Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Problems after spark splug change.

I am in the middle of replacing all 6 spark plugs and tubes. I finished up the job and put the car all back together but when I went to start the car it would not start at all and stumbled. I checked the wires that plug into the coils and one seemed to be loose. Then the car started but ran rough. It seems like one cylinder is misfiring. I've taken out all the coils again and made sure the plugs were seated correctly and nothing changed. What should I be checking next? I feel like one of the new plugs may be bad.

BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #2

Garage
I'd put the old plugs back in to see if it runs better, a new bad plug is common... Did you gap them to make sure the gap is approx 0.8mm...
H
Heiko's PCAR Motorsports
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

BrandonJames
I assume you are getting a CEL light? I just finished replacing my plugs and tubes today (see my post earlier today asking for help). I had 2 cylinders misfiring because I did not properly "snap in" the wire into each coil.

I was only able to identify the specific problem by using a Innova OBD2 diagnostic tool that I bought from Walmart (~$100). That tool also helped me erase the CEL light after I addressed the problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheckler View Post
BrandonJames
I assume you are getting a CEL light? I just finished replacing my plugs and tubes today (see my post earlier today asking for help). I had 2 cylinders misfiring because I did not properly "snap in" the wire into each coil.

I was only able to identify the specific problem by using a Innova OBD2 diagnostic tool that I bought from Walmart (~$100). That tool also helped me erase the CEL light after I addressed the problem.
It ran on what seemed like 5 cylinders with a rough idle. No CEL. I just reinstalled the old plugs and now I'm not able to start the car. Just cranks. Probably gonna have a dead battery soon. I wont have access to a code reader till tomorrow morning. No idea what is happening here
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #5

Well after 14 hours of hard labor I got the car running again. I decided to go back to the new plugs and try my luck one more time. Turned out the coil pack wiring connectors kept unplugging while I was installing the small bolts that hold it. This caused multiple misfires. The car started smooth this time but I noticed a loud ticking on the right side of the motor near the plugs. I read that this could be a loose plug so I re-torqued all of them on that side. When I started it again there was still a tick....now I'm thinking I messed something up with misfires but when I started it and drove home the car ran better than before and the noise disappeared. Any idea what that ticking was?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

Probably a lifter - your multiple start /stop attempts affect the complete filling of the hydraulic lifters on startup.
On the plug / coil pack installation, its probably best to mount the coil packs before installing the electrical connection to avoid the plug coming loose while jockying the coil pack into place....