Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #101

In my quest for the perfect roadster - I had originally intended to go with the current gen Miata (MX-5?). Had an absolute blast test driving a couple around the auto-malls in town and not only enjoyed the way it drove, but it had a great exhaust note too (sub 3,500 RPM - better than my box). However - when taking it on the highway, the size freaked me out - especially when pulling beside Hummers & F-150s. Also as a daily driver (which mine is) - the lack of trunk space was a real put off.

An '02 base boxter showed up on an Acura's used lot next door and on a whim - took my first drive behind the wheel. The highway stability and speed was in a totally different class and the car seemed to predict my thoughts on where I wanted it to move. That was it.....love! The obsession began and I'm glad for it.

Miata is a obviously a great car with heaps of accolades to show for it ... just not everyone's cup of tea depending on their driving needs.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...yvr/Avatar.jpg
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #102
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I looked at a Miata last year before going with my Boxster. It seemed like a fun little car, but the trunk space was a major drawback since the car is my daily driver.

Plus, for some reason whenever I think of a Miata I think of my old soccer coach, I don't know why.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #103

Send a message via AIM to sonny200
I know this is an old thread but I just got around to reading it.

Before getting my '03 S, I've owned 3 Miata & still have my latest one. I had a '97 STO that I totaled at a track event; a '91 POS that was supposed to be converted into a racecar but never did; & a '95 M-Edition that I still own & is my dedicated track car.

I've modded the '95M extensively & has an FMII turbo system in it. Of course, it has modded suspension, etc. The car makes 220 rwhp & weighs less than 2600# with driver. It isn't very refined but it is faster than my Boxster & will run circles around any stock 986 on the track. There are many great things about the Miata including: 1) low maintenance costs & 2) less expensive car (I purchased this Miata 6 years ago for less than $7k). This way, if I ruin the Miata on the track, I won't be out that much $$$.

But I think I've got the best of both worlds -- Boxster S for daily driving & stupid-fast Miata for the track.

2003 Porsche Boxster S
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
1995 M-Edition FMII Mazda Miata

Sponsored by P.O.S. Motorsports
sonny200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #104

I had a used '99 miata as a second car for a few years. Fun to drive. Absolutely no maintanence except for an oil change. However, the car was loud, it was very difficult to hear the car stereo when the top was down, the AC did not run cold (expecially when stopped) and the car skidded when the road was wet.
I never felt really safe in the car, especially when driving on the highway next to a tractor trailer.

The Boxster is a completely different ride. The car is much more stable, never skids during a rain, my AC runs very cold (big issue in Tampa) and with my rear speakers, the sound is more than adequate with the top down. Also, I feel proud when driving my Boxster. Never felt that way in the Miata.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #105

Own a Miata before getting a Box? Nope. I went from 1994 Honda Civic (no lie) to my '01 Box. I also have a 1960 MGA so I'm beginning to think I have some sort of aversion to having a roof over my head when I drive.
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #106

96 M edition

I had a 96 M edition Miata. I loved that car, my sister talked me into selling it to her last year. Then she moved to Maryland (from California) and took it with her so I can't even visit the when I want to. I missed it so much that I ordered my 08 Box with the Midnight Blue Metallic exterior and beige interior, very similar to the Starlight Mica/beige combination on the Miata.

The Miata was a blast to drive. Though it had less power than the Box and so one needs to downshift more, the gearshift on the Miata was so nice to use. The Box shifter is not quite as precise or easy to shift as the Miata 5-speed. Did not care much for the 2nd gen Miata and even less the 3rd generation. Things like the chrome door handles on the 1 gen gave it a retro touch that set it apart from contemporary cars.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #107

I currently own a 2008 987S and a 1995 Miata. The Miata is a great tossable sports car with a timeless design and is soooo affordable. The Boxster just does everything so well that it spoils you for almost anything else, but I can't part with the Miata as it is just too good a car to give away at its current value. Plus they are both in matching red with a tan leather interior.
vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #108

I just got my 2008 Boxster last week. Before that I had been driving my '92 Miata for 16 years.

I test drove a 2008 Miata and right after that I drove a 2008 Boxster (the dealers were less than a mile apart). For me there was no comparison. I really love the original Miatas (or I wouldn't have kept mine for 16) years, but I like the Boxster a whole lot more.
jbkauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #109

I owned a 1990 Miata. bought it with 50k miles - and crashed/totaled it with about 90k on it.

Now have a 2000 Base Boxster with M030 and 18s.

I had the miata quite a few years ago - but loved it. My miata was modded with intake/headers/exhaust/illuminas/springs/sway bars - it was a really fun car - but honestly, I think the boxster is a better car.

the miata was bulletproof. I had NO problems with it. NONE. I did basic maintenance - but NEVER had anything break.

bang for the buck the miata is a great car - but if I could have only one - it would be the boxser all the way.

no one calls my Boxster a chick car. all the guys at work are jealous.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier405
Dare I enter this thread?

