Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #21

Talking

I might be able to help here.

Check your paperwork and see if there is any evidence that the seller provided a warranty of any kind.

Specifically, there should be a Federal Buyers Guide that came with the car and that you signed. Does it indicate a warranty of any kind?

If so, that is enforceable.

If not, you are likely screwed, esp if you signed a document that indicates the car is sold "as-is."

How is it that the warranty company has establised that the car was sold with a bad RMS? Did they do an inspection and note that as preexisting?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #22

Good point, Richard!

If the extended warranty people didn't do a PPI inspection or have you supply one to them prior to warranting the car, you can easily have your lawyer call them to pressure them into abiding by their contract with you or giving you a full refund of your money so you can get on with your life (and use the cash for these needed repairs)
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #23

extended warranty!

Sorry to hear your having problems with your 97 boxster one month into your ownership.
Just my 2 cents when I shop for extender warranty, filling a claim a month after buying an extended warranty is not a very wise move, they have a pre-existing condition clause! You gotta put few thousand miles on the car or wait six months to file a claim or Any extended warranty service would not approved a claim a month into the car cause it would be pre-existing condition.
pilyo bxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #24

Success story

I brought my 2000 a month ago. I had a PPI completed, and it was noted that CEL had been recently reset (very thorough inspection - inspector noted that the drive cycles had not been completed!). I had written into the sales contract that if the CEL came on within 1 month or 1000 miles, the seller would be responsible for the bill. Sure enough - drove it for 40 miles, and the light came on. Took it to an independent service shop (2 blocks up the road!), they checked codes and it was the MAS. Total job was around $600 (vs $800 - $1000 at the dealer). Called the seller, we discussed amicably, and he agreed reimbursement. Of course, the proof is in receiving the check..... I got it today!! Big ups to the dealer... now if only I could get my title (its on the way...).

Lessons - $150 for a PPI is money well spent. Any agreements get written and signatured by both parties. And if something does go wrong, politeness goes a long way!!
kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #25

early Boxster issues

Going back to the original thread and the problems that were highlighted,
my local Porsche garage in Melbourne told me when I bought my '98 Boxster, that there are typically three things that go wrong with them.

1. A few early models needed an engine replacement (mine has a new one)
2. The MAF sensor goes (mine went earlier this year)
3. The cables for the hood break (mine broke earlier this year)

So far so good. It's been driving like an absolute dream ever since. Once I put my new Continental SportContact2 tires on the rears, the handling has been fantastic. I'm gonna replace the front's after Christmas too.

In summary, if you are in the market for an early Boxster, look out for these three items, and factor them into your buy price and cost of ownership.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:08 AM   #26

Sage Advice!

"Lessons - $150 for a PPI is money well spent. Any agreements get written and signatured by both parties. And if something does go wrong, politeness goes a long way!!"
Old 11-10-2005, 06:11 AM   #27

Other favorites include Rear Main Seal, other gaskets like Cam Covers, Tires (amazing how many buyers don't even look at these) Batteries, Wheel Bearings, Starters, O2 sensors.

All CAN be picked up with a good PPI.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglsteven
my local Porsche garage in Melbourne told me when I bought my '98 Boxster, that there are typically three things that go wrong with them.

So far so good. It's been driving like an absolute dream ever since. Once I put my new Continental SportContact2 tires on the rears, the handling has been fantastic. I'm gonna replace the front's after Christmas too.

In summary, if you are in the market for an early Boxster, look out for these three items, and factor them into your buy price and cost of ownership.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #28

Engine Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglsteven

I expereinced almost all typical problem like RMS, MAF, top ...etc. It seems like the next thing gonna happen is engine dead. What is the odd to survive? Any 97/98 Box owners don't need to replace their engine here? Should I get ready for my engine to die? There are 36K miles on my engine, how much life my engine should have? After I read this thread, I felt like my car was diagnosed cancer or something.
97Boxsterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Boxsterian
I expereinced almost all typical problem like RMS, MAF, top ...etc. It seems like the next thing gonna happen is engine dead. What is the odd to survive? Any 97/98 Box owners don't need to replace their engine here? Should I get ready for my engine to die? There are 36K miles on my engine, how much life my engine should have? After I read this thread, I felt like my car was diagnosed cancer or something.
Hi,

I realize you are in a Bad Place at the moment, and I don't want to minimize your woes, but obsessing about everything which could (but Hasn't) go/gone wrong with your Car won't solve anything and will just make you crazy!

Concentrate on the issues at hand and keep an eye toward the end of the proverbial Tunnel. You'll be much happier with your Car on the BackSide of all this I guarantee you! Best of Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #30

I am still stuck!! Need advice.

It has been 8 months since my last post. My box has been in the repair shop since November last year My problem is not only buying a used car without PPI, but also chose the worst mechanic. It took him 3 months to fix the RMS leak, and blew the head gasket while he fix the coolant leak. He didn't fix the coolant leak correctly and creat bubble in the host and end up blew the head gasket in February. Since February till now, he is still fixing the engine. I doubt if the engine is fixable. He said he brought the engine to the machine shop clean up the mess that the broken gasket created, and then the engine had problem about the cam timing, need to fix the bolts...etc. I consulted other Porsche mechanics and they suggest me to replace the engine and they quote me $10k to $12K for an used engine from Porshe and installation. I think it is kind of high. I thought an used engine cost should be about the blue book value of the car minus $10K. Anyone has any idea? Should I sue him now and let the judgement order him to replace the engine for me at his expense? or Should I tow my car to somewhere else and pay for the engine replacement and come back sue him for the $ I spent?

Thanks in advance.
97Boxsterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #31

Hi,

I am truly sorry for all your problems, but looking for advice here isn't you best bet. I would immediately get involved with some of the local PCA Chapter guys and/or fellow Boxster owners here (but living in your location) and enlist their help, they may cut your learning curve before some expensive mistakes are made further.

Then you can decide a definite course of action. I know this isn't much help, but it's the best advice I can give...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #32

" I consulted other Porsche mechanics and they suggest me to replace the engine and they quote me $10k to $12K for an used engine from Porshe and installation. I think it is kind of high."

Other posts regarding engine replacement indicate the $10 - $12,000 is about right for an installed replacement engine from Porsche. There is some disagreemnt about how much of a replacement engine is actually composed of new parts and how much is composed of rebuilt or otherwise recycled used components. I would be surprised if you could actually get a "used" engine directly from Porsche.

Porsche dismantlers can supply used engines from wrecked cars. Cost seems to be about half that of a replacement engine from Porsche.

I don't understand your statement regarding replacement engine cost related to blue book value of the car. The two have no relationship to one another. The cost of a replacement engine for an 8 year old car is probably about the same as the cost for a 2 year old car, even though the blue book value of each car is considerably different.

My experience has been that independant repair shops frequently operate on the "squeaky wheel" business principle. In other words, the customer that complains the most gets his work done the fastest. Unfortunately, your situation is somewhat different in that presumably the work he is doing now is essentially "free", in that he is having to re-do it to correct a previous mistake. Therefore there is little economic motivation to get it done quickly.

It would seem to me that suing the mechanic would only guarantee that the whole deal is delayed even further. I would say however that you should be prepared to take that step if progress doesn't improve. Sometimes a conversation with a customer's lawyer can substantially improve the motivation to get the job done.

Moving the car to another shop is of course a possibility. Do you know one that is more reliable that the current one? If not, you may not be much better off, plus you will have to pay the new shop for the complete job, including the part that you have already paid to the old shop, if any.

You have truly run into a nightmare situation, with no really good solution.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote