Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

At what mileage would you say the car starts to get suspension worn and other parts?

I am going to say that on average, when you start to get over 100,000 miles, the car's suspension and other similar parts start to show its age.

100k miles is nothing for a car and (non IMS) engine, but I've seen a number of people who need to start refreshing the suspension, motor mounts, etc.

My 01 only has 56k miles, and everything is still pretty tight, but even my ball joints occasionally make a noise. I had an 01 S55 Mercedes, and after 100k miles, numerous items went south. (Ball joints, motor mounts, etc)

Of course, when you've updated the car, a 150k car can feel like a 50k car. My Mercedes was spotless and drove perfectly up to when I sold it at 180k miles.

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

80,000 miles things are ok.

100,000 miles things are worn.

120,000 miles things are worn out.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
That depends on the car, the driver, and the weather. A Calif car lightly driven might go 150k before suspension is shot. A car driven harder or abused will wear faster. A car that is driving salted roads in winter will wear faster still.

I know, master of the obvious.

My car was a one owner Cali car that was driven regularly but lightly with dealership care and maint. At 96k we pulled the struts and they were pretty far along but still functional. My brothers car had an unknown history but appeared to have been driven much harder. At 70k his struts were completely toast. No dampening at all. I don't know how he drove it like that. How they are driven and cared for matters most.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #4

Wearing conditions depend on the driver and how he maintains his Porsche. The other and most damaging is the roads. Nice smooth roads, suspension will last a very long time, rough and bumpy roads will wear the suspension faster. Staying on top of your maintenance is the key to owning it for very long time.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

At 130k miles, my syspension is still tight as a drum in a shakedown test, the struts are still working fine. Tracks perfectly straight, smooth, no shakes or shimmys at any speed and good handling on the track.

The only problem I can see is I'm getting the classic clatter from the rear suspension when going over very small imperfections in the road.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
That depends on the car, the driver, and the weather. A Calif car lightly driven might go 150k before suspension is shot. A car driven harder or abused will wear faster. A car that is driving salted roads in winter will wear faster still.
big time.

Me shocks were shot by 69K miles. Driven only weekends, kept in a toasty garage.
But it was driven year round in cold snowy winters, as it good for the engine (rather than letting it sit for long periods) but the tradeoff is much more abuse on the suspension/wheels. And one reason why I decided on dedicated winter wheels. I was shocked at how difficult/expensive is to replace a single Carrera factory wheel. I was being offered "bargain" prices of $500 for a used one that still needed repainting. Moral of the story, if you live in the north east have proper set ups for winter and stay on the smooth highway, avoid torn up local and city roads.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

If you live in Puerto Rico or the USVI, 40k tops and your struts and some other parts will definetely need replacing.

Regards,
Fred

'99 Boxster Artic Blue/Tan interior 30.5K m
Mods & Ups:
'06 Boxster 17' Wheels w/ Conti SC2s
'00 911C front bumper cover
8K HID bulbs (low beams), Hyper Whites High and Fog
'03 986 rear bumber cover, spoiler & Titanium trunk letters
SS Headers, K&N & De-snorkled 'a la Pedro'
LNE's IMS bearing & billet cap, 160 thermostat, mag oil plug & billet chain tensioner
89mm LNE Nickies & JE Pistons + '00 911 78mm Crank = 2.9L 12:1 = 0-60 5.1secs
ALarracuente is offline   Reply With Quote