Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

Garage
And I quote: "Tap out the inner CV joint..."

I'm replacing the CV boots on my '03 S and I'm going along just fine...until I get to the step that states "Tap out the inner CV joint using a piece of wood or plastic to avoid damaging it". I've removed the circlip securing the joint to the shaft but in spite of repeated 'tapping'. I am unable to budge the joint. I've used some firm 'taps', enough to fracture several types of wood, including a section from a hockey stick (I've seen the Red Green show, so I know auto repair is a sanctioned use of a hockey stick).

I was wondering if there is a flange that the joint sits against and that maybe I'm tapping against that flange, as I'm holding the wood along the length of the shaft. I don't see any obvious separation between the shaft and the joint.

Would heating it help and if so, where should I concentrate the heat to do the least amount of damage to the otherwise good joint.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

I've never done this so I'm not sure if this will help.

Porsche's 986 repair manual provides the following instructions:

Remove snap ring for CV joint with a suitable circlip pliers, e.g. circlip pliers VW 161

Press off CV joint using special tools plunger VW 408 A and thrust plate VW 401 A −A and B− .

Push dust bellows and bellows holder to the inner side of the drive shaft so that the CV joint can be pressed off.

Assuming one doesn't need the special tool plunger b/c tapping does the same thing, is it possible that the bellows is blocking the way?
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #3

Garage
I just did this on my '00 S. The splines were definitely on there tighter than other cars I've done this work on, both in the "taking off" and "putting on" direction. If anything, my new CV felt tighter on the axle.

I used a 3# sledge and a fairly large metal drift punch, applied carefully to various locations around the inner part of the joint that has the splines machined on it's ID.

I think wood might be too much of a shock absorber for this particular job.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.oneufer View Post
I'm replacing the CV boots on my '03 S and I'm going along just fine...until I get to the step that states "Tap out the inner CV joint using a piece of wood or plastic to avoid damaging it". I've removed the circlip securing the joint to the shaft but in spite of repeated 'tapping'. I am unable to budge the joint. I've used some firm 'taps', enough to fracture several types of wood, including a section from a hockey stick (I've seen the Red Green show, so I know auto repair is a sanctioned use of a hockey stick).

I was wondering if there is a flange that the joint sits against and that maybe I'm tapping against that flange, as I'm holding the wood along the length of the shaft. I don't see any obvious separation between the shaft and the joint.

Would heating it help and if so, where should I concentrate the heat to do the least amount of damage to the otherwise good joint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
I just did this on my '00 S. The splines were definitely on there tighter than other cars I've done this work on, both in the "taking off" and "putting on" direction. If anything, my new CV felt tighter on the axle.

I used a 3# sledge and a fairly large metal drift punch, applied carefully to various locations around the inner part of the joint that has the splines machined on it's ID.

I think wood might be too much of a shock absorber for this particular job.
I agree with the wood being a little to soft for removing the joint. I just replaced an inner cv boot 3 days ago and I too had to put the shaft in a vise, use a large hammer and large diameter drift punch. Came off with some good hits in about 5 hits. Make sure you have someone to catch the joint as it wants to shoot off the end....ask me how I know ??
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the replies. All it needed was a more significant item with which to 'tap'.