Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

2000 S is stalling...like it has narcolepsy

Hi, My 2000 Boxster S has started stalling. By that I mean that the engine just stops. No roughness or misfires, no thunking noise or feeling of a mechanical interference causing it it to stop, it just turns off. It's abrupt like the key was turned off. First time it happened was on the highway. I felt a stumble, but it kept running, feeling like when you push start something while rolling downhill, fed more gas to keep it going, but as soon as I came to a stop, the engine quit. Wouldn't start, towed it. Next day it starts, runs some minutes, then stops. There is no rough running, and I can restart it once or twice, but after that it won't catch. But after a few hours it will start again. I have a durametric tool, wondering what to look at. Battery is OK, cranks fine, just doesn't catch.

Yes, i have had codes 0133, 0153, 1275, 1276. But these predate this stalling by quite some time. The codes point to emissions issues, and need to be addressed, but could they cause these abrupt stalls?

I have not done anything prior to these stalls, like changing air filter, etc. I did change the oil some months ago.

Thinking it could be fuel issue, I bought a fuel filter, looks easy enough to replace. But I don't like to take chances by running it much without some better idea of what could be wrong.

I'm new to this kind of diagnosis. I have had only an air oil separator failure in the 8 years and 130K miles I have had it, and the two precat O2 sensors. Would appreciate advice.

Last edited by steverw; 01-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.
steverw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverw View Post
Hi, My 2000 Boxster S has started stalling. By that I mean that the engine just stops. No roughness or misfires, no thunking noise or feeling of a mechanical interference causing it it to stop, it just turns off. It's abrupt like the key was turned off. First time it happened was on the highway. I felt a stumble, but it kept running, feeling like when you push start something while rolling downhill, fed more gas to keep it going, but as soon as I came to a stop, the engine quit. Wouldn't start, towed it. Next day it starts, runs some minutes, then stops. There is no rough running, and I can restart it once or twice, but after that it won't catch. But after a few hours it will start again. I have a durametric tool, wondering what to look at. Battery is OK, cranks fine, just doesn't catch.

Yes, i have had codes 1138, 1275, 1276. But these predate this stalling by quite some time. The codes point to emissions issues, and need to be addressed, but could they cause these abrupt stalls?

I have not done anything prior to these stalls, like changing air filter, etc. I did change the oil some months ago.

Thinking it could be fuel issue, I bought a fuel filter, looks easy enough to replace. But I don't like to take chances by running it much without some better idea of what could be wrong.

I'm new to this kind of diagnosis. I have had only an air oil separator failure in the 8 years and 130K miles I have had it, and the two precat O2 sensors. Would appreciate advice.
I didn't investigate your P codes, but 1st thing that pops in my head is fuel pump. That seems to be the fastest growing problem with these 986s. Is your tank low on fuel? Have you ever changed the fuel filter? I would install the new filter & see if it helps.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Codes are associated with the O2 sensors and cats.

Most likely guess without more info is fuel filter or fuel pump.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Check the fuel pressure & delivery rates, also check out the crank position sensor.