Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #1

Cheap Fixes

I have noticed some cheap fixes for things on Boxsters. Some of them comical some of them ingenius. I though I would post a few of them and see if anyone else had more to add. These are bargain type fixes that I am sure Porsche would never recommend

Need a new plastic window for your top? How about one for $30?
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3103

"Here's a solution I used to fix my 99' I bought a roll of the window material and made my own. Here are the steps, total cost was less then 30 dollars! First you put the new material over your old window, with a sharpie marker draw an outline to the shape of your window. Next cut out the new window with scissors, you can remove the line from the sharpie marker with rubbing alcohol. Next secure the new window over the old wiwindowith double sided tape, make sure the tape is at least an inch but not too far from the edges. Next use an glue called household goop or shoe goo (same thing) this can be bought at K-mart or most hardware stores. Put a bead of the glue between the old and new window around the edges and allow to dry for atat least days! Than after you are sure the glue is dry, you just cut out the old window from the inside of your car with a scissors, leaving about 1 inch of the old window in place where the glue is. This really works mine has held up for a year now, and looks perfect. one last thing, do not try to add more glue on the inside of the window after the old window is removed, I tried to do this to make it extra secure, and stoped after a few inches due to the bead of glue not looking uniform."

Leaky coolant reservoir? How about some $10 JB Weld?
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1838
"hey update on my experimental fix.... it looked like it worked! The JB weld was actually able to stop the coolant leak. After i wiped off the residue and cleaned the outside of the tank. I just put globs of that stuff underneath the coolant tank. It completely stopped the leak, seems that stuff can handle temperatures up to 500 degrees BTW....i drove for a few days already with my ghetto fix, and its holding up well "

Got curb or rim rash?
Got curb rash on your wheels?

Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote