Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #21
bmussatti

What would be a good way to accurately measure the 6 ounces of toluene, and then more importantly, dispense into the car without getting any all over the place?

Old 02-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
a used bottle of techron? (and a funnel to fill the techron bottle)

Last edited by bhduxbury; 02-18-2006 at 01:05 PM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #23

I'm a bit confused, as usual.

Is there any particular “name brand” of toluene that I should be looking for or do I simply ask my hardware store clerk for “a gallon of your best toluene please?”

Also, I am looking for clarification of the recommended amount. The way it is recommended in a previous post seems vague to me. Sometimes I fill up from a half tank, other times I might be running on fumes before I gas up. Do I add 6 oz. every time no matter how much gasoline I need with which to fill up? The 987 Box’s fuel capacity is 16.9 gals. according to the manual. When it is recommended that we

“add about 6 oz. when you fill up and you'll never have clogged injectors,”

is that the same as saying 1 oz of toluene for every 2.8166 gals. of gasoline or rounding it up 1 oz of toluene for every 3 gals of gasoline? Would that be the proper ratio to get the job done and not hurt the system in any way?

I am not trying to nit pick here, I just don’t want to screw up a good (and expensive) car by not understanding and following the recommendation exactly. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #24
bmussatti

Biz-z Z, your logic of 1 ounce toulene per 3 gallons of fuel appears to be correct.

As for a brand name, I don't think this is an issue. Just make sure it is 100% toulene.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Biz-z Z, your logic of 1 ounce toulene per 3 gallons of fuel appears to be correct.

As for a brand name, I don't think this is an issue. Just make sure it is 100% toulene.

Bmus,

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #26

Talking

Chevron makes a fuel injector cleaner with this additive. It is fairly inexpensive at Costco (3 bottles for about $8.)/

Premixed and ready to dump in your tank.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #27
olly986

hi

here the unleaded is 95 and super unleaded 98 so does this means that their is more cleaners or solvent in them?
how come a world company car recommends different petroleum for the same car depending on where it is driven, 98 is NOT recommended here by the way and 95 should be used for the Boxster
Old 02-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
hi

here the unleaded is 95 and super unleaded 98 so does this means that their is more cleaners or solvent in them?
how come a world company car recommends different petroleum for the same car depending on where it is driven, 98 is NOT recommended here by the way and 95 should be used for the Boxster
The octane rating is NOT related to the amount of cleaning agents in the gas. Chevron regular grade (say 87) has techron in it while the Costco premium does not.

I would guess the diff octane reqs listed are in response to diff regulations around gas that pop up in diff countries or in the case of the US, diff states.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
hi

Hi,

European Gasoline is both more highly refined (better end-product, more waste) and rated under a different system than US Gas. As stated, the additive package varies by Brand and local Gov't. Regulations...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #30

Not much of a writer so apologies in advance.

There have been a few great/interesting posts on gasoline the last few weeks. Thought I would add my dime. Some of these threads mix apples, oranges, and bananas. This thread started as a discussion of fuel injector cleaners the cheaper of which are mostly kerosene (90%) with some fuel additive. The better fuel cleaner additives (e.g. techron concentrate and there are others) are usually formulated for engine/intake valve/combustion chamber cleaning as well as injectors. The better cleaners are more complex and cost a bit more. (Are they worth it? The better ones work as advertised. Techron gasolines regularly get praise from auto manufacturers, mechanics, and auto magazines for their cleaning properties.) These cleaners may increase octane but are not usually designed to do so (kerosene would actually decrease octane.) Similarly octane additives are designed to increase octane. They may have some cleaning ability but not much. So if you need/want to use a cleaner buy and use a cleaner (note: Chevron says if you consistently use their techron flavors you should not need to use an additional cleaner. FWIW their concentrate is about 10 times the amount of techron in a typical tank of their gas.) Different grades of gasoline are not always just the same old gasoline with different cleaning and octane additives. The larger more recognized companies may specifically formulate grades to get a “better gasoline” then add additives to get the octane rating and cleaning properties. However, since gasoline is a blend of long chain carbohydrates, as stated before the overall energy content is not going to vary significantly from one gallon to the next regular, mid-grade, or premium.

