Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Got some new tires - Kumho All season's

So when I got my Boxster, it had Continental Sport contact 2 summer tires on it.

Basically, even with around 5/32 of tread left, they were performing rather poorly. Considering it's the winter, they have no place in temperatures below 40 degrees to begin with, but there were other issues.

They were not balanced properly, and I was getting a shimmy and vibration at 65mph, which was rather unnerving.

So recently I put on 4 brand new Kumho Ecsta ASX all season tires on.

I have a BMW with Blizzak snow tires for winter driving, but I do like to take the Boxster out frequently, even in winter, so these tires are perfect for me.

Honestly, I have not really felt any performance detriment compared to a summer tire. They grip very well, even when it is wet out and cold - and they are quiet and comfortable.

They completely changed the feel of the car. Before the car was unstable and vibrating at highway speeds, the new tires plus balance made the car feel like new.

I recommend them - and I paid under $460 for the set, even better!

(For street driving I feel all seasons are good enough - especially for this car. If we are talking about a higher performing sports car, then the need arises for better summer tires for maximum performance)

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
I too put Kumhos on back, they were the performance ASX tire. They work great! Pretty predictable in a slide. Too bad they did not last more than 15,000 miles. Good thing they have a Mfr. treadwear warranty…now I can take them back and get a rebate to help out buying new ones! Will probably get Kumhos again.

Thanks for confirming what I was feeling too.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #3

About three months ago, I decided to change the OEM Michelin Pilot Sports on my 08 Cayman because I was tired of keeping it in the garage all winter long. My car was bought new in April 09 and had only 15K miles, and the Michelins had lots of tread left, so I thought the change was just for my own convenience. I ordered new Bridgestone Potenza RE470s through Tire Rack and presold my old Pilot Sports to a guy who wanted them for racing. When I brought my car to the shop, I discovered that all four Pilot Sports had dry rot. It manifested only in vertical cracks in between each row of tread. They looked great from the side and you really could only see the problem if you looked directly at them. The shop told me they were actually dangerous -- and the shop had nothing to gain by telling me that, so I tend to believe them. I had to cancel the sale of the tires and I refunded the guy's money.

What I discovered is that new Bridgestone Potenza RE470 all-season tires handle MUCH better than dry-rotted Michelin Pilot Sports. Until I changed the tires, I always thought the handling of the car really wasn't what it was cracked up to be, as I could easily spin out. Now I am taking turns at speeds that definitely would have spun me out before, plus I've been driving all winter instead of leaving it in the garage.

What is weird is that the Pilot Sports' handling had never really changed the whole time I've owned the car. They would always slide at a certain turn near my house, and I just thought it was a handling issue with me or the car. The Potenzas don't slide and that particular turn is a blast to take now. Makes me wonder if the Pilot Sports were already dry-rotted by the time I bought the car -- the car having sat in the sun on the dealer's lot for a very long time before I bought it (built Dec 07, sold Apr 09). The shop told me that dry-rot of high-performance summer tires is very common. Sure, they were exposed for 15 months on the dealer lot, but it's been garaged since then. I just don't think they should have had this problem in just over 4 years under these circumstances.

I guess fresh Pilot Sports must really have great grip, but I really cannot imagine that I would have any use for more grip than the Potenzas. Dry rot in 4 years and inability to drive in winter pretty much make it a sure thing that the Pilot Sports were my last set of "summer" tires. My experience makes me wonder if your Continentals also had dry-rot.

Last edited by johnsimion; 01-29-2013 at 04:30 AM.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #4

Where did you get them for $460 a set?
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport AS on mine. As the rears are completely shot (20,000 miles), I'm replacing the entire set with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110. Due to a credit from the treadlife warranty on the Michelins and Discount Tire having a sale on 2/1 and 2/2 ($100 off a set of any four installed), I'm getting them for $490 out the door.

As I mainly commute with my Boxster, I don't need super high-performance, and don't really need all-seasons since it doesn't snow here (or get that cold).

Let us know how the Kumhos work out for you. I used to run Kumho Ecsta Supras on my VWs and they were decent enough. I'm sure their newer offerings are a lot better.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #6

not a higher performing car? We're going to have to agree to disagree there. From the seats to the front bumper this is the 99-01 Carrera. And with the engine in the right place to boot..... which in my opnion makes your car a superior handling sports car than the 911 <-- no slouch by anyone's standard.

All season tires are bad compromise for this car if you live where it snows. Relative to a performance tire, the car feels very numb during summer, and during winter you're in trouble if on a drive home it starts to come down fast and hard. I had this happen to me twice here in NJ. Last time was two seasons ago.
I walked into the mall around 4PM -- no snow. By the time I walked out at 6PM the snow was hitting the ground like I'd never seen before. I was on SNOW TIRES and just barely getting by at 15 mph. That was rare but on snows you'll be ready for any abrupt change in conditions.

The best thing to do with the Boxster is to have two sets of wheels. Swap around Thanksgiving.
With an impact gun, torque wrench and race jack you can do all four sides in 30 minutes tops. I picked up a replica set of wheels $600. Actually the snow tires cost more. But given they're only on duty for five months they can last 3 or 4 seasons, which in turn extends the life of your summer tires. And honestly when it comes to tires unless you are chewing up the tires quickly, saving $600 for budget tires vs. top shelf doesn't seem worth it. When I had the Potenza RE-11's first mounted, the instant they turned one full revolution I could feel the difference. It was as if I was driving with thick winter gloves before and then ripped them off. Obviously once the tires got to temp it really started to show. Bottom line is that excellent rubber makes the Boxster as good as it can be. Some people spend $5K on exhaust/intake mods that can't achieve the goal that an extra $600 on tires will. By far the most bang for the buck mod.
I would say going with all season tires is more about the way the sports car is driven than how good the sports car is.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-29-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote