Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #1

Need Techart Wheels Repaired

My "new" used 2002S came with some pretty cool looking Techart Formula wheels. Unfortunately the former owner had trouble with driving. He managed to put curb marks on all four of these beauties. I have been looking into getting them repaired. The quotes range form $80.00 per wheel for a guy who comes to your location and repairs only the damaged area of the wheel in place without removing the tire or wheel, to a guy with a fairly sophisticated wheel and tire business for performance cars here in southern Cal who removes the wheels and tires, completely sandblasts, repairs the scratch and electrostaticly repaints the whole wheel. This process takes 4 weeks and they loan you stock Boxster wheels and tires to keep you going. This process was quoted to me at $200.00 per wheel. I like the wheels but like the Gemballas much better.

Any Ideas??

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #2

wheel refinish needed too..

ive been researching the same thing. i have a set of wheels i need redone. i think ive found the place. Wheel America in santa fe springs ca. 562 229 1918. im going down there this week. they quoted me 125.00 per wheel includes painting center, repolishing lips, straitghting and curb repair. even resurface and paint inner lip (reverse). 24hr return per wheel. im going personal first to see their work and then make my decision. ill ask if they can make us a deal for 2 sets if your interested i will get back to you. later this week.
jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #3

Sounds good. I have some friends with a body shop and I think they mentioned the same source. Let me know if you can get us a deal on the 2 sets and I'll consider it. In the mean time I'll contact my friend and see if this is the same source and find out his opinion on the work as well.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #4

I went ahead and hired Wheels America to refinish my wheels. They dismounted the tires, bead blasted off the existing finish, repaired the curb marks and power coated all surfaces of all 4 wheels. They did do a great job, but only after I rejected them twice. The first time they neglected to put clear coat on the inside of the wheels. This would have made a great surface for brake dust to collect. The second time there were just a few too many marks from the clamps they used to mount the tires. The third time they looked great. Got them back on the car with the new Porsche crest center caps I bought online and they look great. All in all they came out great but instead of it taking the promised 24 hours, it took 4 days, due to the re-do’s. Total price was $120.00 each with my body shop referral discount + $20.00 each for the mounting and balancing. If I had it to do all over again I would have taken them up on the free pick up and delivery. I finished them off by coating all wheels inside and out with Klase all in one to ward off the collection of brake dust. I guess the moral of the story is, don’t buy a car with curb marks on the wheels like I did and watch out for curbs! I'll post pics a little later.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #5

See attached pics.......
Old 10-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #6

Lets Try That Again
Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #7

i too will take my wheels to wheel america.

im glad everything worked out i too will take my wheels to wheel america for
refinish.
thanks for your post mr boone
jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #8

A cheaper option for a DIY'er:

Got curb rash on your wheels?

Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote