Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
Turning One Way Easier Than The Other?

I installed a cold air intake last night and took it out for a road test.

Doing some low speed turns, like switchbacks-back-to-back lefties and rights in second and third, I observed the rear end stepping further out when turning right than it does turning left…same speed same road surface. Tire pressure was the same in both (29f/35r).

I (no passenger) went back the other way, and duplicated results and the same thing happened going the other way. So I can rule out the road surface. But all things being equal, what would cause that? I have physically checked the links, suspension, ties, etc. nothing obvious.

Where/what should I check from here?

Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Just a shot in the dark but if for any reason a caliper is hanging up it will make a car pull in the direction of the faulty unit. Could do nothing but help to take the brakes apart for a lube & clean.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Just a shot in the dark but if for any reason a caliper is hanging up it will make a car pull in the direction of the faulty unit. Could do nothing but help to take the brakes apart for a lube & clean.
Grrrr. Didn't want to hear that! I have to do the hubs and CVs, I suppose that could be it too, right?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

tire pressure, worn suspension, wheel alignment, could be many things even just the way it feels sitting on one side of the car versus the other
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
SPB racer

Garage
Most likely worn,broken or bent rear suspension component. Start with the rubber joints on the pieces that make up the A-arms and (if you have any noise associated) check the top mounts of the struts.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
No noise….aside from screetching rubber!

There was definitely more screetching going on from right hand turns than on the left. The left was more of a "controlled drift" whereas the right felt like it was "a little squirrelly".

Again, this was on the 'ragged edge of traction' but it should not be acting this abruptly! And there was no passenger, would that account for it? Does it happen to others when they powerslide alone?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
No noise….aside from screetching rubber!

There was definitely more screetching going on from right hand turns than on the left. The left was more of a "controlled drift" whereas the right felt like it was "a little squirrelly".

Again, this was on the 'ragged edge of traction' but it should not be acting this abruptly! And there was no passenger, would that account for it? Does it happen to others when they powerslide alone?
It's the German side car effect when making right turns.. You need a passenger for counter balance...
Ok, I couldn't resist..

T
Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
It's the German side car effect when making right turns.. You need a passenger for counter balance...
Ok, I couldn't resist..

T
Good One Tony!

Sidecar indeed! ...And I DO HAVE the proper proportioned passenger to balance it but the problem is HER NOT RIDING in the box enough-not the other way around with me, if you know what I mean …I think you know where this is going!

Originally it was about sliding more one way than another….now the thread MISSED THE TURN and just went over the cliff!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

I have found that as I get older it has been easier and easier to turn to the right.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
Maybe I can shed some light for those that may encounter a similar problem. Tires.

The tire balance was off on the right side rear, not very much but a little. AND…

The right tire was worn more than the left….after thinking about it…I know why.

There is a turn I make everyday, to the right in second gear. I come off that turn very hard, and, although it is not burning out, I am on the edge of traction! In other words, not pealing out but USING the tire just before it breaks free, sometimes several times a day!

Mystery solved.

Fortunately, my Kumhos have a 40,000 mile thread wear guarantee, and I have about 15K on them. Yippie! Gotta love those mileage warrantees! I KNOW someone is going to spam me about using THOSE tires on our car! But hey, they are cheap, pretty good (not for racing), and once they are heated, they run consistently and don't SNAP when they DO break free!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
Ex Esso kid

No dis on the tire choice but you may get voided for not rotating the tires assuming Kumho is wise enough to understand the Porsche way of doing things.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
No dis on the tire choice but you may get voided for not rotating the tires assuming Kumho is wise enough to understand the Porsche way of doing things.
I will check on that, thanks!

Curses! Foiled by the fine print again!