I owned not a Miata, but a del Sol.

Fabulous little car, I loved the turbine rocket sound as the VTEC kicked in. I think it was a highly underappreciated car. At 200k miles I came to a decision - trick it out for racing, or spend that money on a Boxster. So I got the Box, but looking back I always wish I knew how my del Sol would have faired with new intake and exhaust, sway bars, wheels and tires...
I had a delSlo also. It was a great car. With the removable roof that did not compromise trunk space and the roll down rear window it was a true Targa. It got great fuel economy and was a hoot to drive. But the problem with it as a race car was the chassis. Without a roof the car was just too flexible to be a great handling car. You made the right decision. Putting stiff springs and bars on the car would have made it a cowl shake king.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #111

I've enjoyed reading the responses regarding the Miatas. I've driven them, as many friends owned them, but I never had one personally. My brother-in-law is on his second and it's a really neat car. Having two kids, my weekend car has always been a 911 variant due to the two rear seats. Now that my kids are both in their teens, I finally got my Box S a few years back to go along with my 911.

I wanted an open air sports car for my 50th BD and it had to be a Porsche. If I would have had the opportunity earlier on, I may have bought a Miata just to hold me over. Now, many of my friends park their Porsches and have bought spec Miatas for the track. They handle great, though underpowered, but a blast to drive. And you don't have to worry about a $20k + engine rebuild!

BTW, my son started to AX the Box this year...what a blast to watch.

Last edited by jmatta; 11-15-2008 at 01:14 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #112

I have a 05 Boxster S for my street car and a modified 1991 Turbo Miata for DE track days. The Miata is street legal and I always have a smile on my face when I am driving it. Its not unusual for me to wonder while I am driving the Miata why I even own the Boxster. Then I drive the Boxster and I am immediately reminded. They are both fantastic in their own right!
greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #113

Miata ownership

Count me as a prior Miata owner. I had a '97, the last year they had the retractable headlights (I don't like the new design).

Great car, low maintenance costs and fun to drive. I traded it for my second Porsche (a cherry 944).

Comparing the two cars (Miata v. Box) is an apples/oranges thing to me. Personally, while I love my Boxster, the one advantage of the Miata was that I didn't worry so much about it. If I didn't wash it one week or went an extra few miles between oil changes, no problem, the thing was bullet proof. With the Box, I worry too much ("is that burning I smell.....?).
jgatsby57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #114

I bought my '99 Miata a day after the test drive. The little bit of extra room created with the new model was just enough to make it comfy for me. I really loved that car. Sold it when I got my 2005 Boxster S last summer. If I'd had a 3 car garage, I would have kept it forever.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #115

I have owned a number of Miatas and truly appreciate the car. It is a fantastic platform for serious suspension upgrades. My recent 01' was fitted with Tein coilovers and other bits to make it feel like it was on rails. The gearbox is so easy to shift that I have never found anything comparable. Even my S2000 didn't equal the gearbox of the Miata.

I just purchased my 01' Boxster S and it's in another class. I previously owned an 88' 911, which I truly loved and now I'm back to Porsche again. I am looking forward to many years of ear-to-ear grins with my new ride.
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #116

Quick, you should have some insight on my auto purchasing dilemma, having owned all 3 cars I'm considering. How was the S2000 to live with on a daily basis? I've driven it, the Boxster, and Miata. The lack of low end power is annoying w/ the S2, but the shifter is great, and it's at least $5,000 cheaper than a Porsche. I like the Boxster best, but am worried about maint. costs (and IMS failure!), and the fact that I can only afford a $25k purchase price right now, which means an older/higher milage car and more service issues. The Miata is OK, but didn't excite me like the other 2 options. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #117

"How was the S2000 to live with on a daily basis?"

Steve:

The lack of torque at low RPMs was always a detractor. If you drove it like you just stole it, the car was great and alot of fun. It's not fun missing the 1-2 or 2-3 shift at redline which happened occasionally for me. I always thought that the differential ratio was not the best for a six-speed. Also the 4-5 synchro in the tranny started to get balky at around 12k miles...weird. I think the S2k engine is nearly bullet-proof.

The value of all three used cars is excellent provided they are well maintained.
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #118

Does the Honda have a rev. limiter? I thought it could use a lower first gear for "stoplight performance", of course that would make 1st unusable other than starts. Is it possible to find a good condition, reliable Boxter for under $25K?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Does the Honda have a rev. limiter? I thought it could use a lower first gear for "stoplight performance", of course that would make 1st unusable other than starts. Is it possible to find a good condition, reliable Boxter for under $25K?
If you are able to look hard and be patient you should be able to find a 987 Boxster for around $25k in this market.

Last edited by mookarma; 11-19-2008 at 02:50 PM.
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #120

Yeah, I guess It'll just take allot of legwork. Pricing is crazy, I've seen seemingly identicle '03 S models, one listed at $35K, the other at $25K!