Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Drain Gas Tank

My girlfriend, well, ex girlfriend poured a foreign substance into my boxster. UGH. If only i had known she had previously taken anger management classes. Anyhow, i called 2 porsche dealers twice over the course of a week and haven't received a call back. Thinking maybe i'll bite the bullet and attempt it myself even though i'm pretty much a lay person. Does anyone know if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank? And if not, is it even possible to drain or flush the tank... or does it need to be replaced, which i assume would cost big bucks. If anyone could give me some advice, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bob.

bob.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #2

According to the Bentley manual, you drain the gas tank by siphoning or sucking it out with a pump through the filler neck. There is no mention of a drain plug.
It also states that do not run the fuel pump with the tank empty, it will ruin it.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 11-07-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #3

The is no drain plug on the tank. I would seriously try to pump it out and clean it in place, changing the tank, which comes out the bottom of the car, can be a lot of fun.......
Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

I can't see how it can be done well enough in place to eradicate something intended to harm the fuel system unless you pumped it nearly dry, ran it and changed the fuel filter immediately. To be safe, you need to take it out for an inverted dump and rinse, hell hath no fury like a scorned sweet thoughtful young lass.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #5

Garage
Depending on what the substance is it is difficult to get from the filler neck into the gas tank, are you sure it has actually entered the tank?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Ahhh, the weaker sex strikes again! This time it they were not weaker and it will take you a week to fix!

Seriously, bummer to hear about it. Doesn't the vehicle have locking gas flap? I am not even going to ask how she could have gotten it in there without your noticing. It CAN happen!

The gas tank is not in an easy thing to replace. As difficult as it is to get to, it may more difficult to clean an old tank, depending on what "chemical" was used by your X.

You may find a tank from a junk yard to be another option.

None of them seem like good choices. Better to fix the relationship or move on so it does not happen again.

Crazy CAN LAST a lifetime, and….Anyone CAN MISS their medication.

Sorry for your loses.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #7

Garage
Sorry to hear this. I was also wondering.....how did you determine that she did that? Did she leave a note? Have you run the engine since? What was the chemical dumped into the tank?..... sugar? How much? Remember, you can't fix crazy. Did you call the police? This would fall under vandalism on your insurance.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #8

Take it easy !!! There are several posts on changing fuel pumps. The tank has a large lid on top of the tank under the battery. Follow the instructions and it should be easy to clean. You can access the entire insides of the tank to flush and wipe clean. Caution---Do this outside, flashlight only, no electric lights. Place battery far away from any "Mistakes" Good luck. "
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
Take it easy !!! There are several posts on changing fuel pumps. The tank has a large lid on top of the tank under the battery. Follow the instructions and it should be easy to clean. You can access the entire insides of the tank to flush and wipe clean. Caution---Do this outside, flashlight only, no electric lights. Place battery far away from any "Mistakes" Good luck. "
+1 Millie Access is actually pretty easy from that point.

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #10

When I had to pump the gas out of my tank on other vehicles I was restoring I was able to run a hose off the fuel pump to a gas can to let it run the tank dry. Of course you have to shut it off as the tank empties out or risk damaging the pump. In one case I bought a cheap aftermarket fuel pump designed to use outside of the tank at checkers and added some alligator clips and wires to hook it up to the battery and pump the gas out. Not sure how easy or hard this would be on a Boxster, but from one of the earlier posts it sounds like the pump is fairly accessable under the battery.
Not sure how you are going to dispose of all that bad gas though.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #11

We have cleaned out gas tanks in place that had everything from gelled gas (old age), antifreeze, water, sugar, and even a large amount of urine (don't ask) in them; all of them came clean and went back into service without issue.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #12

Drain Gas Tank

She admitted it... it was pancake syrup... Miss's Butterworths.. a whole bottle UHG!!
I have no idea why i hooked up with her to begin with... the porsche has a hotter body than she does.
bob.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Homeboy981

Garage
Maple you'll think twice next time….or

You want 5w-50 or 10w-50 Mrs. Butterworths with that?

Sorry Bob, couldn't resist.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.11 View Post
She admitted it... it was pancake syrup... Miss's Butterworths.. a whole bottle UHG!!
I have no idea why i hooked up with her to begin with... the porsche has a hotter body than she does.
If she admitted , you must be speaking ? Are you back in the saddle with her ??? Good luck this time !!!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #15

Bob.11, you need to edjimacate your GF on better uses of pancake syrup.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.11 View Post
Bullsh#$ You and all of us men know why you hooked up in the first place, it's because the craziest horse is always the best ride. Unfortunately, they also always smear crazy from their convoluted sense of life onto your life. The least she could have done was use real maple syrup as a homage to Porsche.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-11-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Bullsh#$ You and all of us men know why you hooked up in the first place, it's because the craziest horse is always the best ride.
Amen, brother!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #18
VeloYelo

Syrup alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Bob.11, you need to edjimacate your GF on better uses of pancake syrup.
Stock ur pantry with Aunt Jemima bottles filled with 10w-40. But be sure you are clearly grabbing ur secret (real) stash when serving pancakes!
veloyelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #19
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
As others mentioned, pop the sending unit and fuel pump. Use a separate pump to empty the tank. Depending on your year, the units are a smidge different but nothing overly major. I've done this a few times... uh, pump R&R that is.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #20

the easy way to clean your tank is to lure her back with sweet words, have her clean it and then dump her again

stelan is offline   Reply With Quote