Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Garage
Glass window in top to replace plastic!!!!

Hi all,

Can I retro fit a newer top with glass rear window to my 1997 Boxster??

Dgrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

Search is your friend.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #3

Garage
This thread should be helpful.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Thumbs up on the GAHH top w/glass window. I don't do many aesthetic mods but this was a winner.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #5

Put one on my 2000S...looks terriffffic. GAAH is the perfect top.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Usercpy

Garage
I Just installed a 1997 top with glass from EZ ON auto tops from ebay, nice product, with no mods, cutting, sewing and so on, just ready to install, the top was Blue Haartz German A5, the sound is a little different from original fabric OEM, maybe a tad noisier. .
Thanks to mikefocke DIY install tips on net, i did the job myself, just read the instruction manual 100 times... and several other installing manuals...
removal was the easy part, installing the top was not that easy.... but managed to complete after 12 hours work.....huh...and have a assistent help for some installing.
I think i manage to it faster next time if i ever installing next time..
Take your time, don't rush, have a printed manual or laptop beside you. Just be careful not to break original loose parts that can be used again to your new top.
I'm very pleased with the result, the top is tight and have a perfect fit.

small tip: cover the drain hole with some tape, if you loose some small parts under installation.

Last edited by ilikeching; 11-05-2012 at 07:44 AM.
ilikeching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
I Just installed a 1997 top with glass from EZ ON auto tops from ebay, nice product, with no mods, cutting, sewing and so on, just ready to install, the top was Blue Haartz German A5, the sound is a little different from original fabric OEM, maybe a tad noisier. .
Thanks to mikefocke DIY install tips on net, i did the job myself, just read the instruction manual 100 times... and several other installing manuals...
removal was the easy part, installing the top was not that easy.... but managed to complete after 12 hours work.....huh...and have a assistent help for some installing.
I think i manage to it faster next time if i ever installing next time..
Take your time, don't rush, have a printed manual or laptop beside you. Just be careful not to break original loose parts that can be used again to your new top.
I'm very pleased with the result, the top is tight and have a perfect fit.

small tip: cover the drain hole with some tape, if you loose some small parts under installation.
Plus, how many beers do you consume.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #8

I cracked the plastic window in my 2002S and replaced it myself with a top from Cabrioword. The new top had a glass window with defrost which is nice. A word of caution when doing it yourself. It needs to be done in a very warm setting in-order to get the canvas to stretch properly. (don't use a gas heater in a closed garage!). Also, Some plastic parts are best replaced and are not very expensive (the sliders), bu t you would need to order them ahead of time. The web sites Mike Focke and others was very helpful, but there are minor variations depending upon year.

opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote