs ... not glaring onto oncoming drivers.
Jaak,
I was hoping for a member to give these a thumbs-up.
Where are these available for purchase in Ontario?
CTC hopefully, as I have a rather large stack of CTC "money" I've been saving up for just such a purchase.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #22

Osram H9s

An option that has not been mentioned is to fit the Osram 65w H9 on an H7 base bulbs. The additional amperage and heat is reputed to be not a problem, and they are WAY better than any H7 bulb. I fitted these to the wife's Passat a few years ago and have had zero problems. The Passat's projectors with standard H7 bulbs were an inexplicable sick joke. The Osrams actually allow me to drive the car at night.

My Boxster has factory-fitted Litronics with the leveling function, and they are the best headlights I have ever experienced.
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Jaak,
I was hoping for a member to give these a thumbs-up.
Where are these available for purchase in Ontario?
CTC hopefully, as I have a rather large stack of CTC "money" I've been saving up for just such a purchase.
Steve ... I ordered it from the UK and it arrived 6 days later .... PORSCHE (US) BOXSTER (1997 - 2004) Car Headlight Bulbs | PowerBulbs

Here is another one from the states. I did get them from them in the past and it looks like the price has been lowered since I last ordered. Shipping may even them out ---> Philips Xtreme Power (TWO-PACK) Philips Xtreme Power H7 55W Halogen

I am very happy with them and I have also put them in my 2010 Ford F150 with very good results!!!

These are the only ones I would ever use.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
An option that has not been mentioned is to fit the Osram 65w H9 on an H7 base bulbs. The additional amperage and heat is reputed to be not a problem, and they are WAY better than any H7 bulb. I fitted these to the wife's Passat a few years ago and have had zero problems. The Passat's projectors with standard H7 bulbs were an inexplicable sick joke. The Osrams actually allow me to drive the car at night.

My Boxster has factory-fitted Litronics with the leveling function, and they are the best headlights I have ever experienced.
The extra heat will burn the lens inside the headlight units as they are plastic. Mine were burnt and I found another set that was barely used ... crystal clear, that I replaced them with. You will see many out there that are burnt ....

Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #25

Jaak, just to be clear...are you saying that you know for a fact that Osram Rallye 65w bulbs will burn Boxster headlamps? Or are you saying that, in general, higher-wattage bulbs will burn? I wouldn't recommend 80w or 100w bulbs--no way--but these 65w bulbs have not harmed my wife's Passat in any way, and before that, my 1999 Miata, and both have plastic headlamp housings.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
I'm running Litronics (from the factory - very happy
+1 on that!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Jaak, just to be clear...are you saying that you know for a fact that Osram Rallye 65w bulbs will burn Boxster headlamps? Or are you saying that, in general, higher-wattage bulbs will burn? I wouldn't recommend 80w or 100w bulbs--no way--but these 65w bulbs have not harmed my wife's Passat in any way, and before that, my 1999 Miata, and both have plastic headlamp housings.
I run the 65w Osram bulbs as the high beams and have had no issues - maybe those of you in high temp climates suffer?
Michiganstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
The extra heat will burn the lens inside the headlight units as they are plastic. Mine were burnt and I found another set that was barely used ... crystal clear, that I replaced them with. You will see many out there that are burnt ....
The PO of my car was running hotter bulbs that burned my lenses in spots to a faint brown color. Beware is you decide to try this that may cause more expensive issues one down the road...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #29

I just checked, and I also have been using the Osram 65w bulbs as my hi-beams for more than a year. Now, to be fair, I don't use my hi-beams all that much--the factory Litronics are so good I hardly ever need to use the hi-beams! But I can definitely say that there are no wiring issues with using them, at least in Litronics.

Still interested to hear if anyone is using them for their non-Litronic lo-beams, though. With 50% more lumens than a 55w H7, they should be terrific lo-beams--IF they don't burn the lamps.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Check out these threads. I did a quick search ....

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/24295-headlights.html

Nice headlights/bulbs?

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/10795-gambling-burnt-clear-headlights.html

80 Watt H7's

My friend has an indi P-Car shop and I see a lot of burnt headlights come in on the 996's and Boxsters. It is a comon problem. Do a search on CL or up here Kajiji sto see many of these units for sale. The lens is plastic and does not seem to take the heat too well.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #31

Update: my Philips bulbs are now going into 4th year of service and are still running strong in both the Beepster and my F150.