Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 AM   #1

fun day at the track

Took the Boxster to DE friday - what a fun day. Had a great instructor (thanks Heath), and I think I made some progress as a result. Got signed off and did the last run of the day solo. What a blast. Beautiful weather, good people to chat with.

Had a Lotus Elise in our group. Well driven, fast little car! Passed me a number of times. Low CG and great power/weight ratio. He let me sit in it - I fit (6'4"), but getting in/out requires fluidity. Once in though, there is ample head and leg room for even me.

Random thought: Z06's do well at the track. Good brakes, good handling, great acceleration. No handling quirks of some rear engine cars. Make no mistake though, they will spin, as I saw. Some minor complaints from owners on an overly active stability management system?

Got my Brey-Krause extension installed. Found a good price ($385) through PCA. Installation is straightforward, a 20 minute job that only took me an hour (first time).

Fun day.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Got my Brey-Krause extension installed. Found a good price ($385) through PCA. Installation is straightforward, a 20 minute job that only took me an hour (first time).

Fun day.

limoncello, what are these and what do they do?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #3

QUOTE- Random thought: Z06's do well at the track. Good brakes, good handling, great acceleration. No handling quirks of some rear engine cars. Make no mistake though, they will spin, as I saw. Some minor complaints from owners on an overly active stability management system?"

Hi folks, I take my Z06 to the track with DE's as well. man are they a blast! i also have the Brey-krause harness, with Sabelt 6 point belts.

You are very correct regarding Z06's not having some of the odd handling issues. The only place you can get into trouble is off-camber turns, especially going over a rise. You have to get your speed correct going in, and maintenance throttle through it. whatever do you you can't lift or yes, the rear end will get happy. This is true with the 911 as well.

i have done about 15 DE's and find that the rear end movement is very controlled, and it tells you what it's doing and there is plenty of time to recover.

Your comment about over active stability management. Some folks leave both traction control and active handling on while at the track-not a good idea. the Vette gives you several different options for stability mgt. including the aptly named "COMPETITION MODE"

Sadly, track days in this part of the country have come to an end for the year...
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #4

I have wanted to go to a track for a number of years now but understood that some safety rules required that the drivers helmeted head had to be 2 inches below a roll bar. So in a Miata I would have had to have a roll bar installed and I think I've read that the Brey-Krause extension is a roll bar extension dealy to comply with this rule on a boxster.. am I correct?? Is this a pretty universal rule? scca inspired maybe?
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 AM   #5

Brey Krause

The Brey-Krause roll bar extension

What is it: It is a bolt-on roll bar extension for the Boxster that raises the height of the roll hoops by about 2 inches, yet still allows (nearly) normal top operation. Most SCCA/PCA groups use "the broomstick test", in which a straight edge (usually a broom handle) is placed from the top of windshield to top of roll hoop/bar. I think the rule is 2" clear over helmet, but if you're under the broom by at least SOME degree or other, you're probably OK for DE. Anything beyond DE, things are rightfully more strict, and you need a real roll bar with back braces, etc. SCCA/PCA recognize the BK as an acceptable extension. If you're real tall, it still may not be enough - depends on the person measuring.

How to find one: Google "Brey Krause", or check your regional PCA classifieds. Other BBs also have classifieds. Price new is around $650-$700, I think.

Installation: Open top. Remove 2 large bolts that hold on the side seat belt guides. Tape the top of the roll hoop so paint won't get scratched. Slide hole on extension over seat belt guide on one side. Repeat other side. Attach clamps on hoops. Replace seat belt guides. Done.

Padding: There is a padding kit available from BK. Or, Google "roll bar padding" and buy some (true) roll bar padding. Do not use air conditioning insulation from Lowe's! (It's not dense enough).

Top operation: The top will clear the extension OK, HOWEVER, you must re-latch the center latch once the top has lifted slightly. If you leave the latch hanging open as usual, it can snag the roll bar extension and get ugly. For example, if my wife takes the car out while the bar is on, I would put the top down for her.

Hope this helps -

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote