Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2005, 11:21 AM   #1

How to paint Calipers?

Hello, I have a porsche boxster and was wondering how I would go about painting my porsche calipers?

What brand paint is the best to do this job?
How much would it cost?

Thank you!

gjin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #2

I got the G2 paint kit, available on ebay from several sources. Comes w/ everything you need except plastic gloves and masking tape. Do 2 calipers at once and apply VERY thin coats. While its drying do the other wheel. I'd give it at least an hour between coats. While your waiting for the drying you could scrub and paint your lug bolts and clean and wax your rims. If you take your time they will look really good, but dont rush through this project it'll make a huge mess of your calipers if not done properly. Once your happy w/ the finish do the other side and give it at least 24 hours of cure time before driving. Get your porsche caliper decals to finish the touch. Got mine from xenonmods.com but have seen stencil sets around also.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #3

Thumbs up Paint and New PORSCHE Stencils

I went a different route and used a hi temp, low gloss enamel.
I first dismanteled them by removing the brake pads. I then used a 1 to 1 solution of Simple Green and clean them THOUROUGHLY!
After allowing them to dry, I then wiped them down with paint thinner, followed by a clean cloth.
Be sure an cover everything in the wheel well with newspaper as well as the outside surface of the car with a drop cloth.
The paint goes on very smooth and dries quickly. After 3 lite coats of the black, I then transfered new PORSCHE stencils on the calipers. If you stop at this point, there is the potential for them to come off later. However, I followed this step with spraying 2 to 3 coats of CLEAR hi temp enamel over the stencils. This will help protect them they will last much longer.

mccarrm is offline   Reply With Quote