1. The problem with using other than premium fuel in our cars has been discussed in a few posts. All of the analysis is correct but a key point has been missed. When less than hi-test is used, the car runs with the tuning for the manufacturer’s recommended gasoline grade. It will maintain this tuning until it senses a problem – pinging or knocking – then the DME (computer) will retard timing to get the pinging to cease. Eventually the pinging will stop and the computer will advance timing to its normal set point. The problem is two fold: (1) You may never realize you car was starting to knock and will continue driving as if there is no issue since the DME corrected it and (2) You are relying on a protective function to keep your engine safe – a protective function that starts when the problem it attempts to stop is actually occurring. OBTW – this change in timing will show up in both power (if you could measure it) and gas mileage. Quite simply, engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed and tuned for. If your non Boxster says regular is ok, using premium gets you nothing. However, if premium is recommended it will prevent knocking and protect you engine. (Historical note: Early internal combustion engines ran on gasoline with octane numbers between 60 and 70. Mechanical break down due to excessive knock was the leading cause of engine failure.) Finally, knocking can occur whenever the engine is under load -- accelerating, going up hill, starting from a standstill, etc. It is very difficult to control your driving to avoid knocking at all times.

2. Grades of gases will mix. Specific gravity is only a part of the equation that allows two liquids to mix or be miscible. For example, water does not mix with gas but will mix with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol which will mix with gas. So we frequently use isopropyl alcohol (or ethanol) as the main ingredient in dry gas. They will not mix immediately but after a short time they are a blend. OBTW the octane of the mix is approximately equal to the volumetric octane average. (i.e. ½ tank of 89 plus ½ tank of 93 yields about 91 octane). Think about it, if the major difference in gasoline grades is their additives, how do we mix the additives with the gas. Moreover, how do you get the injector cleaners or octane boosters you add later to mix?

3. All gas is piped from the same refineries to the same tank farms and sold to different gasoline stations. In some cases, the same truck will serve several different gas chains in an area. However, the storage tanks at the station are all different, with different maintenance and cleanliness standards. Although these tanks are inspected, it is not as often or thorough an inspection as you might think. More often than not it is a safety/pollution inspection. There is a difference in gas companies, it is the stowage tanks at the station.

4. Techron is added to gasoline (Chevron/Texaco/and a few others – Citgo has their own blend as does Sunoco) primarily as a cleaning agent (and it is a pretty good one.) It helps to increase octane but it is not added as an octane booster. Techron Concentrate is designed as a cleaner not an octane booster. While it has 5 to 10% toluene/aromatics its primary ingredients are patented combinations of polyether amines about 85% or so for cleaning. Toluene is added to gasoline to increase octane – not act as a solvent/cleaner – because it is a solvent (think paint thinner) it does clean but it is less effective than commercial cleaners. There are two other problems with using toluene: (1) the purity/quality of paint thinner grade toluene is not always the greatest. (2) Toluene (and xylene) are two of the most common octane boosters (note: I did not say cleaners) added to gasoline. They lower the volatility of the gasoline and thus increase the octane. However, this causes a problem in the winter. Thus ethers are added to maintain volatility and in the winter … the ether content is increased and toluene content decreased. Some countries, Australia for example sell several blends of gasoline throughout the year -- think a monthly blend. In the US we have winter, summer and in some cases intermediate gas so adding toluene in the winter will change that mix. Adding toluene will increase your octane content; however, it is not a great cleaner and in the winter may not be what you want to do. But I must emphasize toluene is not the primary or active ingredient in techron as stated elsewhere. Final OBTW, many injector cleaner manufacturers (and mechanics) recommend addition the next to last fill up before an oil change. There is some sound engineering thought behind this. Although it may be unnecessary, it may be a good idea.

5. There was considerable discussion about the relation between octane and fuel energy that is about 3/4 right and misses another key point. First, if the only difference between grades was the octane additives. They would have about the same energy per gallon; maybe a bit less energy per gallon due to the volume of the octane additives but not much. However, octane simply makes the fuel burn less easily. The energy is released based on the breaking of chemical bonds in the fuel -- so energy content can be increased by increasing chemical bonds (carbon bonds are the primary ones of concern for gasoline) although it will still be less volatile. For some premium fuels (not all), the gasoline is formulated differently to maintain or in some cases increase the energy content. It is not just adding octane boosters and cleaners. Second, Higher compression gasoline engines are (in general) more efficient at extracting energy from gasoline. Higher compression gasoline engines require higher octane (less volatile) gasoline to run and avoid pre-ignition. The system, engine and gasoline, is designed to extract more power from the fuel. The gasoline is not more powerful but more energy can be converted due to the increased efficiency of the engine. In general this shows up as an increase in the engines power output.

Hope this helps.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #31

@Trube78,

Very Good Post! I agree with you about 99.999%. Premium Gasoline is more highly refined and extracts many more long-chained Hydrocarbons than the lower grades and it does contain more energy/unit volume, but not all that much.

But, on point, the need for using Fuel Injector Cleaner varies widely and is often done too often. If the injectors are not dirty or varnished, there is little benefit, if any to using it. Also, as you rightly point out, where you buy your Gas can make a difference as well as how you drive your Car and how often. A Car driven daily will go many more miles before injector cleaning is required as opposed to a Sunny Sunday Car. The amount of time Gasoline spends in the system stagnant has a great effect on the build-up of Varnishes and Waxes which leach from the Gas.

All things being equal, in general, adding Injector Cleaner once a year, or even every other year, is usually sufficient to keep the injectors operating as they should. If you actually require it more frequently than this, you need to reassess which Brand of Gasoline you're buying and where you buy it...

Old 02-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #32

Bottom line...if I use 93 oct gas all the time do I need to worry about this?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Bottom line...if I use 93 oct gas all the time do I need to worry about this?
Hi,

Well, Yes and NO. It depends upon where you buy your Gas - look for the busiest, Name Brand, Station you can find as they are constantly emptying their Tanks and so there's less contamination build-up. Also, if you drive daily, this delays the need to clean the injectors.

But, realize that these OTC Products are limited in how well they can clean your Fuel System, they're much better as once a year treatments to prevent a problem rather than cure one.

The best product is a commercial kit from 3M which sells for something like $150. In it, there is an adapter to hook into the Fuel Rail to which you attach an aerosol can filled with their Cleaner, mostly their own mix of polyether amines and Techron. You screw this Can onto the adapter, pull the Fuel Pump fuse and start the car. The Car runs exclusively on the contents of the Aerosol can for about 3 min at idle and then quits as the Can is exhausted and your injectors are clean. See it here: http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSRTBL245Qgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_QF2T43N7Q7bl/gvel_GSJX1THS8Hgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

I have used this system and it works quite well. Hope this helps...

Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #34

Jim sums it up pretty well.

1. Always use premium fuel (91 to 93 Octane in the states.) If you must use less than premium, try not to fill up and fill up with premium as soon as possible -- this prevents engine knock.

2. Pick a good gas with a good detergent, the links give some recommendations but there are others

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm

If all you want is the low down stop and read no more.

If you are using a local gas say sheetz, liberty, Wawa, Racetrack, etc. They may not have the best detergents added and probably add the minimum additives for compliance with existing laws. In those cases a good system cleaner should be used about once a year. In the tank, techron concentrate is about the best -- Chevron has some others that are cheaper (Pro-Guard) with less Techron. There are others but beware of cleaners that are mostly kerosene or Naptha spirits. If it costs $2 it probably is kerosene.

The 3m system Jim mentions is the great but costly. For $150 for the kit and about $20 for the refills you can use Chevron Techron Gas exclusively for a few years or about 10 years worth of techron concentrate twice a year. But if you know someone who has one ... it is the way to go. Some service centers use them and charge about $40-50 for a one time cleaning.

Final note some local gas companies (here in VA, Wawa and Sheetz) are low on detergent additives but have other advantages. Most Sheetz and WaWa's are relatively new with the best state of the art pumps and tanks. The pumps actually monitor the gas for particulate and water and will shut down and or switch supply tanks if they exceed the allowed specification. Rumor is that Sheetz has been trying to license with Chevron or Citgo to use their detergents (Texaco merged with chevron in 2001 and began using techron in 2005.) Because they are a volume seller, the appropriate seasonal formula is usually readily available while some "name" stations do not cycle out their tanks as frequently.

hope this helps,
ATB,
Tom
Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #35

Thanks for your help Jim and Trube. Very informative stuff! One more quick question, I live out here in cornville where some of gas stations put in 10% ethanal in the 93 oct gas. Aside from being more environmently friendly, is there any reason to choose or not choose this gas over the standard stuff? I think Jim said alcohol has less engergy than gas(but I couldn't find it). That had me thinking about alcohol powered dragsters lol. Those things rip pretty good and run on about 100% alcohol right? Also, would ethal alcohol work as a solvent as well to clean out the system?....I know it cleans me out when I drink it. Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Thanks for your help Jim and Trube. Very informative stuff! One more quick question, I live out here in cornville where some of gas stations put in 10% ethanal in the 93 oct gas. Aside from being more environmently friendly, is there any reason to choose or not choose this gas over the standard stuff? I think Jim said alcohol has less engergy than gas(but I couldn't find it). That had me thinking about alcohol powered dragsters lol. Those things rip pretty good and run on about 100% alcohol right? Also, would ethal alcohol work as a solvent as well to clean out the system?....I know it cleans me out when I drink it. Thanks again for the help guys.
Hi,

Dragsters use Methanol it because it has a Very High Octane Rating, about 120 Octane. This allows them to use a Very High Compression Ratio in their Engines - greater than 15:1, without Detonating. This allows these Monsters to make the 1,000's of HP that they do. But, they also get about 0.0625 MPG.

The same is True of Ethanol. Higher Octane, less Energy. Ethanol is a HydroCarbon like Gasoline, but it has less Energy (read Work) than Gasoline by about 10%. Your MPG would suffer a similar drop.

Aside from this, there are other considerations such as it's volatility - Much easier to ignite - could be an issue in a Collision or even a Fill-Up. And, it's Flame is nearly Colorless, making it especially Dangerous.

During the Turbo Days in F1, they used Fuel which was 85% Tolulene (Octane Rating - 114). This allowed them to use Turbo Boosts in the 5 BAR (73.5PSI) Range without Detonating. These 1.5 Liter Engines produced as much as 1,250 bhp. The Rules restricted Fuel Octane to 102, so to comply, Teams laced their Toluene with either Regular Pump Gas, or n-heptane (Octane Rating - 0) to lower the Fuel Rating to meet the Spec.

To sumarize, you can run a Higher Compression Ratio, making more Power, using a High Octane Fuels such as Methanol/Ethanol, but you burns lots more Fuel doing it. Hope this helps...

Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 AM   #37

Adam,

My guess is you may not have a choice in a few years. The additive MBTE is banned in 25 states and ethanol is the most likely replacement. Some states (I think Minnesota for one) require ethanol gasoline. The largest advantages of ethanol is that it replaces gasoline, could be cheap to make, and is somewhat renewable since it comes from corn. Other advantages are less certain. It could be a cleaner but there are better ones out there. It does increase octane. And in the winter it mixes with water to keep your gas dry. It does not ignite as well as gasoline so cold starting with higher blends can be a problem in winter. And there are more advantages and disadvantages being argued. Is it cleaner, what about the energy used to make it, etc.

Today, cars sold in the US are made to use gasohol to at least 10% and 15% is the new blend being touted -- for flexible fuel vehicles -- whatever that means. So there should be no problem using it.

ATB,
Tom
Old 02-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #38

I've learned alot more about about fuel from this thread. Excellent thread. Thanks guys. I have to agree with you Trube, the push for more eco-friendly fuels in the future could have an adverse affect on the quality/performance and we'll have to use whatever the government madates.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #39
olly986

hi guys

very good threads and extremely informative, was looking at a fuel injector cleaner bottle today made by STP, on the content it did not mention toluene or techron but only kerosene, is kerosene working the same way? here kerosene is the cheaper and cleaner fuel that is used for home heating instalation.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #40

An excellent product is BG44k, I use 1 can every couple fill ups you can buy BG at any dealer, Porsche included. I also like to run redline SL1 in between the BG44K. Works great!!

PorscheCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote