Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

986 rear bumper question (specifically for the 'Mericans)

i was wondering if anyone knew if there was any difference between an American spec rear bumper and a European spec rear bumper on the 986 boxster, specifically the license plate tub area.

i have looked through various ebay adverts and at members cars and there doesnt seem to be much in the way of differences between the shape on the bumpers or the tub itself.

the reason i ask is i am getting a shorter license plate for my car (UK spec) and i would like to shorten it and if possible (and if i could get my hands on a set) fit the US spec bumper guards on either side of the tub.

i have come from the VW scene and import parts are a big thing and its something i would like to keep going with my boxster!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #2

Pardon the candor, but why the !@#$& would you want to put those awful US required bumperettes on a Porsche?

A shorter plate looks quite nice with a european bumperette-free bumper cover in my not-so-humble-opinion.

Evidently, the grass is always greener on the other side of the pond, eh?

I'm sure you can pick up a pair of salvage bumperettes and affix them to your Euro bumper cover if you really want to do that. I'm just not sure why.

If you do go this route, paint them to match your car's exterior paint color. The unfinished black ones are nasty.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Of course, cute Japanese girls in school girl outfit and all.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #4

You're mental.

The bumperettes look ****************. The Ynaks would love to lose them and you want to put a set on? You crazy mofo.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #5

for you guys those bumperettes are awful and you want rid of them for a more "euro" smooth look.

as said i come from a vw background and trading parts cross continent is how its done, its just one of those things. for us in europe making our cars look american is how we do it... when i had my old mk5 golf i smoothed off the front license plate recess, thus making it look more like a US car. then i was always on forums where american guys would put long pressed metal euro plates on their car to make it look more like a european car. different strokes for different folks. you always want, what someone else has...

plus i assumed i could pick up a set cheap since all you guys want to do is get rid of them :P

Last edited by koosh; 12-20-2012 at 02:24 PM.
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

Garage
only got as far as "different stroked"
Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #7

I get the making it look American thing. But surely there's got to be a limit?

The bumperettes are awful.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

From New York. The bumper warts are terrible! I hate mine.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Pardon the candor, but why the !@#$& would you want to put those awful US required bumperettes on a Porsche?

A shorter plate looks quite nice with a european bumperette-free bumper cover in my not-so-humble-opinion.

I'm sure you can pick up a pair of salvage bumperettes and affix them to your Euro bumper cover if you really want to do that. I'm just not sure why.

If you do go this route, paint them to match your car's exterior paint color. The unfinished black ones are nasty.
Randall, "Why the !@#$&" Shame on you at Christmas time.... Merry Christmas, Randall

milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote