Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 07:14 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to arshadj
987 Sports Seats

Just wondering if the Sports Seats option on the 987 reduces legroom? I ask because I get the impression that the Sports Seats are a bit thicker in construction than the standard seats.

arshadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
tmc

Don't know, but the standard (power-memory) seats have enough bolstering to hold in a corner. I'm pretty impressed with them.
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:55 AM   #3

I test drove a 987 with sport seats. I did not notice any difference in leg room, but they are significantly narrower than the standard seats. If you have a wide frame, the side bolsters will push your shoulders forward uncomfortably. They probably provide a secure fit for someone who is lean.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
bmussatti

The Sport Seats on the 987 are nice, but not a major improvement to the standard seats. I agree with SoCal, in that they are more narrow, so be careful, depending on your build.

There is no more, or no less leg room.

The drawback that I had seen in the Sport Seats was that the backs are finished in a hard plastic. This gives them the rigidity they need and the additional bolstering up near the shoulders. But, I did not like the way the seats looked with a plastic back. Look kinda cheap IMHO. Especially when (in my case) I have selected the Full Leather option.

Also while on the subject of seats, I did not think the power seat option for $1,550 was worth the money. In my case, I will be the only driver, and I did not see any additional leg room or comfort adjustments. I took the $1,550 and spent it on other goodies/options, and can move the seat manually just fine.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
could someone point me to a picture of standard and sport seats?

tia,

brett
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal
I test drove a 987 with sport seats. I did not notice any difference in leg room, but they are significantly narrower than the standard seats. If you have a wide frame, the side bolsters will push your shoulders forward uncomfortably. They probably provide a secure fit for someone who is lean.
Please note the Adaptive Sport Seats are fully adjustable to suit a wide variety of builds. I have a 46" chest and wide shoulders and they fit me great. They also have the memory features tied to the key so when my wife and I switch cars our settings are recalled automatically.

They are expensive but very nice.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhduxbury
could someone point me to a picture of standard and sport seats?

tia,

brett

bhduxbury, you can see the seats one of two different ways on the internet:

1) Go to www.porsche.com and do the "build your own". You'll be able to see a difference in the bolstering when you select and de-select the specific option in the set-up

2) on the Porsche web-site go to "Locate Dealers" and look through some local dealer's inventory. Many of them include detailed pictures of certain car interiors.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG

They are expensive but very nice.

Carl AMG, saying they are an expensive option is an understatement. The Adaptive Sport Seats (#PO1) are an $3,055 option!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #9

I have the standard sport seats and love them. While the base seats are good for cornering, the sport seats are great for hard cornering, look great, and are reasonable at the $780 price (MSRP).

They add a more sporty look though so I understand why some might not like the seat backs in grey.

I don't see any need for adaptive seats, tho I am sure they are awesome.

BTW, I have a 46 inch chest, too, and they fit fine across the shoulders

not very helpful pic attached
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:24 PM   #10

I didn't go with the adaptive or sport seats either. The stock seats fit so well that I just didn't see the need.

However, I'm a little annoyed that Porsche didn't put that seatbelt strap on the standard seats. The seatbelt connector oftentimes gets wedged in between my seat and the rear quarter panel in such a way that it's hard to grab. That, and the one on my passenger-side has already scratched the little silver-painted lever on the side of the seat.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:14 AM   #11

Here are some additional pics.

Yes, the seat belt strap is a nice touch. The seats have significantly deeper bolsters and do have better upper back support.

Chris
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C Atlanta
I have the standard sport seats and love them. While the base seats are good for cornering, the sport seats are great for hard cornering, look great, and are reasonable at the $780 price (MSRP).

They add a more sporty look though so I understand why some might not like the seat backs in grey.

I don't see any need for adaptive seats, tho I am sure they are awesome.

BTW, I have a 46 inch chest, too, and they fit fine across the shoulders

not very helpful pic attached
A HUGE deal for me with the adaptive sport seats is having the memory functions (along with the many adjustable postions, lumber bladders and bolsters) in a very aggressively bolstered seat. I hate having to manually find my perfect seating postion and mirror settings after my wife drives our WRX or Expedition. My AMG spoiled me to this function.

If your car is a "one driver" car and you track or autocross I'd recommend the regular sport seats Chris mentions.

BTW...The adaptive seats are so nice for me it feels therapeutic every time I sink into them.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:22 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to arshadj
Talking

Thanks, guys! Great to get so much good advice about the seats. I have actually ordered my 987 with sports seats and when I loaded it up in the Porsche Car Configurator (as you do!), I thought the Sports Seats were a bit bulkier than the standard ones (thus the fears of reduced legroom). I think the plasticky seat backs contributed to that notion!

Incidentally, I have driven the car with the Sports seats and had no issues about seat width (though at 200 lbs I am not the most feathery creature going!) So since there are no reports about reduced legroom, I feel much better - thanks again!!
arshadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 AM   #14

Garage
Arshadj: i went through the same decision

process on the car we're waiting on and opted for the sport seats also. We sat in one at the dealer after a DE and have to say that made the decison. I'm not knocking the std. seats but thought for what we do with the car, the sport seats would help. I wish we could have afforded the adaptive sport seats.

Not sure if you'll be auto-xing or doing DE's but having additional side bolstering is a big help, especially at a DE, given the forces that are pushing you sideways.

I wouldn't think that these seats are as good as true racing seats for keeping you inplace, but they should do a better job than the std. seats, IMHO.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #15

Good point on the memory seats...no one but me drives my Boxster!

(Still, a lot of coin for seats)
Old 10-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C Atlanta
Good point on the memory seats...no one but me drives my Boxster!

(Still, a lot of coin for seats)
Welcome to the world of Porsche options!

At least I was smart enough to skip the $8K PCCB brakes.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Carl AMG, saying they are an expensive option is an understatement. The Adaptive Sport Seats (#PO1) are an $3,055 option!!!!!!
I'm not sure why but the adaptive sport seats are about $500 less if you opt for the full leather interior as well.