Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 11:41 AM   #1

speaker size on boxster

I have a 1998 boxster and plan on upgrading the factory dash and door speakers with Focals or MB Quart. Does anyone know the exact speaker size on dash and doors?

thanks

hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #2

I believe the dash mids/tweeters are 4" and 1" respectively......The door panel speakers are 5 1/4" if I am not mistaken...

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:33 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
I have a 1998 boxster and plan on upgrading the factory dash and door speakers with Focals or MB Quart. Does anyone know the exact speaker size on dash and doors?

thanks

FOCALS....Right on just did that not too long ago. Tell you somethin though, NO SPEAKER fits perfectly in any of the locations. I had FOCAL 5WS in the doors and FOCAL K2 4" woofer and 1" tweeter in the dash.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #4

I had FOCAL 5WS in the doors and FOCAL K2 4" woofer and 1" tweeter in the dash.

Similar to what I run......I've got the v100's in the dash(mids/tweeters), and the 5WS in the doors.....

Lou

oil change and filter
brakes bled and refilled
Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
I had FOCAL 5WS in the doors and FOCAL K2 4" woofer and 1" tweeter in the dash.

Similar to what I run......I've got the v100's in the dash(mids/tweeters), and the 5WS in the doors.....

Lou
Bigislandboxster,

Who did your install? And just courious how much the 5ws ran you and where did you get them?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #6

I had Car Audio Innovations in California do the mounting of the speakers in the dash.....They had to use a custom surround and mount on the dash speakers using the existing stock grilles. The 5WS I mounted myself, fit pretty easily. Added a Nakamichi CD400 head unit and a Audison 4 channel amp in the front trunk. Did all the work ('cept the dash speakers) myself with some instructions.....Was quite the learning experience!
The dash speakers I think were $279 a pair, the subs I THINK were slightly higher, around $350?

Sounds great now!

Lou

oil change and filter
brakes bled and refilled
Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
I had Car Audio Innovations in California do the mounting of the speakers in the dash.....They had to use a custom surround and mount on the dash speakers using the existing stock grilles. The 5WS I mounted myself, fit pretty easily. Added a Nakamichi CD400 head unit and a Audison 4 channel amp in the front trunk. Did all the work ('cept the dash speakers) myself with some instructions.....Was quite the learning experience!
The dash speakers I think were $279 a pair, the subs I THINK were slightly higher, around $350?

Sounds great now!

Lou

I thought so, CAR AUDIO INNOVATIONS....I met up with Rod(the owner) while he was in so cal on a trip before i did my system myself. He got me on the 5ws in the doors i wasnt gonna do it but he sold me on it.

How do you like the way they sound in the doors?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 AM   #8

firewall holes.

i plan on installing this stereo/amp/speaker setup tommorrow, Does anyone know where the firewall is that goes from the front trunk to the inside of the car? I know i can follow the stereo wires from stock amp to stock radio, but i need to run a power wire to my subwoofer inside my car. I would like to use separate holes for power and signal to reduce unwanted sound.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
i plan on installing this stereo/amp/speaker setup tommorrow, Does anyone know where the firewall is that goes from the front trunk to the inside of the car? I know i can follow the stereo wires from stock amp to stock radio, but i need to run a power wire to my subwoofer inside my car. I would like to use separate holes for power and signal to reduce unwanted sound.
Where are you mounting the amp? If in the trunk why do u need power wires running into the car at all? What type of subwoofer setup are you doing?

Anyway, there is a small opening in the left side (if your facing your car) of the battery. That is were i ran all my wiring....Using a cloth hanger to fish the wires works real well, the opening from the top does not match the bottom exactly but it works. Its a real tight fit but i was able to run 3 sets of rca cables, and the brain wiring to my navi unit. The hold is probably less than 2" in diameter.

Let me know if i can be of more help. Just recently did my install and remember it quite well.

~James~
Old 11-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #10

i'm running this sub and putting it behind the passenger seat, it won't hit hard but from what the reviews say on the net, it will give you nice clear lows.

i'm going to upgrade the amp with a 4 channel alpine,
all speakers with boston acoustics
subwoofer is the ksc sw2 kenwood
and an alpine mp3 deck.

i would've left the system alone but everytime it rains i hear a grounding noise and it bugs the hell out of me, thanks alot for your help.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #11

How do you like the way they sound in the doors?

Sorry for the late reply.....The sound in the doors is pretty good, the enclosure needs to be soundproofed and tightened up a bit to get the best response tho....
For 5+" speakers they rock pretty good!

Lou

oil change and filter
brakes bled and refilled