Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #121
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Quick, you should have some insight on my auto purchasing dilemma, having owned all 3 cars I'm considering. How was the S2000 to live with on a daily basis? I've driven it, the Boxster, and Miata. The lack of low end power is annoying w/ the S2, but the shifter is great, and it's at least $5,000 cheaper than a Porsche. I like the Boxster best, but am worried about maint. costs (and IMS failure!), and the fact that I can only afford a $25k purchase price right now, which means an older/higher milage car and more service issues. The Miata is OK, but didn't excite me like the other 2 options. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve
I've owned 3 Miatas (still have 2 of them for the track) an S2000 and the Boxster S. I really liked the S2000 and don't have much bad to say about it. I thought the build quality was excellent and I've always thought the "lack of torque" issue was way over blown at least for the 2004-later cars. You did have to ring it out to get the most out of it, but the same can be said for Boxsters in my opinion. For me, the S2000 shifter is the best I've owned, better than the Miata and a lot better than the Boxster S even with the factory sport shifter.

The one thing I didn't like about the S2000 was the car tendencies. A Miata is extremely well balanced and can be driven up to the limits of the car pretty easy. When it starts to slide the car "wants" to come back into shape, it's very confidence building. I find the Boxster S to me much the same, very balanced, very easy to push the car hard and feel good about it.

The S2000 on the other hand tends to have a bit of oversteer build into it which turns into snap-oversteer in a heartbeat if you aren't paying attention and pre-2006 cars don't have traction control as an option. Driving an S2000 reminds me a lot more of driving a 911 (as far as tendencies go) than driving a Miata or Boxster. That's probably part of the charm for some because with the S2000 (as well as the 911), they will flat go in the hands of a capable driver. I have a bunch of track experience, etc, but even with that I still feel more comfortable in the Boxster S and Miata. Different strokes.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Does the Honda have a rev. limiter? I thought it could use a lower first gear for "stoplight performance", of course that would make 1st unusable other than starts. Is it possible to find a good condition, reliable Boxter for under $25K?
Stephen, I just bought an 03 Boxster S, 6 spd, cruise, PSM, Windstop, 14,400 miles for $27K. The car was in show room condition inside and out. I actually think I could have negotiated a better deal but thought the price was fair. So I think you can get a pretty good low mileage Boxster for your price range. Shop around for the right car with the colors and options you want - and buy an "S".

Oh and to keep this thread on track - I didn't have a Miata, but have had a 1967 and a 1968 Triumph GT6 and I still own a 1980 Triumph TR8.

Dave S.

Last edited by Dave S.; 11-22-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #123

Thanks for you thoughts guys. It's hard to tell how a car is to live with in just a few test drives. Dave, I would love an S type, but I thought it might be tough to do on my budget. A base would be easier to find in good condition? Am I the only one that likes the 986 interior better? I like the 987 exterior though.
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #124
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would go with a Base. I would rather have a nicer car with less HP, than stretch my budget and get something in bad condition. Unless you're autocrossing, or racing the Base has plenty of power for daily driving and you'll still be faster than 90% of the cars on the road.

I also like the 986 interior better (although I'm biased). The pre-'03's don't have cup holders but overall I think it flows better. I feel like a lot of the stuff in the 987 is tacked on so Porsche could say it's the new model. The 986 was designed in the image of the 550 Spyder, the 987 strays from that idea, so it can be "new."
Just my opinion.