Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Zaino Car Care Products

I saw unbeleiveable shiny looking Mercedes Benz today. I talked to the owner and he said he applies Zaino,1,3 and 5. Does anyone here have any comments,reviews of Zaino products?

__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house

Last edited by blinkwatt; 11-10-2005 at 08:30 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 283
Awesome stuff! Super easy to use, glass finish, I have tried all types of car care products and will never go back to anything but Zaino.
__________________
2000 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Lexus RX350
xclusivecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: auburn, al
Posts: 144
I dont have experience w/ the zaino products, but notice that all that use them have nothing but great things to say about their products. I currently still have a small amount of car treatment left and will have a tough decision to make on which products to buy afterwards. Many people seem to be happy w/ the Klasse product also. There are several informative archived articles on here for information. Post results if you decide to go w/ one of the zaino packages, or better yet contact them and work out a "group rate" for one of the packages.
__________________
1999 Arctic Silver Metallic/Graphite Grey top/ tiptronic transmission
nautiquelfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If I were to detail my car is this the correct process?
1.Wash(Meguiar's Gold Class)
2.Dry(Microfiber Drying Towel)
3.Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok
4.Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
5.Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
6.Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal
Is that the right process?
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Hi,

Zaino is all I have used for years on my Lotus Esprit, Datsun 240Z and my Boxster. Simply the best...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #6
Registered User
 
donv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NW of Boston, MA
Posts: 697
I've now used both the Zaino and Klasse products. My Boxster has been Zaino only; I applied Klasse AIO and SG on the daily driver last week after doing a PC buffing to remove swirls and scratches. As such, I can't do a 100% A/B comparison (because of the different cars/paint colors and condition) but I found the finished results for a basic job to be similar. By basic job I mean not doing massive layering, just one application of the "base" product (AIO/PolishLok) and one of the "topper" (SG/Z3 or 5).

I found them both to be easy to use - similar application and removal. The difference for me seems to be in subjective areas:
1) Zaino has way more "fragrance" than Klasse (some might call it stink - really strong chemical "fruity" smell) when applying it,
2) Zaino has a complete line that is billed as 100% compatible - so no need to wash off the detailer spray to apply another layer of finish, the soap is finish enhancing, etc. - but folks have lots of "tricks" for applying stuff over Klasse and the Klasse AIO can supposedly be used as a car wash too in low concentrations, etc.
3) Zaino has lots of other "stuff" to spend your money on... T-Shirts and Stickers you can pay for to do their advertising , etc.
4) Klasse can be obtained in many places at different prices. You can combine orders with other car care products so arguably you can save on shipping when buying other stuff. Zaino is sold from their web site only (at least in my experience to date) and there seems to be just one price and shipping cost as a consequence.

The two product lines are roughly the same cost (at least on a per ounce and frequency of practical use basis). They may specify different application rates but in practical terms you end up using just as much of each for an application (you'd need to be using a pipette to "measure" the fractions of an ounce you add to the applicator as you go along, otherwise).

I have no way yet to talk to the relative durability of each, but in many ways I think this is a moot point - I don't think anyone that cares about their car's finish will wait for the product to fail before reapplying it. Most likely you're going to put more on in a few weeks or months and that will be well within the time of it stopping providing protection.

So bottom line, I think this will boil down to a religious argument. There will be adherents to each product and appearance preferences but no truly "scientific" way that will be accepted by all to figure out which is "the one". The good news is they are both great options for folks that like a good look and a finish that has extended protection. I heartily recommend both.
__________________
2001 Lapis/Black/Black, PSM, Rear Speaker Kit, Optima...
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
I've now used both the Zaino and Klasse products. My Boxster has been Zaino only; I applied Klasse AIO and SG on the daily driver last week after doing a PC buffing to remove swirls and scratches. As such, I can't do a 100% A/B comparison (because of the different cars/paint colors and condition) but I found the finished results for a basic job to be similar. By basic job I mean not doing massive layering, just one application of the "base" product (AIO/PolishLok) and one of the "topper" (SG/Z3 or 5).

I found them both to be easy to use - similar application and removal. The difference for me seems to be in subjective areas:
1) Zaino has way more "fragrance" than Klasse (some might call it stink - really strong chemical "fruity" smell) when applying it,
2) Zaino has a complete line that is billed as 100% compatible - so no need to wash off the detailer spray to apply another layer of finish, the soap is finish enhancing, etc. - but folks have lots of "tricks" for applying stuff over Klasse and the Klasse AIO can supposedly be used as a car wash too in low concentrations, etc.
3) Zaino has lots of other "stuff" to spend your money on... T-Shirts and Stickers you can pay for to do their advertising , etc.
4) Klasse can be obtained in many places at different prices. You can combine orders with other car care products so arguably you can save on shipping when buying other stuff. Zaino is sold from their web site only (at least in my experience to date) and there seems to be just one price and shipping cost as a consequence.

The two product lines are roughly the same cost (at least on a per ounce and frequency of practical use basis). They may specify different application rates but in practical terms you end up using just as much of each for an application (you'd need to be using a pipette to "measure" the fractions of an ounce you add to the applicator as you go along, otherwise).

I have no way yet to talk to the relative durability of each, but in many ways I think this is a moot point - I don't think anyone that cares about their car's finish will wait for the product to fail before reapplying it. Most likely you're going to put more on in a few weeks or months and that will be well within the time of it stopping providing protection.

So bottom line, I think this will boil down to a religious argument. There will be adherents to each product and appearance preferences but no truly "scientific" way that will be accepted by all to figure out which is "the one". The good news is they are both great options for folks that like a good look and a finish that has extended protection. I heartily recommend both.
Hi,

You make several good points, and yes, some will say Tomato while others say Tomahto.

But, I personally know Sal Zaino and Zaino's dedication to producing good, effective products is unbelievable, he's never satisfied and is constantly developing their Products and Product Line. This guy eats and breathes Car Care.

There are several objective independent tests of Zaino against other Brands, (although I don't know of a comparison to Klasse). Zaino always comes out on top. See one here from the NSX Owners Magazine: http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
If I were to detail my car is this the correct process?
1.Wash(Meguiar's Gold Class)
2.Dry(Microfiber Drying Towel)
3.Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok
4.Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
5.Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
6.Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal
Is that the right process?

blink,

Check the Zaino site. I think they still recommend a first time wash with Dawn to get all of the wax off the car. Then (optional) clay the car. Apply Z1. Then, a couple of coats or so of Z5 until you're satisfied the swirl marks have been "chased away." Then, hit it with a coat or 2 or Z2 to make the shine super deep. Finish up with Z6 and it will sparkle. I've never used Z8.

I have done this to my daily driver, a black Miata. It shines, shines, shines. The Box got the same treatment, sans Z5.

I've used Zaino for about 5 years and gotten about a billion compliments.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If I were to use z2 would I really need the ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator?
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
adg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20
Thumbs up

ZAINO IS THE BEST

I studied a lot of products out there. Also read a lot of forums. The Corvette guys all swear by Zaino, and you know how much they like to show of their cars!

I purchased the Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit. This is an all inclusive starter kit. Well worth the money. See link below.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-1&Category_Code=Zaino


I recommend looking at all advice on thier site and then folloing instructions to the letter. Wash with Dawn first time to strip away all old wax and polish. Then clay. If you have never clayed a car before, it is amazing. The surface will be like glass.

My Box has about 15 coats of Z2 and Z5 (ZFX is a must) and it looks awsome. The depth of the paint is what really amazes people. This stuff is optically designed to bring out the best of the paint, not just shine.

I also detailed my 93 Mercedes and 01 Lexus with amazing results also. But none like my new Box. Trouble is that I dont want to take it out unless it is dry and clear. Need to get over it!

adg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
If I were to use z2 would I really need the ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator?

I have never used ZFX Flash Cure as it was "invented" after my last bulk purchase. I have only used Z1.
__________________
Zib

Last edited by Biz-z Z; 11-11-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
Registered User
 
donv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NW of Boston, MA
Posts: 697
The same NSX test was the one that got me to go Zaino first back in 2001. I've never applied anything but Zaino on the Boxster and expect it to stay that way. I remember at first there were few Zaino users around and folks told me I should go with wax to avoid "ruining" my paint with the synthetic product.

I would love to see the NSX sort of test done again, but including Klasse (and maybe Rejex) so there would be more than one synthetic coating being compared. If someone wants to donate a mint condition Boxster hood panel as a test mule, I'll run the test in my backyard - a full four season environment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
There are several objective independent tests of Zaino against other Brands, (although I don't know of a comparison to Klasse). Zaino always comes out on top. See one here from the NSX Owners Magazine: http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
__________________
2001 Lapis/Black/Black, PSM, Rear Speaker Kit, Optima...
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I saw unbeleiveable shiny looking Mercedes Benz today. I talked to the owner and he said he applies Zaino,1,3 and 5. Does anyone here have any comments,reviews of Zaino products?
I use it all the time on my benz and lex. It is great stuff!
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 283
1 last day of 50+ degree weather here in Chicago and decided to Zaino the car for the winter. Total time for Wash with Dawn, dry the car, wax using ZFX, buff out by hand, and a bit of detail work.....under 2 hours! The car looks like its under a puddle of water, very glossy and "wet" looking! Now to get the fruity smell off my hands!
__________________
2000 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Lexus RX350
xclusivecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:01 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg
ZAINO IS THE BEST

I studied a lot of products out there. Also read a lot of forums. The Corvette guys all swear by Zaino, and you know how much they like to show of their cars!

I purchased the Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit. This is an all inclusive starter kit. Well worth the money. See link below.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-1&Category_Code=Zaino
Thanks for link and advice. I admit I'd never heard of it. PCA gurus mostly push P21S. Think I'll have to try this stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,mike
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #16
adg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20
Take a look.......My baby has abuot 15 coats of Zaino....

Hope you can appreciat from picture
adg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 47
I have used Zaino for about a decade. Sal knows what he's doing with this stuff for sure. I rencently used their new Z-2 pro and Z-8 QD formulations....very good.

I use Zaino on my silver and blue cars...

The original poster mentioned Zaino 1,3 and 5. Be careful here. Z-3 is for NON-CLEARCOATED cars. not for use on your Boxster. Z-1 is their original prep. layer for the wax. They now have ZFX that you mix in with the Z-2 pro(for clear coated finishes), which eliminates the need to use Z-1. Z-5 is their swirl eliminating wax. I used it years ago. The results were a big goose egg. I have just never been able to remove swirls without using a random orbital.

HOWEVER.....now that we have a RED boxster, there are products that work much better for RED than Zaino in my opinion.

Someone mentioned Kalsse AIO-fantastic stuff.

I have latched on to Wolfgang's paint sealant followed by a topper of Souveran. Oh man, if you have a black or red car, you have to try this combo. Nothing compares IMO for deepness of shine and the incredible wet look we all strive for.

Klasse AIO with a Souveran topper is fabulous as well. There is just nothing like carnauba to make red and black look their best, IMO.

My detailing process:

1. Wash with Dawn to remove all environmental garbage and strip the current wax(learned this from Sal Zaino-he is the man....).
2. clay with Zaino claybar, using Z-6 spray as a lube.

IF I have swirls, I apply Pinnacle's swirl remover with a Porter Cable and orange cutting pad.

3. Wolfgang's pre-wax prep applied with a Porter Cable 7424 and white mild cutting pad. If you don't have a PC, you have not detailed your car yet!! Get one, you will wonder how you ever survived this long without it. The results are astounding.
4. Wolfgang's paint sealant applied with a PC 7424 and white pad. removed by microfiber mitt attached to PC 7424. You know have the UV and environmental paint protection you need.
5. Top off with a layer of Souveran wax by hand. removed immediately with a microfiber cloth
6. between waxes, I apply Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD spray. continues to add wax to the finish and makes it look just waxed all the time!
__________________
2002 Boxster S-Guards Red
2004 Corvette Z06-non stock track star
2004 Cayenne S-daily driver
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Holland
Posts: 140
Zaino is the best

Did my m3 in July this year. Today I just washed it. It looks better then new.
BoxsterS was up today for its yearly full zaino treatment. Lots of work but Zaino is the best.

Also use Meguiars which is rather good as well, but Zaino shines deeper and lasts longer. Meguiars is a good second for me. Both Meguiars and Zaino are WAY better than the useal Turtle Wax / Sonax stuff at the local Halfords.


Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SE USA
Posts: 36
I have 50+ layers on my Z33 and 10+ on the g/f's Atlas Gray Boxster. He's the protocol I follow.





Bare minimum Zaino products:

z-6 (two bottles)
z-2 (one bottle)
z-5 (one bottle)
zfx (one bottle)

You can use any mild carwash but Zaino Z-7 is best.
It is pH balanced and cleans very nicely without removing any of your Zaino polish.

Also nice to have but not essential are the Zaino Tire Dressing (Z-16) and the
Claybar (Z-18). Zaino makes a nice leather seat product, a plastic cleaner, a glass polish and several other non-essential products.

Here are the initail steps of the Zaino process (at least how I do them).

