Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #1

Boxster wrecked

The attached pictures do not tell the whole story. I was in the left lane of a 4 lane (2 in each direction) road going west, the car that hit me was travelling east. She crossed the centerline about 50 - 75 feet in front of me. I swerved to the right but she bore right into me. I had been going about 45, but was swerving and applying brakes so certainly was slower at impact. I must have shifted into neutral at some point because the car was out of gear when I came to rest. Or maybe the impact popped it out of gear. Airbags did NOT deploy.

The other car ended up doing a 180 and came to rest about 100 feet to the west and on the other side of the road. It was a miracle that no one else hit her as she was rolling slowly across the lanes of traffic. Luckily both my wife and I appeared to be unhurt; no cuts or broken bones. However, she was complaining of neck and back pain so the EMT's recommended that she go to the hospital. The police officer took my info, called AAA for me and I went off with my wife in the ambulance. (I know I broke all the "insurance rules" and left my car and the scene without getting all of the other drivers information, but, as much as I love my car, there is nothing on this earth that is more important than my wife.)

Luckily, x-rays were negative. We are both sore and still a bit shaken, but the wonder of percoset is taking the edge off for now. The police office called me last night at 3:00 to let me know where the car was (I took the pictures this morning through the fence of the lot). He also informed me that the other driver was ok, did not speak english, was not under the influence, did have insurance (hooray) and is apparently just a very bad driver. Her airbags did deploy. Luckily several witnesses testified to the fact that she indeed crossed the centerline, although the skid from her car (which only started at impact) clearly indicated where she hit me.

A couple of thoughts. First, this was not a low impact collision. Yet it is clear that while the car is damaged, it took the brunt of impact quite well. My top was down at the time and the officer recommended that I put it back up (which, in my shaken condition, I did, although I probably shouldn't have). The top operated smoothly and lined up perfectly. Moreover, in the cockpit, the only indication that something was amiss was a cd case that shattered. And most importantly, my wife and I suffered no external injuries. Frankly, given the speed and angle of the impact, I would have expected alot more damage, both to the car and to us. Kudos to the structual safety design of the car. However, I am a bit concerned that the airbags did not deploy.

Finally, I still am trying to work out the physics of the accident. She hit me head on from her perspective. Yet somehow her car spun and headed back in a southwesterly direction. I just don't understand how that could have happened.

Anyway, I now await the call from my adjuster. I will push to declare it totaled. I cannot believe that the frame is not out of alignment (despite the top aligning) and the front axle looks to have severe damage, not to mention the entire front end, suspension, etc.... Clearly the car will never be the same. Any advice on the insurance front will certainly be appreciated.

ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
This is sad news,but hopefully you will find some good new in it(your Boxster is declared totaled and you buy a newer one). Keep your head up,there are better days.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
bmussatti

ranbar2:

Wow, very sorry for you. That's a great looking car! What color?

I hope you and your wife are OK, and continue to be so in a few days, after the shock wears off. Cars can be replaced, not health and life-long friends/mates!

There is an excellent thread from fefyfo titled "The worst thing that....." in the General Discussion menu. It was posted last week. Go read it, there is some excellent insurance advice there from some of our most respected forum members.

Wishing you good health and recovery!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #4

Hi,

As mentioned, things are replaceable - people are not! Despite your misfortune, I am glad you and your wife are OK, that is the most important thing. Best of Luck getting the Claim settled fairly and promptly...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #5

Glad everyone is OK.
My wife was in an accident a year or so back - truck ran into the back of our Chryslet Town & Country. If it had been the Miata, it would have been a fatality since the trucks higher bumber would have gone right over the Miata's low trunk.
Couple of thoughts -my wife went to the hospital and was X-rayed, declared OK. She had bruises on her legs and a stiff neck. The neck worked itself out with flexeril and a good physical therapist - thank goodness, necks are easily damaged. The bruises/knots in her legs took more than six weeks to go away. They left a slight brownish discoloration - no big deal unless you're female. Got retail for the car, got all med bills plus some pain & suffering. Could NOT get anything for the discoloration because the doc would not write a statement to the effect that the brown was permanent ("It may go away someday, it's hard to tell these things"). Year and a half later the discoloration is still there. Got a new doc now.
Advice - if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of accident claims, find someone who is. The other person's insurance co. will not give you what you deserve unless you ask for it. Avoid the ambulance chasing lawyers - you don't need a shyster, just someone who knows the rules.
You should get retail for the Boxster. Get Kelley Blue Book and NADA (and any others you can find) values off the 'net. I gave copies to their adjuster and got a thousand more than they were offering (they will offer the lower figure of the various sources, of course).
Your medical insurance should cover the med bills. Your medical insurance is your affair, though, and the other person's auto insuance still has to pay all med bills. Now you add the retail value paid with the med payment, and go for an upgrade on your new car. You deserve it.
Good luck, hope everything turns out well.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #6

Just three days ago I was speaking to my insurance agent about medical payoffs by insurance companies and he said not to do it if I was in an accident and it wasn't my fault. He said that three years down the road when you have horrible neck or back problems that are persistent and can be linked to the accident, you can get them to pay the medical bills.

If you settle that's it. Your future medical bills are all your own.

Just a thought. Take it or leave it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 AM   #7

A salient point, Randall. I was hit broadside about 15 years ago and suffered some upper neck injuries. Physical therapy at the time provided some relief and I was told nothing more could be done short of surgery. Five years later, while lifting something heavy, the pain in my neck reappeared but with a great deal more severity. Of course by then, I had settled with my insurance company. I still get epidural injections each year to ease the pain.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:57 AM   #8

Angry

Well, I just got a call from my insurance company. The rep said that the adjuster has not actually inspected the car yet but does not believe it is a total loss, partly because the airbags did not deploy and also because it is front end damage and it is a rear wheel car. She went on to say that the adjuster told her that he has been in the business a long time and knows what he is doing. No ****************, that is exactly what she said. Now they want to tow it to my repairer of choice (dealer$$$) so the adjuster can inspect the car there and then they can do a tear down and get a supplemental damage estimate. I told the rep I would not authorize having it moved until the adjuster had actually SEEN the damage, which, after putting me on hold and talking to the adjuster, she agreed to do.

Here's some better pics of the damage. Notice that the wheel is pushed towards the rear at least 4". That to me means at the very least wheel, brake, tires, suspension, coolant system, left front fender, driver's side door, hood, bumper, headlights and possibly the frame. And who knows what effect it had on the rest of the car? Anyone think that the bill to make this good as new will be below the percentage of cost to declare it a total loss?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:26 AM   #9

Update: Just got off the phone with the actual adjuster. He said it's not even close to being a total. His initial estimate is $11K. USAA wants 80% of value (~26K) before they declare a total loss. His comment was that it looks worse than it is and that it is nothing but a volkswagon underneath.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
What do you mean by its nothing but a Volkswagen underneath?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #11

At the initial view it does NOT look even close to a total loss. I wouldn't worry about the body being out of alignment. Time to focus on the positives:

--Looks like you need a 99 GT3 Bumper!!!!!

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbar2
Update: Just got off the phone with the actual adjuster. He said it's not even close to being a total. His initial estimate is $11K. USAA wants 80% of value (~26K) before they declare a total loss. His comment was that it looks worse than it is and that it is nothing but a volkswagon underneath.

First off I would stop worrying about the reporting of the car and leaving the car. You did the correct thing of taking care of your wife. The car is a material thing and fixable. I hope nothing happened to your wife and she will get over the accident with a speedy and full recovery. A couple of feet to the right of the point of impact and maybe both would not be around at all. The adjusters comment is something I don't understand and comprehend that underneath there are all vw's. Only thing I can figure about a statement like that it was a veiled attempt at sophomoric humor. Ignore the jerk and be thankful nothing bad happened to you and your wife.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #13

Pilot, thank you for the sentiments about my wife. She is indeed doing ok, just sore (like I am) and a few bruises. I know what you mean about a foot to the right...I saw those headlights coming right into me and thought I was a goner.

As for the damage, last year I had a woman in a pickup back up and ram her towball into my hood. Had to replace the bumper cover, hood and one headlight (it was slightly cracked), along with paint. Total cost: $3500. Now I have much more substantial damage, both in amount and to the pieces damaged. Wheel, brake, tire, fender, suspension, control arm, radiators, condenser, fender, door etc. And that is just the visible stuff. Plus, who knows how the impact affected the rest of the car.

One piece of good news is that I can put in a claim for dimished value. Also, if I get it repaired at a USAA approved shop they guarantee all work for life, and it is transferable. So I can discount the repaired car by the diminished value amount and give a subsequent purchaser a lifetime warranty on the repairs.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #14

damn man, sorry to hear about your problem. Still though, seems like you have your priorities in order. Wife > Box. This sucks but I am sure it will all work out. It always does...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:35 AM   #15

Thumbs down USAA insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbar2
I'll be reviewing my USAA membership this afternoon. Please keep this info flowing. Talk about adding insult to injury! VW indeed.

And let me add sympathy for your loss. Guess that's something we all dread. As others said, glad everyone okay. Good luck.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mike

70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote