Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Small Dings and Scratches

How many small dings and scratches do you guys have on your Boxster? Im talking about the ones you can only see from a angle in daylight. I have 1 big scratch,about a inch long, and 2 small scratches. I also have 2 small dings. Is it normal to be paranoid about these minor issues? Do you think they are worth getting taken out? I recently found one a small ding behind my passenger door side. How much does it go for to have small dings taken out?

Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #2

No dings yet thankfully *knocks wood*... but after washing my car at a place with a brush I have alot of light scratch/swirls that show up in sunlight. I'm about to put her away for the winter but i'm thinking about getting it buffed or get the diamond gloss service at Ziebart. I'm sure a lil wax will remedy it but i'm not sure if it will come back.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #3

Dings and blemishes on the paint happen to the most cautious of us. Just depends on how much they bother you as far as having them repaired goes.

If you go to autopia.org youcan learn much about lessening the apperance of scratches via DIY methods.

For dings and dents...paintless dent repair is the way to go. Check with your dealership or a highend body shop might give you a contact close by.
KShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
olly986

man the roads here in Ireland are so bad that scratches are too common, have a friend respraying my front bumper every year in average, what do I hear you are putting your car away for the winter!!
it is made to drive and drive and drive, my box is my every day drive and I love it too much to put her away and not play anymore.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #5

dings

I had a door ding taken out by a guy that does paintless dent removal and I was very pleased with the job he did. I think it was $175 per panel. I only had one to do though. It was a pretty bad one right on the wheel well edge and you can barely tell it was there and only if you look really hard.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM   #6

Dings drive me insane. My car is Black and you can see any little ding very easily.
Luckly, I run a large collision center in NJ and have a great paintless dent guy. I have had over the last 5 years and prior cars about 30 dings removed. Large, small etc.. all with great results. I like to paint as little as possible on my own cars purely because it is very difficult to reproduce high end finishes.

If you have scratches, you could find a reputable body shop and see if they can
wet sand and buff them out for you prior to considering paint work. Most shops painters will know how to completely remove or hide them so you cant see them from 1 to 2 feet away.

Cost in my area 125.00 per panel paintless dent repair. Wet sand and buffing
1 to 2 hours labor at 50.00 per hour. Small price to pay for keeping your baby looking nice!

Kindly,
Joe
01 S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #7

I'm dentless so far too. A dent would drive me bonkers! I'm pretty careful about where I park it so it stays that way.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:25 PM   #8

I have a few small scratches on the front end in the first month of driving. Hopefully the body shop fix it.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:05 AM   #9

Got a 3 inch shallow crease/fold in the passenger side rear wing.
Picked it up in a car park, guess it was someones kids gettin out of the SUV/4x4.
its just in that position to be a rear door behind the driver - you know what I mean?

Its really hard to spot.........but I know it's there!
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #10

dentless here as well

I am dentless as well..Also today I finally replaced the front windshield. There were no cracks but many chips and pits.
So as of Today, my box is as perfect as the day I bought.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #11

I have so many I quit looking for them. Drives me nuts. But I'm the 3rd owner and the second owner trashed my car.

I'm saving up the 4k to have it repainted by a reputable paint shop. Ugh.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote