986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Glass window in top to replace plastic!!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/37940-glass-window-top-replace-plastic.html)

Dgrange 11-04-2012 04:21 PM

Glass window in top to replace plastic!!!!

Hi all,

Can I retro fit a newer top with glass rear window to my 1997 Boxster??

stateofidleness 11-04-2012 05:33 PM

Search is your friend.

kjc2050 11-04-2012 06:07 PM

This thread should be helpful.

Topless 11-04-2012 06:56 PM

Thumbs up on the GAHH top w/glass window. I don't do many aesthetic mods but this was a winner. :cheers:

jcb986 11-05-2012 05:46 AM

Put one on my 2000S...looks terriffffic. GAAH is the perfect top.:cheers:

ilikeching 11-05-2012 07:39 AM

I Just installed a 1997 top with glass from EZ ON auto tops from ebay, nice product, with no mods, cutting, sewing and so on, just ready to install, the top was Blue Haartz German A5, the sound is a little different from original fabric OEM, maybe a tad noisier. .
Thanks to mikefocke DIY install tips on net, i did the job myself, just read the instruction manual 100 times...:) and several other installing manuals...
removal was the easy part, installing the top was not that easy.... but managed to complete after 12 hours work.....huh...and have a assistent help for some installing.
I think i manage to it faster next time if i ever installing next time..
Take your time, don't rush, have a printed manual or laptop beside you. Just be careful not to break original loose parts that can be used again to your new top.
I'm very pleased with the result, the top is tight and have a perfect fit.

small tip: cover the drain hole with some tape, if you loose some small parts under installation.

jcb986 11-05-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeching (Post 311722)
I Just installed a 1997 top with glass from EZ ON auto tops from ebay, nice product, with no mods, cutting, sewing and so on, just ready to install, the top was Blue Haartz German A5, the sound is a little different from original fabric OEM, maybe a tad noisier. .
Thanks to mikefocke DIY install tips on net, i did the job myself, just read the instruction manual 100 times...:) and several other installing manuals...
removal was the easy part, installing the top was not that easy.... but managed to complete after 12 hours work.....huh...and have a assistent help for some installing.
I think i manage to it faster next time if i ever installing next time..
Take your time, don't rush, have a printed manual or laptop beside you. Just be careful not to break original loose parts that can be used again to your new top.
I'm very pleased with the result, the top is tight and have a perfect fit.

small tip: cover the drain hole with some tape, if you loose some small parts under installation.

Plus, how many beers do you consume.

opus69 11-05-2012 03:17 PM

I cracked the plastic window in my 2002S and replaced it myself with a top from Cabrioword. The new top had a glass window with defrost which is nice. A word of caution when doing it yourself. It needs to be done in a very warm setting in-order to get the canvas to stretch properly. (don't use a gas heater in a closed garage!). Also, Some plastic parts are best replaced and are not very expensive (the sliders), bu t you would need to order them ahead of time. The web sites Mike Focke and others was very helpful, but there are minor variations depending upon year.