Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #21

Garage
The only thing I'd have to say about Tire Rack is shipping + they cannot install it for you. I was ambivalent taking my 18s to Discount tire as I feared they would scrape my wheels, but they take good care. My turbo twists are 7.5x18 and 9.5x18. I got Dunlop Direzzas and they are pretty good tires, inexpensive too. Good taste in the wheels, Bruce!

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #22

Garage
Thanks Kenny! I've had good luck with Discount in the past with other vehicles. I agree that with Tire Rack once you pay for the shipping it gets very close to Discount and, with Discount it is just easier to take them over there, 2 minutes from the house.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
please post with follow up once you receive. This seller has some notoriously bad feedback from Porsche owners and nearly as many positive experiences as well.
Wheels were delivered today with no problems. They shipped the same day that I paid so I would have to say they are an excellent seller.

The wheels look great with just a few noticeable marks on the polished rims. The paint on one is a bit worn but not overly so. They actually look better in person than what I thought they would based on the pictures. Some day I will probably splurge and have them refinished but for now I am very pleased. Now to order some tires!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #24

Garage
For tires go to the tire rack site and on the left side of the page click on survey results. Pick the category that best fits your budget and purpose. Buy one of the top two choices. I personally have Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec on my 01 S. There is not a tire out there with more grip in my opinion. Stick to Discount Tire for purchasing and mounting. The only negative with them is they don't fill with nitrogen. Take your tire rack price into Discount Tire and they will match it.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #25

Glad to see someone else with the same wheels for a change. I have been debating whether to keep my 18" SCII's and possibly painting them black with a polished lip or perhaps sell them and get some 19" Carrera Sports and paint them black with a polished/silver lip.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #26

Garage
Just placed an order with Discount Tire for Michelin Pilot Super Sport's. Their price was actually cheaper than Tire Rack's price. Not in stock so I have to wait.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Just placed an order with Discount Tire for Michelin Pilot Super Sport's. Their price was actually cheaper than Tire Rack's price. Not in stock so I have to wait.
Good choice. Another benefit to Michelin's superior & more expensive rubber compounds is the slower aging process. The higher resistance to UV light helps those that don't drive many miles per year but park where sunlight can hit the tires.

I believe your wheels have a stainless rim band that can be removed to straighten & repolish. BBS makes them & 10 years ago BBS was going to offer refurbishing service for the SS bands. I don't know if they do this now. BBS was in Atlanta at one time.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #28

Garage
Looks like the wheels will have to go back. I had the Michellins mounted the other day but two of the rims were bent. One front and one rear. You can only see it when the wheels are spinning. to the naked eye, the rims look fine. So I had Discount Tire take the tires off and I called LA Dismanteler. They thought they might have two replacements but I heard back from them yesterday day that they don't. So, they are refunding my money and now they will be shipped back. I have to say that LAD was very good through out this. They have apologized several times. They guarantee their wheels which is why I felt comfortable dealing with them. Buying used wheels from a private seller would be a big risk IMO. So it is disappointing but oh well, no big deal.

Discount Tire was also great. I have bought tires from them many times and they have been very good to me. They didn't charge me anything for the mount and dismount even though I tried to give them something for their time and effort.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #29

Garage
Bummer! During my search for 03-04 Boxster "CarreraII liteweight" 18 X 9" wheels I bought bent wheels twice on E-bay & returned them. Anytime you are introducing a unknown wheel to your car put it on a wheel balancer & spin it up so you can observe how true it is & how much weight is needed to balance it. This avoids issues later & yes this applies to new wheels also.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 03-01-2013 at 09:34 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwenz View Post
For tires go to the tire rack site and on the left side of the page click on survey results. Pick the category that best fits your budget and purpose. Buy one of the top two choices. I personally have Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec on my 01 S. There is not a tire out there with more grip in my opinion. Stick to Discount Tire for purchasing and mounting. The only negative with them is they don't fill with nitrogen. Take your tire rack price into Discount Tire and they will match it.
The other nice thing about Discount Tire is they swap out my rims/tires twice a year (summer tires vs all-seasons) for free. Also, when I have a flat tire - car, tractor, wheelbarrow - you name it - if it can be patched they'll do it for free. That kind of customer service cuts a lot of ice with me.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #31

Garage
^^^Yep, excellent service.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #32

What Size Tires will fit well?

Bruce, I actually just picked up the same Sport Classic BBS rims for my 2000 Boxster S. I wanted to ask what size tires you wrapped them in? Boxster suspension is stock and not lowered.

Thanks!
wazzu99163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #33

Garage
They had to go back, 2 were bent. I was going to use the Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Discount Tire. I am still driving on my stocks for now, still looking for another set.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #34

I put on Potenza RE970s a few months ago and could not be happier. They are much more quiet than the OEM Pilot Sports and handle a lot better, too. Of course, the Pilot Sports had DRY-ROTTED in 4 years and 17,000 miles while primarily sitting in my garage! Stupid Pilot Sports looked beautiful on the outside and still had nearly half their tread, but were slicker than heck in handling. I only replaced them because I wanted to drive year-round instead of having to park the car half the year due to cold temps -- THEN I discovered the vertical cracks in all 4 of them. The mechanic told me I was lucky I didn't have an accident.

Perhaps new Pilot Sports would handle a smidgen better than the RE970s but I only drive on the street and it makes no difference whatsoever. They feel pretty fast to me. And I can drive the RE970s year-round so maybe they won't get DRY-ROT in 4 years like the *&#& Pilot Sports.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #35

Garage
Spacer recommendations

Ok, I am going to try this again I won an auction for a set of BBS Sport Classic II Wheels Rims 18in OEM (7.5 x 18 ET50) & (10 x 18 ET65). The fronts will be fine without a spacer but the rears are going to need around a 20mm spacer, correct? Anyone have this set up? And any opinions on where to get my spacers? ie, good quality at a reasonable price?

I will probably stick to my original plan of putting the Pilot Super Sports on but I don't know the condition of the tires that are on there right now. I hope to pick them up over the weekend. Hopefully these will be true this time!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #36

Same wheels for my 2000 Boxster

BruceH

Were you able to get the 18x10 ET65 BBS Classic Sport II wheels to fit? I am looking at the same wheels for my 2000 Boxster and wonder what spacer you had to use on the rear wheels?

Thanks

James Green
green127045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by green127045 View Post
BruceH

Were you able to get the 18x10 ET65 BBS Classic Sport II wheels to fit? I am looking at the same wheels for my 2000 Boxster and wonder what spacer you had to use on the rear wheels?

Thanks

James Green
Yes I did, and I love them! I bought 20mm spacers from Wheel Dynamics

They come with short bolts to mount to the hub and then you use your original bolts to mount the wheel.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #38

Note to Discount Tire Users:

I took the Boxster in and they informed me they couldn't touch my wheels because I had spacers on my car.

So back home I went to remove them and put them in my DD and bring them back to be worked on
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #39

BruceH

That is a real nice blue color on your Boxster!!! What size and brand of tires are you running on those Classic Sport II?

I am also thinking about RS-903 wheels from wheel dyamnics, but seeing quite a few bad reviews on poor products and the lack of customer service.

James Green
green127045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #40

Garage
Thanks! Love the color as well

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/40ZR18XL 92Y B on the front and 265/35ZR18XL 97Y B on the rears. I really like the 903's and the 808's. I came close to ordering a set when I found my BBS's which is what I really wanted. It took a long time to find a good used set of the Sport Classic II's. I actually bought one set and returned them when I had the tires mounted and found out that two were not true. I looked at another set and one was out of true. The set I finally found is perfect! I had great service from Eli at Wheel Dynamics and I am very happy with the quality of the spacers. There are some others on the forum that have their wheels and seem to be happy so far. YMMV

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights