Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 01:56 PM   #1

Installed the Non-Smoker Tray/Shelf/Cubby

I finally got round to installing the non-smokers tray today. I have to say that I am pleased with it, I had thought it of little benefit but overall I think it is a nice touch. It looks very similar but is actually a fair it bigger in terms of space than the interior of the ashtray.

The install is easy, lift out the ashtray unit, underneath there are two T30 screws. Note that these are plastic and go in to expanding sleeves which will lift out clipped to the tray, I was a bit puzzled when there was nothing to screw them back in to at first.

The cables come off easily enough, the small one for the light is not used, the others (in my case) are for the windows and seat heaters. They were quite conveniently white on the left and black on the right so it was easy not to mix them up. To remove the switches apply pressure from the outside (switch side) while wiggling a screwdriver between the switch and housing, they pop right out.

I haven't got the little rubber mat to go in the bottom yet, will pick one up with an order soon for some other bits. Overall I'm very pleased with it.

The picture is animated, five images as follows:

1. Ashtray in place and closed.
2. Open ashtray.
3. Ashtray removed/
4. Ashtray housing removed, wires visible.
5. Non-smoker tray installed.

ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:30 PM   #2

How much is that little kit?

It looks great! Nice job.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #3

I've seen them on eBay from $30-$70, I guess the price is similar from the dealer. If fell upon a great deal on ebay and got mine for about $8 but I need to get the little rubber mat that goes inside, that'll be a couple of dollars from the dealer.

The part number varies by color, it's called the "non-smoker shelf" I believe. Email Jeff at Sunset Imports, they should be able to sort you out.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #4

Here's one in black on ebay for $55 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-New-Porsche-996-986-Boxster-S-Black-Ashtray-Delete_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33705QQitemZ8010 625870QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW make sure whatever finish you get matches what you already have though. If you lift the ashtray unit out I think the suffix on the part number indicates the color/finish.

Cheaper at Suncoast http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=99655209601A03and99655259600&Category_Code=POTEBXIN

To match the sport design interior: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=99655209601A03and99655259600&Category_Code=POTE996IN

etc etc...!

Last edited by ukchris; 10-31-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 PM   #5

I just bought one at eagleday for 55 dollars. Should be here around mid-week. I hope it comes with the little mat.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM   #6

Hi,

I have a Brand New, never been out of the Package Rubber mat for the Non-Smokers Shelf. Make me an offer...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I have a Brand New, never been out of the Package Rubber mat for the Non-Smokers Shelf. Make me an offer...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Well they're only $7 at my local dealer so is it worth it by the time it's been mailed etc? I can certianly use it for a couple of $$, save lining Mr Dealers pockets! Please PM if you'd like to discuss.