View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
limoncello

Brey Krause

The Brey-Krause roll bar extension

What is it: It is a bolt-on roll bar extension for the Boxster that raises the height of the roll hoops by about 2 inches, yet still allows (nearly) normal top operation. Most SCCA/PCA groups use "the broomstick test", in which a straight edge (usually a broom handle) is placed from the top of windshield to top of roll hoop/bar. I think the rule is 2" clear over helmet, but if you're under the broom by at least SOME degree or other, you're probably OK for DE. Anything beyond DE, things are rightfully more strict, and you need a real roll bar with back braces, etc. SCCA/PCA recognize the BK as an acceptable extension. If you're real tall, it still may not be enough - depends on the person measuring.

How to find one: Google "Brey Krause", or check your regional PCA classifieds. Other BBs also have classifieds. Price new is around $650-$700, I think.

Installation: Open top. Remove 2 large bolts that hold on the side seat belt guides. Tape the top of the roll hoop so paint won't get scratched. Slide hole on extension over seat belt guide on one side. Repeat other side. Attach clamps on hoops. Replace seat belt guides. Done.

Padding: There is a padding kit available from BK. Or, Google "roll bar padding" and buy some (true) roll bar padding. Do not use air conditioning insulation from Lowe's! (It's not dense enough).

Top operation: The top will clear the extension OK, HOWEVER, you must re-latch the center latch once the top has lifted slightly. If you leave the latch hanging open as usual, it can snag the roll bar extension and get ugly. For example, if my wife takes the car out while the bar is on, I would put the top down for her.

Hope this helps -
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote