Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Wow I love my Boxster,does anyone else feel like this?

Yesterday was my 18th birthday(had someone hold it till I turned 18). I was waiting to turn 18 to buy it because in the state of California you must be 18 to have a car in your own name for liablilty purposes. Yes I paid for it,and still owe on it as well(just to let you guys know Iam not spoiled).Here is some info,99,51k,Zenith Blue,5 Speed,Hi-Fi,Center Console Painted to match exteroir. Boy oh boy I love this car. When I picked it up it had around 51,700 miles on it,now it has 51,909. It normally takes me a month to amount those types of miles on a car but I managed to do that in 24 hours. First off I owe you all a thanks because I ordered the clear taillights and side markers which I found directions on how to install on this board(it was also the first "modification" I have done to a car on my own). There is not one aspect of this car I do not like(except maybe the shift knob,but who am I to complain I am only 18). The shear presence of driving down the street with the top down is a blast. Last night I drove it to the grocery store to get food,I did not know I could have so much fun. Another aspect I love is the way it drives,it drives smooth,handles amazing,and brakes well. The stero I find to actually sound decent since I found the treble and bass equalizers,not to mention I can hear it clearly when driving 85 mph with the top down. Another thing I was shocked about was the gas mileage,drove from Danville to Sacramento on a quarter tank(it was almost 95 miles). Oh yeah and when I drove it to pick up my brother from school today some kids were like "Hey nice car" another parent said "When did your dad get that?"(I had to inform her of who owns the car). A old teacher said "I hope your making payments for the next 30 years". Bottom line,I love this car,and I owe you guys a thank you for helping me install the reartailghts and side markers and informing me on some basic knowledge of Boxsters. I look forward to many post in the future.
Sorry about the bad picture,I will take some updated ones shortly.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-21-2005 at 11:44 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:04 AM   #2
bmussatti

Hey Blinkwatt:

Happy Birthday! A guy like you is giving me some faith in the generation of your youth. You're doing great. Your parents should be proud.

Now, just watch your speed...we'd like to keep you around the forum for awhile.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #3

Congrats! I am now 28 and understand what it is like to have a nice car at a young age. When I was 23 I had a '00 3 series, 25 I had a '02 5 series, I now have a '05 E Class and an '04 RX330 and I am about to get a '06 Boxster. It is great to be young and have money. Be prepared, people will be jealous and talk some trash but you must remember that each time it is a compliment in a twisted way. Never apologize for having nice things.
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #4

That is a unique and beautiful color and a gorgeous car.

CONGRATULATIONS!

My first car was a 63 Sting Ray convertible that was actually close in color to your Box. At 17, I truly loved that car.

Wished I had kept it. Traded it for an XKE!

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #5

Wow, that's great to hear. What a killer car, I love the color. There is no better feeling than buying your own car, especially a car that cool. I was 23 when I bought mine and people accused me of being spoiled, so definitely be prepared for that. Congrats!

(root beer of course...)
natecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey Blinkwatt:

Happy Birthday! A guy like you is giving me some faith in the generation of your youth. You're doing great. Your parents should be proud.

Now, just watch your speed...we'd like to keep you around the forum for awhile.
Ditto!!

Congrats on your new baby! The great thing is you will feel the same way years from now when you get in her. :dance:
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #7

Let me break it down so the young folk can "dig it."

Bruva, alls I gots to say is watch out for da haters! They all up in herr. (not herr as in this board, but everywhere you go. It's hard to sound hip when you have to make parenthetical sidenotes.)

Anyway, congrats. Mind your speed, don't drag race, watch how you park (park far away and avoid 2 spots if you can). Your age greatly increases the "hey let's key that kid's car" factor.

And when you bring a lady into the car for the first time... drive it like it's a Corolla! Seriously, I can't stress this enough.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:55 AM   #8

I'll say go buy another beater avoid driving the boxster to places such as schools....ppl at your age tend to do things out of the ordinary and if someone gets jealous, your car will definitely become the target. Good luck and yes, you car looks great!
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #9

Yes I have a Jetta that has been lying around the house that I will take to see if it passes smog and drive that to college/work. I have felt some jealousy from people I have known,but hey thats how life is. Here is a new pic of the clear taillights installed and the new license plate frame I installed. Now to get the steering re-aligned and I need to detail it.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
bmussatti

Blinkwatt, you should get your bumperettes painted to match the exterior. www.bumperplugs.com has this, in your color, for about $245. Just a suggestion.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #11

Congrats, and another joins the faithful.

Be discerning where you take your car and as suggested below, park defensively. Also, maintain your car appropriately and address “issues” as they arise; don’t put them off. Having more than 3 things “broken” in a car at any one time can get you distressed to the point that you won’t want to drive it, and that would be a shame.

Good luck with your new purchase. I know you will enjoy it for years to come.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:48 AM   #12

Congrats great color. I have the same color. People are always complementing me on the color & looks of the car. Now just save some money for mods ( lowering system, wheels & exhaust) Here's a few pics of mine.
rxgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #13
bmussatti

rxgolf, great looking car!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #14

rxgolf, I like the wheels that you already have on it.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #15

GT3 SEATS THERE IS NO SUBSITUTE. as my PCA club buddy said "dang these seats hold you in like a mofo". LOL

but seriously 18 and you are already experiecing one of the finest Porsches ever bulit???? You are one lucky dude.
I was working with this guy who was going nowhere. No promotion in years, his wife left him and he had a kid from a previsous relationship. He admitted to me that his life was not working out the way he had planned but if there was one thing he was going to accomplish in his life it was..........TO OWN A PORSCHE!
It was his only dream in life. Kind of sad but you would be surprised to know how many millions of guys probably have said the same thing.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #16

congrats on the car! wow, 18 and a box!
i strongly urge you to take members advice. take it mellow.
when i got my box (and i 30yrs old) they:

- keyed my car
-stole the hood emblem
-stole all my porsche tire caps
-stole all my porsche wheel caps
- cut my rear window
-stole my front lisence plate and plate mounting set ...???

and i live in a fairly nice area too... it was all done when it was parked somewhere else, like at the movies, dining, valet....oh, valets are the worst in los angeles. i always offer them the money and ask if i can park myself, very nicely.
but i would say drive it as much as you can. whats the point of having it and not driving it?

youre in SAC, going to Davis? almost bought a house in el dorado hills, should have.....would have made some serious moola in equity.
kajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:01 PM   #17

I live in the Greenhaven area of Sacramento and go to Sacramento City College. I dont leave it anywhere shady,camera in the parking lot of my job and a security guard when he walks around there(and I still leave a car cover with a lock on it). I noticed that some people at my job are really jealous so I watch out for them. One pulled up next to me at a light and said "spoiled ass white boy". People dont consider how I do alot with eBay and work for Raley's.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #18

Some people are ignorant. Enjoy your car!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote