Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

New owner, new questions

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2000 Boxster S, with about 68k miles; Black metallic over Boxster Red. Anyway, my first mod is the GT3 console delete, as I'm about 6'4". I successfully installed the piece, but I have encountered a seemingly un-related problem.

The car has been sitting for a week or so, and when I took it on the initial test drive after the console delete, I could not get the rpms to go over 1800. What did I do? I can't imagine how the console could be connected to this, but I will defer to the experts. Thanks in advance.

Alan

Black Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

Did you get a check engine light because that sounds very strange.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

Congrats on the new Boxster. Great color combo!

At any time during the console delete, did you disconnect the battery? All the connections under the seats OK?

Only other thing to check on would be the MAF sonsor.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

No check engine light. The engine runs absolutely perfectly. It's almost as if the gas pedal isn't working. In neutral, I can put the pedal to the floor, and it will go to about 1600 - 1800 rpm. The battery was disconnected during the entire console delete process. I DID re-connect and disconnect the battery several times during a window regulator replacement at the same time. Never removed the seats.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Rob Vine

Garage
Well done, i hope that you get plenty of enjoyment from your Boxster. I recently purchased 2004 S.
It is a great car, with an amazing sound track, I am also well over 6" so I will watch this thread with interest.
Must say this forum has been very useful when looking for which car to purchase.
I would like to start a thread or two but haven't found the new thread icon yet!!!
If any body could advise how to start a thread I will post one over the weekend.

Rob

2004 Boxster S
Ducati 749S
1993 928GTS sold
Robsducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #6

So does the engine rev past 1800 and the tachometer does not read it. Or is it that it bounces at 1800. If it was the MAF there would be a check engine light.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsducati View Post
Well done, i hope that you get plenty of enjoyment from your Boxster. I recently purchased 2004 S.
It is a great car, with an amazing sound track, I am also well over 6" so I will watch this thread with interest.
Must say this forum has been very useful when looking for which car to purchase.
I would like to start a thread or two but haven't found the new thread icon yet!!!
If any body could advise how to start a thread I will post one over the weekend.

Rob

Right under the forum tools section is new thread to the right of the screen. Hope this helps Rob

Last edited by Bmod986; 01-03-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #8

The tach appears to read what the engine is doing. The CEL light is not burnt out, as it turns on when I turn the car on. I start the car, press the gas pedal, the car "whines" as the tach increases to about 1800 rpm. I can hold it there by keeping the gas pedal to the floor.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #9

Well it seems that your revs are being limited if the engine stopes revving higher then the 1800. I don't know what the cause would be but try getting an obd to check it out, see if it throws any codes. Are there any stutters from the engine, while at idle? Like Flavor said check the MAF. Sorry I could not give a concreate solution but what you described is very unusual.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Your car may have to re-learn the ECU programme after you disconnected the battery.
I could be wrong but try this:

1) switch on the ignition (so all lights come up on dash) but DON'T start engine. 2) leave ignition in this mode for about 90 seconds. 3) switch off ignition (with key still in ignition switch) for about 30 seconds. 4) start car.
If this doesn't work, you will have to go over the jobs you have just done to make sure you havn't missed something....
Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Most chances Steve is right.
Your TB is out of sinc.
There is nothing located at the console that can cause this issue.
Unless you blown a fuse during your job ( which I doubt ), but I'm sure you already checked all fuses.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #12

Thanks, Steve. I've tried that, but I don't hear the throttle motor clicking when I do it. I have read that the air temp must be above 40 or so degrees. It's only 30 here in KS right now. I guess I'll have to run the heater for a while tomorrow and try again. In addition, are there any specific fuses that might have blown when I re-connected the battery? I checked several that I thought might affect it, but have not found a busted one yet.

I guess I'll have to disassemble everything again tomorrow, and see if I accidentally disconnected something somewhere.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #13

This sounds like you could have a problem where the engine is in limp home mode.

"986 S problem at idle, engine won't rev and shakes, battery disconnected"

The above post from earlier this year (do a search) which turned out to be bad fuel and / or setting the engine ECU with less than 30% full fuel tank.

Hope this helps.....
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #14

Have you verified that nothing from you're recent work is jammed behind the peddle?

My 02 S sat with the battery unplugged for 2.5 months and fired right up. The ECU may have needed to relearn some things, but not how to read the position of the throttle body...that's what the TPS is for.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #15

Well, I guess I have confirmed that it is the MAF sensor. I unplugged it, and it revs perfectly fine. It doesn't run president well, but it does review properly. I have tried to clean it without success, but the test is repeatable. At least it's an easy fix. Anybody want to give me one
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #16

Pelican parts has it for $261.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #17

My VIN is WP0CB2987YU660858. Does that mean that I need the 124 part or the 125 part?