Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #1

Angeles Crest

I finally got to use my 02 Boxster S today for its intended purpose. Took Angeles Crest Hwy out of La Canada CA east all the way to where it is closed. This is one awesome piece of hwy. Angles crest runs east and west through LA’s local mountains and passes behind Mount Wilson where all of our TV and Radio transmitters are. Aside from the transmitters and towers, and the observatory on Mnt. Wilson and the Mt. Waterman ski resort, (small and steep) the rest of the area is pretty much untouched. Lots of blue sky and pine trees. The entrance to the good (twisted) part of the drive is only 30 minutes from my house, so I am looking forward to many drives on this road. Car performed like a dream. Had the time of my life. I almost did not make this post so as not to add more traffic to this little gem but considering it’s marked on every map you can think of - of the area - it's really no secret. There were lot's of high performance motorcycles up there as well as a lot of bicyclists and hikers. I did see one other Boxster going the opposite direction up there today. Seal grey it was I think (Hello to whoever you were). Also saw a nice late model Carerra parked outside the restaurant "The Newcomb Ranch". I was having so much fun driving my car I did not stop in, but I am sure I will in the future. The whole adventure from my driveway and back took only 3 hours, so I know I will be back. Please enjoy the pictures below. Hope you all can find time to use your Boxsters like this as well.

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #2

Love those rims! What kind are they? What size are they? Where'd you get them?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
bmussatti

Mr. Boone, your car looks great! Thanks for the pictures.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Love those rims! What kind are they? What size are they? Where'd you get them?
Thanks for the complements on the car.

The rims are made by Techart and the particular model is :"Formula". They are pretty cool looking. I actually like the Gembalas much better. They are 18" but I am unclear on the width although I know the rears are about one inch wider than stock. They also cut about 6 pounds per wheel off the un-sprung weight. My cars former owner bought them for about $3,600.00 and installed them on the car. Tomorrow my car goes into my friends’ auto repair shop to have the ding I inherited in the left front fender repaired. After that I need to get all 4 of the rims reconditioned as the former owner also had a little trouble keeping them away from curbs..... after that I am just about done getting the car in shape (unless it really does need a clutch like the dealer told me - no real symptoms yet) and will be looking forward to many more pleasurable drives on Angeles Crest and other mountain roads. I have discovered driving the Boxster in these environments beats working on them any day.

BTW for those local readers who go up to Angeles Crest, watch out for the bikers and other folks as they don't always stick to their side of the double yellow line and allot of them are apparently trying to set world speed records.....stay alert, watch your speed, look out for the crazies, have some respect for nature and the other folks up their trying to enjoy it and all will be well.

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote