Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #1

987 stereo volume

Hi,

I've got an '05 987 and I've got a question about the stereo. The volume of the stereo seems to automatically adjust based on something (ambient noise? speed? RPM?). I hate it. Is there any way to turn this feature off?

Thanks,
Berj

berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #2

I have a 986, but it may be the same deal? The sound level is speed controlled. You can vary the degree to which it adjusts or just turn it off using a control on the radio. On the 986, you press and hold the button that has an outline of a downwards arrow on it for over 8 seconds, which will bring up a user menu. You use the tuning knob to select the option "GAL" and then the buttons for left and right arrows that align with two of the tuning presets raise and lower the setting. A 00 is no volume control, a 07 is the max.

I was playing with this the other day and an 07 is too much, I found it very annoying. A lower setting was much better and I preferred it to having it turned off.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #3

On the 987, pressing the Sound button a couple of times will take you to GAL, and it's only On or Off, not adjustable. I turned mine off, as it doesn't work well. The GAL is speed-sensitive volume, and with the amount of engine noise in the Boxster, it just doesn't help.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #4

Might want to mention what sound system you have. In my 987 with the Bose sound system, there is no "GAL" option. The setting is called "AP" instead.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #5

Minor correction to whttkrasst's post. GAL is on/off but also adjustable from 1-7. The adjustment procedure is detailed on page 20 of the CDR-24 Operations Manual. I have mine turned to +7 because I like the feature.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote