Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #1

gearbox reverse switch

Hi,

New to this forum so please excuse me if anything similar has been covered already. Anyway my dad pointed out the other day my reverse lights werent working when i visited, so when i got home checked bulbs, fuse etc and norrowed it down to the reverse switch on gearbox.

So i promptly removed the switch (would have been a damn sight easier had i known it was this before putting the exhaust back on an hour earlier after having hayward and scott bypass mod done). Never mind the switch was deffinately at fault siezed solid infact.

Here is my query though as i removed the switch air was released from the gearbox quite alot infact as though it had built up pressure. Ive had this happen on 4x4 axles before when the breather is blocked. Is there a breather on the gearbox or is this normal Just so you know the car is dry as a bone underneath no oil leaks at all and its a 986 2001 boxster s sorry if this is a daft question.

mackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
here you go sir.
a small amount of pressure is normal.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

Your a star meir been searching all over for a decent pic you have just confirmed what i thought was it. Will probably check it anyway as car had been stood a week so would expect it to have leaked most of pressure out if it were breathing ok. Thanks again
mackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

Will a faulty breather valve cause damage to the transmission ? I had the same issue and probably the valve is faulty.

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gearbox , reverse , switch