-Wash the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Use a non-scratching wash mit. I use a micro-fiber mit. Make sure it is completely free of dirt and debris. Make sure your bucket is completely clean too.
(edit: you can also use two wash buckets with a grit guard...one with clean water for rinsing the mit and another containing the suds..credit to jinxxycat)

-Rinse. After you are done rinsing with your spray nozzle, remove the nozzle and
rinse tha car with the stream of water from the hose only (no nozzle, no thumb over the hose). Use the gentle stream of water to "push" off the beads of water.
This is a neat trick that will decrease your drying time significantly!

-Clay the car with a solution of Z-7 and water. A quart of water and a cap ful of Z-7 should do it. Use a clean spray bottle and do small sections at a time. Make sure the clay glides over the paint easliy and does not stick. If it does, spray on more lubricating solution! Continue to knead the clay to keep a clean, fresh surface against the paint. DO NOT DROP the clay! If you do, discard that bar and get another.

-Wash with Zaino Z-7 car wash. Do the tires and wheels first and then use a separate bucket of suds to finish the rest of the car.

-Rinse as above.

-Dry the car with a microfiber towel. I prefer the waffle weave microfiber towels. I like to use a shop vac to suck out the drops of water in tight areas that you can't get with the towels. Make sure you do not touch the paint with the vacuum hose.
(edit: you can also use compresed air or a leaf blower to remove water from the door handles, emblems, around lug nuts and side view mirrors)

-Do a Z-6 misting. It is just like using Windex on glass. Just spray on a light mist of Z-6 detailing spray and wipe it off (in). You do not let it dry, just take it right off. I use the Z-6 on all of the glass as well. It cleans well and rain zips right off.

-Apply your first layer of Z-5 polish. You can add 2 to 4 drops of ZFX "flash cure" accelerator to ONE OUNCE of polish. If you do this the drying time will be decreased to one hour or less depending on the temperature and humidity. I use 2 drops if it is very hot and dry and 4 when it is colder and humid. I recommend applying Zaino polish in the shade, but it will work fine in the sun as well. It will just dry alot faster. Take note that the small mixing bottles you get from Zaino are TWO OUNCE bottles, so you only fill them way up (one ounce). This amount will do the entire car easily. In fact , if you apply the polish in thin enough layers (and thin is the best way to apply it), you can get two layers on the car with one ounce. Zaino should not look like wax on a car. In other words, it should not look hazy and white. It should look like the paint is only a little blurry. If it looks the least bit white, you've applied too much.
(edit: I use a dime sized drop of polish per quarter panel)

Another method is to not use the ZFX and just apply the polish to the paint. This is fine but it will take 6-8 hours to cure and limit the number of layers you can get done during each detailing session. I often apply two layers with the ZFX, and the third one without. I apply the final layer and let the car sit in the garage overnight, then buff it out the next day. You can tell if the polish is ready to be removed if when you smudge it lightly with your finger, ALL of the polish comes off and you see a very shiney surface. If it is the least bit blurry it is not ready.

The polish goes on with the applicator Zaino sends you. I like to slightly dampen it first with water. This helps the polish go on smoother and more evenly. I recommend side to side straight line applications on the horizontal surfaces of the car (hood, roof), and up and down straight lines on the vertical surfaces (doors & quarter panels). Do not use a circular motion to lessen the chance of swirl marks and scratches.

-Buff off the polish with a microfiber towel.

-Another misting of Z-6.

-Repeat another layer of Z-5 (with or without ZFX)

-Buff off

-Another misting of Z-6

-Final layer using Z-2 this time (with or without ZFX)

-Buff off

-Final misting of Z-6

This is my method. You don't HAVE to do all three layers nor do you HAVE to do all of the prep work (Dawn & Claybar), but the results will be much better if you do. Many feel that the Zaino process is too complicated and involved and want to use "easier" products. It is important to realize that the prep process is NOT exclusive to Zaino. It should be done with ANY product for the best results. Also, you do not need to apply three layers or even two for that matter. If you want to do just one, go for it!

For maintenance all you need to do is wash with the Z-7 and mist with the Z-6 after drying. This will be enough to keep your ride looking great between your BIG detailing sessions.

Good Luck!

The Doc

The protocol posted here was originally posted by Dr. Bonz in another forum. I have attempted to recreate it here to assist first time Zaino users.
KShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:05 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10
Thumbs up Zaino

A few years back I brought some Zaino into Australia due to all the good reviews I had read about it. Over the years I have used Zaino on my Audi S3, S2000 and now on my Boxster, the stuff is amazing.

Teal_BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page