Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
Ex Esso kid

Where in the Caribbean? Good for you no matter where it is. I'm selling my houses in NY, first the rental then my home, after that I'm going somewhere that has far better weather, lower taxes and cheaper houses. I'll miss Ontario though, before 911 screwed the border crossings, I used to go to Kingston a lot, awesome place.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #42

Garage
Brad,
Great post! Sums up why many of us have such a love of the Boxster! I still can't believe how nice this car drives and yes, the pure joy! I don't begrudge the repair costs either. It's a high performance sports car with the associated costs. I have to agree on the luggage space as well, this car is awesome for road trips!
Bruce
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #43

I was born into a Porsche loving family, 3 days into life I was shoehorned into a 356 on my way home form the hospital. I didn't really know what it was like to grow up as a normal kid with ill handling heavy American cars. This spring my father celebrated 50 years as a PCA member, not sure if anyone has surpassed that mark. Over the years he's owned countless numbers of Porsches. My favorite of his collection was a 1970 Porsche 911 S Monte Carlo Rally Prototype, serial number .0002, currently owned by Peter Kitchak. And second in line was a '56 GS Carrera, it was a right hand drive with a v-sunroof and round windshield. Porsche must have changed to the new windshield but didn't have the tooling for the sunroof yet. That 4-cam motor had a distinctive sound. I started out owning 914s, and today the Box. Next plan is to pick up a mechanically sound late 80s Carrera and back date it to a '73 RSR.
Uller God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #44

I started out in the early 70's building model cars. One of my favorites was the Porsche. Ever since then I knew I'd own one. I bought my first one, an 85.5 944, in 95. After a crash that totaled it, I bought an 86 944. About five years later a bought an 88 944, had it a couple of years, and then sold it to my friend.
I got into motorcycles and pretty much forgot about Porsches, In 2011, my buddy that bought the 88, called and asked me if I wanted the car back. I said "sure, why not". He sold me the car back for 100 bucks, and it even passed inspection.
After I had it awhile, I realized that I was tired of fixing that car, so I went to the Porsche dealer, drove a boxster, and then traded it in. Always onward and upward.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #45

Garage
I came across some more photos of the nannies I had growing up !
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #46

Garage
Hey guys,
This is great, I didn't expect the volume of responses to this thread. And the stories are really fun to read because they run the gamut from just bought it because I feel in love on the test drive to I always wanted a Porsche.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #47

My wife and I kind of fell into our first Porsche Boxster. We were looking for a 2005 Ford Thunderbird. After looking for the right car for at least 2 years and during that time test driving many examples of 2002-2005 T-Birds, we just did not find the wow car that we were willing to pay the price. So one day while surfing Craig's List I came across a 1998 Boxster.

I asked my wife if she would consider a Porsche. She had told me before but I had filed this memory away somewhere else in my mind. She grew up with Porsche. Her Mom and Dad both drove Porsche. Mom had a 914 and Dad had a 911. Dad still had another 911 when he died in 2000. Well a few hours later we were test driving the car and we were both "WOWED" we had to buy it. A year and a half later we had to move up to an "s". We purchased a 2000 "S" which we still have. For about 7 months we had 2 Boxsters. His and Hers. Now we just have the "S".

Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #48

Bruce, I'm building a little boutique resort on Isla Margarita, just south of the ABC's. I know, Chavez is a loon. That being said, the beach is amazing, I am a 5 minute drive from the only golf course on the island, there are no property taxes, the island is duty free and income tax maxes at 33% (and surprisingly, hasn't been raised once by Chavex in the13 years he has been in power). Cost of living is ridiculously cheap and the infrastructure is amazing for the Caribbean. The boat is a 40 foot catamaran that my wife and I are sailing down in fall of 2014 and we will have her wet moored in front of the property. I've also been thinking of shipping down the Boxster - there are some amazing mountain roads right around my property that are actually maintained quite well and, since gasoline is subsidized, it is only 16 cents a gallon for 95 octane!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #49
jakesbox

grew up in the 80's watching all the cool brat pack movies. Named my son Jake in part because of the guy in sixteen candles who drove the 944. Also fell in love with 928 in risky business only because of the sound.

Had a high school friend show up years later in a 944 turbo. He was about 24 yrs old and I thought he must be making a million bucks. That car was fast...fell in love again.

Moved to Florida a couple years ago and just really felt it was time for something cool! Bought a Speedster (replica) - gorgeous car with 2,000 miles on it...but in the end it was just a VW all dressed up. Sold it...sat for about a week and decided it was time to get a real porsche so my son and I would enjoy all this beautiful weather cruising around! Bought the Box back in March, have added decals, fabspeed exhaust, powder coated the wheels, and love the car. Still - someday I will have a 944 turbo and a 928!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #50

Simple story: Wife thought the motorcycle was too dangerous. Was impressed by beauty of 1999 Boxster and thought convertible would be fun. Discovered too late that the back of the seat was too low and I'd hit my head on the rollbar in case of a collision, and that the engine had the IMS problem. Also, wife decided she didn't like the convertible. Decided to trade but couldn't find anything else I liked. Considered the then-new 370Z but could not see well out of it. OTOH the 08 Cayman had better visibility and rode better than the Z, plus it had tall seats, no rollbar, the "improved" IMS, full new-car warranty, and was better looking than the Boxster or the Z. Wife loved it and dealer gave five figure discount at the depths of the recession, causing it to cost less than the 370Z. In 20-20 hindsight, I wish I'd shopped around for a Cayman with more factory accessories but it's still improving.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #51

How did I get into Porsches? Unlock car, pull door handle, bend over, get in.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #52
Carnut

Hmmmmmmm..... don't know how to start....

Porsche fan since "ever", started with a little model 911 which I modded already

Dad had a 911, one of the very first ones. Red over black. Me sitting in the back begging to rev the engine since it sounded so good. I even drove this car, I was like 12 years old. God, I miss my Dad!
I have a pic in my office showing my oldest daughter with my former C4 (red over black....) when she was little, she was sitting in the back, just like me 30 years earlier, egging me on!!

Not to brag too much but over the years I had amongst a lot of other rides:-

-'62 356
-'78 911 SC
-'86 928 S
-'92 964 cabrio
-'83 911 SC
-'89 C4
-'90 C2
-'04 Boxster S current
-'08 Cayenne S current

Just can't shake the addiction!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #53

First time I saw a Porsche (that I can remember) I was all of 8 or 9. Dad had a bright orange 1969 911. License plate read "sunkist". Used to love going everywhere and anywhere in that car. Dad had a variety of Porsches as I was growing up, but this one stuck in my head as my first Porsche experience.

However, for me it started in high school. I was big into corvettes and 'Merican muscle. Then, one day, dad brought home a blue 1992 968 Cabrio. I learned to drive a manual, and drove it around (sometimes with permission) and instantly fell in love. I then on my lunch hours would go to the local Porsche dealer and drool quite frequently. Finally, I went in, they offered me a job as a porter. took that, paid $12.00/hr to drive Porsches around. sold!

After 6 months or so, there was a new kid hired. Doug. Doug had a 1987 924S. He went and bought an MR2 Spyder, and needed to unload his 924S fairly quickly. I talked to dad, and He tells me that I can purchase the 924 if I sold my 1993 Maxima SE (180K on the clock, sounded like a sewing machine) for Doug's $3,000.00 asking price. I had a week to do it before Doug would just submit the 924 to the dealer and take a low trade in price. Dad didn't think it could happen. put the Maxima in the paper, the next day it sold. the next day at school, I was rockin my first Porsche. Drove it through college.

After graduating college, I decided I wanted something with a little more power. Loved my 924, but it was slow. Bought a 944 Turbo S. drove that for a couple years, modified it, made it ridiculously fast to the point where it scared me should I drive it on the track.

During one of my mod sessions, I went to put a bigger turbo on it. rebuilt the lower end, and did what I could to make it powerful and reliable. The new turbo came apart within a mile, and I became frustrated. put the old turbo back on, and bought my BMW as a daily. Eventually I sold my 951, and bought my Boxster. Loved my 951. loved it. But, though it has 60 less HP, the Boxster I think looks nicer, handles better, and is overall a nicer car than the 951 and a clear step up. We'll see where the future takes me in Porsches.... but I look forward to it.

Last edited by Mighty Shilling; 10-31-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Mighty Shilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
grew up in the 80's watching all the cool brat pack movies. Named my son Jake in part because of the guy in sixteen candles who drove the 944. Also fell in love with 928 in risky business only because of the sound.

Had a high school friend show up years later in a 944 turbo. He was about 24 yrs old and I thought he must be making a million bucks. That car was fast...fell in love again.

Moved to Florida a couple years ago and just really felt it was time for something cool! Bought a Speedster (replica) - gorgeous car with 2,000 miles on it...but in the end it was just a VW all dressed up. Sold it...sat for about a week and decided it was time to get a real porsche so my son and I would enjoy all this beautiful weather cruising around! Bought the Box back in March, have added decals, fabspeed exhaust, powder coated the wheels, and love the car. Still - someday I will have a 944 turbo and a 928!
Cool story and similar to mine. The 928 was my dream car for a long time. It was the 944 turbo that took it's place. I'm on my 2nd 944 turbo and loving it. I swear I'll never get rid of this car. It's not just the balance and handling of this car it's also how much power do you want... and balance and handling to make full use of it.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #55

My dad had 944's before I could even remember them, my aunt "gave" me a rust bucket 356 Super 90 that never moved under its own power before we sold it. However the defining moment was when my dad picked my up from school in his '95 993 and took a quick 90 degree right hand turn at speed. I was hooked. I got a 944 at 16 and the Boxster at 23. I have a feeling I will always own a Porsche or two or three....
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #56

Cool

I got the bug in high school, looking for my first car. My neighbor had a 914/6 with fire damage in the engine compartment. My dad laughed when I asked for a loan, said there was no way I could get it running. That week, he bought it for himself, got it running, and let me drive it quite a bit through the years.
Shortly after that, he bought a 924, then a 944. Living in Germany, I couldn't pass up the chance to drive one in its natural habitat. I'm hooked now, and shopping for a Cayman

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote