Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

Will 06 Cayman S wheels/tires work on an 03 Boxster S?

I just bought a used set of 06 Cayman S wheels and tires. Will these work on an 03 S and clear the calipers and inner fender wells? Or will I need spacers? Below are the sizes and offsets of the wheels and tires. Thanks for the help!

Front are 235/35/19
Stamped on inside: 8jx19-et57

Rear are 265/35/19
Stamed on back:9.5jx19-et46

3point2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

They should fit just fine, stock rims have an offset of 54 in the front and 40-43 in the rear. So you can probably use them just fine, but a 3-5mm spacer could be used on all four wheels to bring the offsets to stock specs.

I didnt realize these were 19's, my figures are relevant for 17-18" rims.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 01-24-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

I put Cayman rims on my box some time ago and I had 5 mm spacers before which I had to remove. That would mean that they should fit just fine.

Ah just saw that you have 19", mine at 18" so all bets are off
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Only point to caution is that the tires on the 9x7 platform Porsches are larger in diameter than the 9x6 platform models.

Example: 2004 986 on 18" wheels runs 225/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear, with overall diameters of 25.1" (~829 revs/mile) and 25.3" (~822 revs/mile) respectively.

Contrast with: 2006 987 with 18" wheels runs 235/40/18 front and 265/40/18 rear, with overall diameters of 25.4" (~819 revs/mile) and 26.3" (~790 revs/mile) respectively.

(Size comparison data from Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.)

Not sure if there's a way to recalibrate the speedometer, but it may end up reading slow with the larger diameter rear tires in place.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like try should work as is.

I'm going to try and put the wheels on this weekend. Hopefully I won't run into any issues.

Another question. If I wanted to have the wheels flush with the fender, what size spacers would be recommended? And where is the best place to pick up spacers?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point2 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like try should work as is.

I'm going to try and put the wheels on this weekend. Hopefully I won't run into any issues.

Another question. If I wanted to have the wheels flush with the fender, what size spacers would be recommended? And where is the best place to pick up spacers?
The front offset at +57 is way high for a 986 boxster. You may in fact run into a clearance problem with the strut. Therefore, I would recommend bringing the offset down to at least +45, or more, if you're looking for an aggressive stance. As far as the rears are concerned, as Deserion indicated, the 35mm aspect ratio at a minimum will altered the speedometer calibration. That aside, if you're looking for a more aggressive fitment on the rear, you could easily lower the offset to +40 without any issues.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 01-24-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

Garage
Not sure if there's a way to recalibrate the speedometer, but it may end up reading slow with the larger diameter rear tires in place.[/QUOTE]

It will instantly be slow with 1" taller rear tire. Clutch won't like it either.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #8

The speedometer won't bother me as much.

Where is the best place to pick up spacers? Is there a certain type I should be going for?

Thanks again for the replies!

-Leo
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Johnny Danger- What would you recommend for final offsets for the flush look? I might be going with Eibach lowering springs and want the flushest look possible but want to avoid rolling of the inner fenderwell and any potential rubbing. What's the lowest offset front and rear? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
The front offset at +57 is way high for a 986 boxster. You may in fact run into a clearance problem with the strut. Therefore, I would recommend bringing the offset down to at least +45, or more, if you're looking for an aggressive stance. As far as the rears are concerned, as Deserion indicated, the 35mm aspect ratio at a minimum will altered the speedometer calibration. That aside, if you're looking for a more aggressive fitment on the rear, you could easily lower the offset to +40 without any issues.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Johnny Danger- What would you recommend for final offsets for the flush look? I might be going with Eibach lowering springs and want the flushest look possible but want to avoid rolling of the inner fenderwell and any potential rubbing. What's the lowest offset front and rear? Thanks!
I hasten to say, that based on suspension set-up, wheel and tire specs ect, every vehicle presents it's own set of challenges. Having said that, if you stay with a 235 tire up front (and there's no real reason why you shouldn't), you could probably go as aggressive as +40 while still leaving room for error. As for the rears, based on a 275 tire you could also go as low as +40. Again, this will leave room for error.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #11

I was able to install the wheels last weekend. The rears are no problem at all. The front tires however rub in the inner fenderwell liner toward the front of the tire at 3/4 to full turn.

The look and stance of the car have changed dramatically compared to the tiny 17s I had on there previously. The car also feels much more planted. I'll try to post pics ASAP.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #12

Before

After

Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #13

Looks awesome! Now how is the ride, is it very stiff? Are you happy with it?
Springman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Before

After

There are tabs on the fender liners that will allow you to adjust them. Look closely in the area of the bottom front of the fender well, and you should see them.

p.s. I'm surprised that you were able to clear the front struts with a +57 offset. In the event you should decide to install adjustable coil overs, you'll definitely have a problem clearing the perch.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #15

Springman26- Thanks. The car feels much more planted with the larger/wider setup. It's slightly stiffer but not at all back breaking. No regrets!

Johnny Danger- The tire was very close (around 1/4") to the bottom of the lower strut seat.

Thanks for the tip on the adjustable tabs! Would you be able to tell me how to make the adjustments more in detail? That would be very helpful!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #16

3.2 - sent you a pm
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Springman26- Thanks. The car feels much more planted with the larger/wider setup. It's slightly stiffer but not at all back breaking. No regrets!

Johnny Danger- The tire was very close (around 1/4") to the bottom of the lower strut seat.

Thanks for the tip on the adjustable tabs! Would you be able to tell me how to make the adjustments more in detail? That would be very helpful!
I recall a few years back when my vehicle was undergoing a body kit project, we ran into a similar problem where my front tire was making contact in lower frontal area of the fender shield. To make a long story short, the person doing the work discovered that the shield was adjustable. Just exactly how and where the tabs (I call them tabs for lack of a better description) where located - I don't recall. All I can suggest is that you take your wheel off and poke around in there. It may not be obvious, but there's a way to reposition the shield further inward toward the bumper.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 01-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #18

The plastic liners have plastic rivets that connect to metal brackets. you will most likely have to bend the brackets to push the liners back . not any real adjustment there. I just installed a new bumper and was all up in there a couple of days ago.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
The plastic liners have plastic rivets that connect to metal brackets. you will most likely have to bend the brackets to push the liners back . not any real adjustment there. I just installed a new bumper and was all up in there a couple of days ago.
That's probably more likely the case. Funny how tech's call it an adjustment, when in fact it's more like a reassignment ! All I know is that they were able to tweak the shield without harming anything.