Thread: Boxster wrecked
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
limoncello

Glad everyone is OK.
My wife was in an accident a year or so back - truck ran into the back of our Chryslet Town & Country. If it had been the Miata, it would have been a fatality since the trucks higher bumber would have gone right over the Miata's low trunk.
Couple of thoughts -my wife went to the hospital and was X-rayed, declared OK. She had bruises on her legs and a stiff neck. The neck worked itself out with flexeril and a good physical therapist - thank goodness, necks are easily damaged. The bruises/knots in her legs took more than six weeks to go away. They left a slight brownish discoloration - no big deal unless you're female. Got retail for the car, got all med bills plus some pain & suffering. Could NOT get anything for the discoloration because the doc would not write a statement to the effect that the brown was permanent ("It may go away someday, it's hard to tell these things"). Year and a half later the discoloration is still there. Got a new doc now.
Advice - if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of accident claims, find someone who is. The other person's insurance co. will not give you what you deserve unless you ask for it. Avoid the ambulance chasing lawyers - you don't need a shyster, just someone who knows the rules.
You should get retail for the Boxster. Get Kelley Blue Book and NADA (and any others you can find) values off the 'net. I gave copies to their adjuster and got a thousand more than they were offering (they will offer the lower figure of the various sources, of course).
Your medical insurance should cover the med bills. Your medical insurance is your affair, though, and the other person's auto insuance still has to pay all med bills. Now you add the retail value paid with the med payment, and go for an upgrade on your new car. You deserve it.
Good luck, hope everything turns out well.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote